2021 team Gets Rated Yikes? | Syracusefan.com

2021 team Gets Rated Yikes?

Not surprised. If we win again consistently, then we will move up.

We are closer to UConn and KU than the teams we are grouped with. OHANA!

So they’re saying next season will be Dino’s last as HC at Syracuse. I wouldn’t say that. I suspect we are a .500 team. Might not be enough for Dino to save his job but get in a bowl and win it and I think we’ll see a Year 7.

I remember the posters who said we were a lot better than last years projections, I’m waiting for those posts.
We are seeing wild swings for several teams from year to year. I think it is evidence that there are a lot of programs in the conference that are very close to each other in terms of talent, depth and coaching.

For many in the conference, all it takes is one or two key players to get hurt and things can go south in a hurry.

Teams like Louisville, NC State, Duke and Syracuse rise and fall dramatically from year to year.

It is kind of scary but also kind of reassuring to know it does not take a miracle to have a major turnaround from a bad season to a very good one.

The key to consistency, I think, is building depth. Most any team in the conference can be good in a given year. Sustained excellence takes building quality depth. That is very hard to do.

Does college football really matter after the 6-8 factory schools that sit at the top? No other program even has a chance at a playoff spot. 95% of the league has no shot at a championship and is just jockeying between an invite to the Pinstripe Bowl or an invite to the Champ Sports Bowl.

Does college football really matter after the 6-8 factory schools that sit at the top? No other program even has a chance at a playoff spot. 95% of the league has no shot at a championship and is just jockeying between an invite to the Pinstripe Bowl or an invite to the Champ Sports Bowl.

Yep, agree 100% on this. I would say it's 4-5 schools and the rest just jockeying for a decent warm weather bowl. It's really Bama and Clemson OSU, Oklahoma, and maybe one SEC school like LSU can pop up. ND is never going to beat Alabama, they just won't

Teams can go from seemingly invincible to good/average very quickly. Nebraska, Tennessee, Miami, FSU, Florida, USC were the factory schools in the 90s/2000s and then suddenly they weren't.

Teams can go from seemingly invincible to good/average very quickly. Nebraska, Tennessee, Miami, FSU, Florida, USC were the factory schools in the 90s/2000s and then suddenly they weren't.
I use to be naive enough as a fan to think that our program in the 90’s/2000s could go from good to top 10 like the programs listed. But now college football has shifted in just the last 10 years to a point where the same 4-5 factory schools can stay at the top, regardless of who the coaches/leadership are.

Individually their brand is stronger that the rest of the collective NCAA non-factory schools combined. They might as well be pro teams.

I use to be naive enough as a fan to think that our program in the 90’s/2000s could go from good to top 10 like the programs listed. But now college football has shifted in just the last 10 years to a point where the same 4-5 factory schools can stay at the top, regardless of who the coaches/leadership are.

Individually their brand is stronger that the rest of the collective NCAA non-factory schools combined. They might as well be pro teams.

I tend to agree with you. I just have trouble seeing Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma fall too far with what they have built.

We are a lot better than predictions for next year.
I agree we are better, we have to be, it’s not possible to be much worse. I just don’t know that we’re “a lot better”. I hope we are, I don’t mind losses if we look functional or on the cusp of being functional. I just don’t think at this point there’s anything wrong with a, let’s wait and see approach since we’ve had more losing seasons that winning ones.

The way Alabama recruits and develops, they're honestly more of a minor league team than a college team. The gap between their athleticism and Ohio State's was comical.
You forgot pay along with recruit and develop.

I agree we are better, we have to be, it’s not possible to be much worse. I just don’t know that we’re “a lot better”. I hope we are, I don’t mind losses if we look functional or on the cusp of being functional. I just don’t think at this point there’s anything wrong with a, let’s wait and see approach since we’ve had more losing seasons that winning ones.

should drop football and join the big east, after all what’s the point

A lot of this is based on the 20 season, a season in which we played with 6 or 7 healthy offensive linemen. Add half the season without a legit QB. I’m not buying it. I believe we will be very different in 21. So I plan to put on my Orange colored glasses, Gulp down a couple pitcher of kool aid and get Psyched for my return to the dome and a couple of Texas Marks away tailgates !

Last edited:
The way Alabama recruits and develops, they're honestly more of a minor league team than a college team. The gap between their athleticism and Ohio State's was comical.
This year was the first time Bama went undefeated since 2009. They're obviously a well oiled machine, but they lose games every year to often good but not great teams.

should drop football and join the big east, after all what’s the point

For as crazy as it seems now, we were two 50/50 whistles away from that conversation two years ago (and I know if that UNC TE catches that shoestring ball but whatever, breaks are breaks).

I think there’s a chance for a PAC-12 school (probably just Oregon or USC after a coaching change) to emerge into that top tier group. The overall conference is down which lets you stack up wins if you’re pretty good and gives a favorable path to playoff contention/relevancy. And there’s a ton of talent on the west coast that leaves so if they can be the “cool” school and get a chunk of them to stay home they can get some real momentum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom