2020-21 MLB Off-Season thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2020-21 MLB Off-Season thread

Watching pitchers attempt to hit does nothing for me.
You would use pitch hitters.
The bench would matter.
If a starting pitcher went out after 5 or 6 innings the spot in the lineup would likely come up 1 or 2 times most games.

This rule change would incorporate both leagues rules and make SP matter.
It would cause these openers to become less frequent or force teams to put who they wanted to DH in the field.

What? Haha. No. Why so convoluted?

Just make DH universal and be done w it.

Starting pitching is still plenty important. There is absolutely nothing wrong with openers and bullpen games every once in awhile.

Game 2 of a playoff series just to move onto Happ? Meh, not so much, but that’s for a different thread.
Starting pitching has become less important.
Teams are using the bullpen a lot.
Some teams use only a couple of starters.

The bench would matter.
If a starting pitcher went out after 5 or 6 innings the spot in the lineup would likely come up 1 or 2 times most games.

It would cause these openers to become less frequent or force teams to put who they wanted to DH in the field.
Why do we want any of that?

I don’t want pinch hitters to be wasted early in a key game because a pitcher is struggling and I don’t want a DH forced into the field or forced out of the lineup.

An opener game happens once a week, at most, who cares? It’s still baseball - you should be allowed to use your pitchers how you feel gives you the best advantage over 162 games.

What teams only have a “couple of starters?”
Red Sox, Orioles, Blue Jays, Rays, A’s all used bullpen games multiple times a week.
Pretty almost every team is doing it atleast one of every 6 games.

This idea isn’t a problem for me. It gets uniforms rules for the AL and NL.

Why do we want any of that?

I don’t want pinch hitters to be wasted early in a key game because a pitcher is struggling and I don’t want a DH forced into the field or forced out of the lineup.

An opener game happens once a week, at most, who cares? It’s still baseball - you should be allowed to use your pitchers how you feel gives you the best advantage over 162 games.
You would be allowed to use your pitchers however long you want.
You just lose the DH.

Red Sox, Orioles, Blue Jays, Rays, A’s all used bullpen games multiple times a week.
Pretty almost every team is doing it atleast one of every 6 games.

This idea isn’t a problem for me. It gets uniforms rules for the AL and NL.
It’s a terrible rule, if implemented, and honestly would piss me off. Changes the game dramatically.

Baseball doesn’t need to be fixed.

It’s a terrible rule, if implemented, and honestly would piss me off. Changes the game dramatically.

Baseball doesn’t need to be fixed.
You can dislike it and I am sure plenty of people agree with you.
I don’t see it as dramatically changing the game.
Plenty of NL teams pull their pitcher from the lineup because they are due to bat when they could still pitch.
Those pitcher would remain the game.
It would basically make starting pitching matter more than it has become.
In the World Series Blake Snell wouldn’t be pulled early with a one-hitter because of stupid analytics without TB being willing to lose their DH.

The bench would matter.

I don’t mind openers or pitching changes, especially when they occur between innings.

You would be allowed to use your pitchers however long you want.
You just lose the DH.
Baseball doesn’t need good bats out of the lineup.

What if you’re trying to keep your best bat in the lineup but give him a day off from playing defense? Then your pitcher is shizzing the bed in the 2nd inning.... so now your down a bunch of runs and if you still want to give your guy a day off from fielding for load management then one of your best bats is out of the lineup.

As a fan, I want that bat in the lineup more than I want to force a team to start shizzy starting pitchers.

Plenty of NL teams pull their pitcher from the lineup because they are due to bat when they could still pitch.
In the World Series Blake Snell wouldn’t be pulled early with a one-hitter because of stupid analytics without TB being willing to lose their DH.
Analytics is great but not perfect. The Rays and the Yanks both made huge blunders this post season for the sake of analytics. Hopefully common sense can gain a bit more traction in an analytic world because of these glaring mistakes on the big stage.

I don’t want a rule to force that. The smart organizations will figure it out.

i like it.

do that and drop that stupid # of batter a pitcher needs to pitch to rule.

you mean back to the days where players made more like Avg people salaries.. you can do both.. cap salaries at 5 million, lower ticket prices by 75% and if owner make more because of that fine. we seem to except amazon/google etc pretty much doing that model..
The problem is the world is too globalized now. If MLB capped salaries at $5 million, superstars would leave for Japan and make 2-3x that amount. It's all theoretical. Once the genie is out of the bottle (i.e. astronomical salaries), it is very difficult to go back.

well japan would have to change alot of rules as well since they cap how many non japan players can be on a roster

well japan would have to change alot of rules as well since they cap how many non japan players can be on a roster
Again this is all theoretical, and very unlikely to happen. I would bet that Japan would be more than willing to change the rules if they could get the best players in the world. Those odds are much higher than MLB ever capping salaries at $5 million. They would only do that in a global depression or if MLB was on the verge of death as an industry.

They aren’t getting Correa.
The guy is Mr. Houston.
The team let Springer go so they can afford him.

The Ship be sinking. These are not your 2017 Astros anymore.

BTW, If that does be the case. Javy Baez, Corey Seager, Trevor Story are Free Agent SS. We could do same thing Trade Voit move DJ to 1b, Shift Gio to SS, Gleyber to 2B, and add 3B Kris Bryant, Nolan Arenado, Jose Ramirez are free agents.

The Ship be sinking. These are not your 2017 Astros anymore.

BTW, If that does be the case. Javy Baez, Corey Seager, Trevor Story are Free Agent SS. We could do same thing Trade Voit move DJ to 1b, Shift Gio to SS, Gleyber to 2B, and add 3B Kris Bryant, Nolan Arenado, Jose Ramirez are free agents.
They made it to game 7 of the ALCS.

They aren’t going to be terrible.
They have talent.
The team will have money to spend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online