2021 Tokyo Olympic Basketball... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

2021 Tokyo Olympic Basketball...

Jeremi Grant extends the Gold medal streak for the USA and Syracuse.
4 gold medal winning teams in a row for the USA. 4 times a Syracuse player on the team.

I think we are the only school with a winner on the USA men’s team the last 4 Olympics.

Edit: We are one of two. Kentucky had Prince on the 2008 team. I forgot.
Davis-2012, Cousins-2016 and Adabayo 2020.
One of two colleges represented the last 4 winners.

Last edited:
Jeremi Grant extends the Gold medal streak for the USA and Syracuse.
4 gold medal winning teams in a row for the USA. 4 times a Syracuse player on the team.

I think we are the only school with a winner on the USA men’s team the last 4 Olympics.

Edit: We are one of two. Kentucky had Prince on the 2008 team. I forgot.
Davis-2012, Cousins-2016 and Adabayo 2020.
One of two colleges represented the last 4 winners.
Not that it’s really anything to brag about in this context, but there weren’t any UK players on the 2004 team. We’re the only school with an alum on the last five squads.

Don't forget Marty Glickman. He would have won a gold medal in the 1936 games in Berlin if he hadn't been pulled from the relay team in order to appease Hitler's anti-Semitism. He was later given a plaque by the U.S. Committee commemorating his "lost medal."

Last edited:
Don't forget Marty Glickman. He would have won a gold medal in the 1936 games in Berlin if he hadn't been pulled from the relay team in order to appease Hitler's anti-Semitism. He was later given a plaque by the U.S. Committee commemorating his "lost medal."

I might be misremembering, but the NY Giants played a preseason game in Berlin in August 1994, and Glickman went on the trip as an announcer.

He mentioned that it was his 1st trip back since 1936.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the FIBA game. France was impressive, that guard took our guys to the tin a lot.

Durant has a timeless game.
I don't care for the inconsistent offiicating, but I like that some post play still exists. It would have been great to have a Ewing, Malone, Robinson, Shaq, or Olajuwan on this team.

I don't care for the inconsistent offiicating, but I like that some post play still exists. It would have been great to have a Ewing, Malone, Robinson, Shaq, or Olajuwan on this team.

I'd rather have more physical play than whistles over cheap contact. But I'm getting crusty in middle age. :)

I'd love those guys too, and wish that play was rewarded in today's NBA.

Lots of talk about the women’s team being the greatest dynasty in the history of world sport. I tend to feel that is a little over the top. I see them as clearly excellent but playing against a field that hasn’t really fully engaged in the game yet. Sort of like the US men’s team in the 30’s through 70’s. The rest of the world just wasn’t that into basketball yet. Also the way I see UConn in women’s basketball, only a few other schools truly have been engaged during most of their run so it’s not like other sports in terms of competition. If a men’s college team won hundreds of games in a row and/or was winning championship games by 40+ points, it would be nearly a miracle. UConn doing it is sort of meh. Tells me the sport hasn’t matured yet in terms of engagement across a wide range of programs.

Lots of talk about the women’s team being the greatest dynasty in the history of world sport. I tend to feel that is a little over the top. I see them as clearly excellent but playing against a field that hasn’t really fully engaged in the game yet. Sort of like the US men’s team in the 30’s through 70’s. The rest of the world just wasn’t that into basketball yet. Also the way I see UConn in women’s basketball, only a few other schools truly have been engaged during most of their run so it’s not like other sports in terms of competition. If a men’s college team won hundreds of games in a row and/or was winning championship games by 40+ points, it would be nearly a miracle. UConn doing it is sort of meh. Tells me the sport hasn’t matured yet in terms of engagement across a wide range of programs.
UConn hasn't won since 2016 though.

The larger point--the rest of the world, specifically the USSR, was fully engaged. They dominated basketball through the 80's and into the '90's. The US did not win until '96. The Title IX revolution was bearing fruit by then. It's no accident that 60% of the medals garnered by the USA in Tokyo were won by women. Women's "Olympic sports" at the collegiate level have improved, while some men's sports--like volleyball, wrestling, maybe water polo, and some others have been squeezed, being dropped entirely on more than a few campuses.

Agreed, and the men won 7 in a row from 1936-1968. In that period, two olympics were lost to WW2, so likely would have been 9. Then, 1972 was the screw job of all screw jobs, all the while our college kids were playing against communist men. Our men owned the sport from 1936 to 1984. It's concievable that without war and a boycott they should've won 13 in a row.

Agreed, and the men won 7 in a row from 1936-1968. In that period, two olympics were lost to WW2, so likely would have been 9. Then, 1972 was the screw job of all screw jobs, all the while our college kids were playing against communist men. Our men owned the sport from 1936 to 1984. It's concievable that without war and a boycott they should've won 13 in a row.

Communist men and corrupt FIBA officials.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom