2021 Men's Div I Bracket

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

D1LAX2.png

1620828451361.png

1620835476757.png

HEMPSTEAD (N.Y.) QUARTERFINAL BRACKET

Chapel Hill, N.C.
(1) North Carolina (11-2) vs. Monmouth (8-2)
Saturday 12 p.m. ET (ESPNU)

Charlottesville, Va.
(8) Lehigh (10-1) vs. Rutgers (8-3)
Saturday 2:30 p.m. ET (ESPNU)

College Park, Md.
(5) Georgetown (12-2) vs. Syracuse (7-5)
Saturday 7:30 p.m. ET (ESPNU)

Charlottesville, Va.
(4) Virginia (10-4) vs. Bryant (9-3)
Sunday 12 p.m. ET (ESPNU)

SOUTH BEND (IND.) QUARTERFINAL BRACKET

College Park, Md.
(3) Maryland (12-0) vs. Vermont (9-4)
Sunday 2:30 p.m. ET (ESPNU)

Denver, Colo.
(6) Notre Dame (7-3) vs. Drexel (10-2)
Saturday 5 p.m. ET (ESPNU)

Denver, Colo.
(7) Denver (12-4) vs. Loyola (9-5)
Sunday 7:30 p.m. ET (ESPNU)

Chapel Hill, N.C.
(2) Duke (12-2) vs. High Point (8-5)
Sunday 5 p.m. ET (ESPNU)

Just an awful selection show. No need to split men and women. Terrible effort.

Maryland gets hosed, being lined up to play the #6 seed Notre Dame out in South Bend in the quarterfinals, even though Notre Dame finished 3rd in the ACC.

Maryland gets hosed, being lined up to play the #6 seed Notre Dame out in South Bend in the quarterfinals, even though Notre Dame finished 3rd in the ACC.
Ranking Georgetown ahead of Notre Dame is ridiculous. Ranking UVA ahead of Notre Dame is ridiculous.

+250? What do those numbers relate to?

I certainly wouldn't pick Maryland as the favorite. Having to play ND in South Bend is probably close to 50-50. While UNC is probably around 75% in their quarterfinal matchup and Duke is probably at least 65% the favorite in their quarterfinal match-up.

Then most likely Duke and Maryland have to tee off, while UNC most likely gets UVA.
So I would make UNC the favorite by a good margin with Duke next then Maryland.

Respectfully, why is UMD hosed? Their conference set them up to be critiqued by not playing OOC. They should have fought harder or simply played OOC anyway. No one disputes that UMD, UNC, and Duke are virtually interchangeable with no other data points to separate them.

I expect UMD to match up well with ND. I expect UMD to prove their chops and play on Memorial Day weekend.

If you want to claim UMD was hosed look no further than the conference or UMD's AD. Science and discipline had already proved the kids were safe (see the gridiron and hardwoods), there was no need for the B1G's decision to play conference only.

UMD will be fine, enjoy the ride.

Maryland definitely has the toughest road to the Championship if all the favorites win along the way. Having to play Notre Dame in South Bend only adds to it.

Maryland definitely has the toughest road to the Championship if all the favorites win along the way. Having to play Notre Dame in South Bend only adds to it.
Fair point but the committee didn't hose UMD. If anyone hosed UMD, you have to look at the B1G and or UMD's AD.

You cannot blame the committee for seeding UMD so high when their record is 3-0 against Top 10 teams, 1 more in the Top 20, no wins in the Top 5. Granted, an undefeated season is impressive but the lack of an earth shattering win against the Top 5 is missing. I get why you feel the way you do, but this board has regularly made the case that UMD, UNC and Duke were the elites this spring and were interchangeable.

If it makes you feel better, blame Rutgers or JHU. They could have done more to improve your ranking had they been ranked higher. Besides, blaming Rutgers will spur on their hatred for you and then it will become entertaining...just a thought...

Last edited:
Fair point but the committee didn't hose UMD. If anyone hosed UMD, you have to look at the B1G and or UMD's AD.

You cannot blame the committee for seeding UMD so high when their record is 3-0 against Top 10 teams, 1 more in the Top 20, no wins in the Top 5. Granted, an undefeated season is impressive but the lack of an earth shattering win against the Top 5 is missing. I get why you feel the way you do, but this board has regularly made the case that UMD, UNC and Duke were the elites this spring and were interchangeable.

If it makes you feel better, blame Rutgers or JHU. They could have done more to improve your ranking had they been ranked higher. Besides, blaming Rutgers will spur on their hatred for you and then it will be one entertaining...just a thought...
I certainly can blame the committee for doing that, but that is not the whole crux of the matter.
The other part of the matter is making Notre Dame, who I feel is the #4 team and the coaches poll has at #4, the #6 seed. Further, Notre Dame has the quarterfinals on their home field. This has nothing to do with the Big Ten. If Maryland were lined up to play Georgetown in the quarterfinals, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I certainly can blame the committee for doing that, but that is not the whole crux of the matter.
The other part of the matter is making Notre Dame, who I feel is the #4 team and the coaches poll has at #4, the #6 seed. Further, Notre Dame has the quarterfinals on their home field. This has nothing to do with the Big Ten. If Maryland were lined up to play Georgetown in the quarterfinals, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
I think flipping #4 UVa and #6 ND might have solved the problem.

I think flipping #4 UVa and #6 ND might have solved the problem.
md and rutgers already got to catch a huge break for their seeding and in rutgers' case, their inclusion.

there's no mandate for that to have to be elevated all through the tournament. md already gets the "14" in round one. @ home.

uva had better numbers than nd. and the head to head. nd of course had better numbers than umd, by a lot. their reward is a streaking drexel.

at the least, the committee lined up conferences in opposite brackets and quadrants. time to go play.

Lot of Orange in the top 5.

2010, 2011, 2014
Cuse won't have any added pressure of being a tournament fav or even a favorite in any round. Last in according to some so perhaps can make their own history by pulling off a string of upsets .

Never ever should have lost in 2014, that was a champ level team. Desko was completely outcoached that game.

I always thought 2015 was the last good opportunity to win it all with that senior class. 2014 team was good but below average at the X (a familiar trend) and I don't ever thinking I thought they could win it all. I do think the 2010 squad def had a great shot to get the 3 peat so that loss still stings.

I always thought 2015 was the last good opportunity to win it all with that senior class. 2014 team was good but below average at the X (a familiar trend) and I don't ever thinking I thought they could win it all. I do think the 2010 squad def had a great shot to get the 3 peat so that loss still stings.

I think both 2014 and 2015 could have won but I agree 2015 was the best out of the three. The 2010 team I think was a bit overrated, if you go back and look at some of the scores and games, they scrapped by a few they shouldn't have and that offense never fully got going. 2011 got stall balled by Maryland who knew they couldn't run with us and we played right into it of course. 2015 was the one that really stung, that team just had some lapses defensively that ended up costing them and of course Staats not being 100%. That Hop game they finally woke up 1 min to late.

I think both 2014 and 2015 could have won but I agree 2015 was the best out of the three. The 2010 team I think was a bit overrated, if you go back and look at some of the scores and games, they scrapped by a few they shouldn't have and that offense never fully got going. 2011 got stall balled by Maryland who knew they couldn't run with us and we played right into it of course. 2015 was the one that really stung, that team just had some lapses defensively that ended up costing them and of course Staats not being 100%. That Hop game they finally woke up 1 min to late.

The losses to Army and Bryant were definitely bigger upsets, but 2015 against Hopkins was the most frustrating, and I think that was the most talented team of the 2010's. Ben Williams, Rice, Donahue, Galasso, Lecky and Schoonmaker. The only playoff loss where they won the majority of the face-offs too.

The losses to Army and Bryant were definitely bigger upsets, but 2015 against Hopkins was the most frustrating, and I think that was the most talented team of the 2010's. Ben Williams, Rice, Donahue, Galasso, Lecky and Schoonmaker. The only playoff loss where they won the majority of the face-offs too.

Yup, loss was 100% on the defense versus a team we struggled with but beat earlier in the year. The inability to defend the big little game and a crap goalie playing his best game of the season were classic SU issues that killed us. Of course JHU getting rocked the next game (same as Bryant in 2014) made it all that more infuriating. That 2015 game is the one that I think Desko will ultimately regret the most when he hangs it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom