2021-22 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training ... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2021-22 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training ...

The Yankees and Gio Urshela have agreed to a $6.55 million deal for 2022, per source.

The Yankees and Domingo German agreed to a $1.75 million contract for 2022, per source.

Last edited:
Why can't the Yankees ever get pitchers like Paxton...

Red Sox seem to be in maximum troll the Yankees mode. First they grab then release Locastro. Then they sign Refsnyder and Paxton. Good thing the Yankees tendered contracts to Sanchez and Voit or we’d probably be watching them pound the green monster next year.

The Yankees have three great players currently in their primes (Cole, Judge, Stanton). I think this is a "win now" situation since you do not want to waste these years. I would try to keep Rizzo, but I would want a short term-high salary deal. I'm sure that's not what he will want, but I don't know if there are teams out there who will give him five years.

They need more guys who can hit for average, get on base and run the bases.

Teams who only hit HRs are all the rage, but you have to be able to just get on base in the post-season, when pitching is way better than hitters face during the long grind of the regular season.

Teams who only hit HRs are all the rage, but you have to be able to just get on base in the post-season, when pitching is way better than hitters face during the long grind of the regular season.
That is a myth.

Homers are still the key to winning in playoffs

“Winning percentage when outhomering your opponent, 1969-2020
Regular season: .736
Postseason: .780

It's tightened a little over the last decade ...

Winning percentage when outhomering your opponent, 2010-2020
Regular season: .762
Postseason: .775”

P.S. I don’t know the 2021 numbers.

“Sanchez Baby”​

(Sung to “Santa Baby,” assist by Rob Ricco)

Sanchez baby
Catch a slider outside the zone, for me
You’ve been a disappointing Yankee Sanchez baby
So hurry to the backstop tonight

Chapman baby
Don’t throw the hanger when you can hit 103
No smiles when the save goes badly
Chapman baby
And hurry to the DL tonight.

Think of all the cash Hal’s mined
Think of all the stars he could’ve signed
Next year we coulda won the whole cigar
If Cash had only signed Storey or Seagar

Cashman cutie
Fill your lineup with righty dreck
Those checks,
Stanton signed right here on the X
Cashman baby,
Don’t give us analytics tonight

Wade is fungible, not really a big issue. Gittens being released is because there is probably someone the Yankees intend to take in the Rule 5 draft who they didn't think would be available (or some team in Japan reached out and said they had money for him).

The Yankees rotation was not the problem in 2021. The offense was and so far there hasn't been anything done to address that. 10/325 is a lot for a guy like Seager, but if any team should be flexing financially, it's the Yankees. I'd be happy to move Gallo, get a new LF/CF, SS, and trade for Olson. Done.

I know the game has changed this past 10 years or so, with the boom or bust of strikeouts or home runs, and seemingly nothing in between. Launch angle, 13 pitchers on the roster, everyone seems to have 5 guys who throw 100 mph.

But they don't play baseball anymore. It's like they're trying to build a championship team that can only play one part of the game offensively. On the defensive side of the ball, the Yankees always seem to have a great bullpen and are a couple starters short of what the best teams have in the playoffs.

When it comes down to winning 1-0 and 2-1 games to advance in the playoffs, big HR / big Strike Out hitters exclusively has been shown not to work.

You have to be able to steal a base, have to have a few guys who can make contact, put the ball in play, advance runners. You need to be able to do that when you go up against a really elite pitcher. It's like the Yankees forgot all about that 10 years ago.

When it comes down to winning 1-0 and 2-1 games to advance in the playoffs, big HR / big Strike Out hitters exclusively has been shown not to work.
You have to be able to steal a base, have to have a few guys who can make contact, put the ball in play, advance runners. You need to be able to do that when you go up against a really elite pitcher. It's like the Yankees forgot all about that 10 years ago.
I’ll post this again:

That is a myth.

I’ll post this again:

That is a myth.

I've seen the Yankees lose too many times in the post-season in the past because they couldn't scratch out runs against dominating starting pitchers.

You may have stats and analytics behind you, but sometimes things just don't pass the Eye Test, or match past experience.

Stats aren't everything. Over-reliance on them has ruined baseball, in my opinion.

Maybe part of your statistical evidence is just reflecting current trends in game management, rather than being a causal effect.

I’ll post this again:

That is a myth.

I think this can be misinterpreted because there's really only one winner.

You can have the winning strategy and not end up the winner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom