2022-23 Coaching Carousel | Syracusefan.com

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

Ohhhhhhh boooyyyyyyyyy

What’s next the Official fan transfer thread? Where’s randygoduke when you need him ??

Do they give Petro a call and does he show any interest?

Can't see Petro having any interest in a school like St. Johns. Your talking a major major rebuild and a place that even he would struggle to recruit high end guys. A place like Michigan would make a lot more sense if that came open. Plus he's probably being paid more here as an assistant then he would as a HC there.

Providence coach Chris Gabriell out as well

Can't see Petro having any interest in a school like St. Johns. Your talking a major major rebuild and a place that even he would struggle to recruit high end guys. A place like Michigan would make a lot more sense if that came open. Plus he's probably being paid more here as an assistant then he would as a HC there.

As a side note, Petro's father worked at St. John's for something like 40-50 years. Might have a soft spot for the program even though it's clearly in need of a major rebuild. Could also be the best Petro can do in terms of head coaching opportunities. He's not exactly a young star on the rise

That’s kind of why I started this thread. I feel like every new opening is an opportunity for Petro to move on, might as well keep track of them.

I guess the question is, is an assistant job at an ACC or adjacent school better than a head job at a non? I have to think the money is pretty similar. Like you say he probably doesn’t get too many, if any more bites at the apple. But after this year he might just jump at the best thing available. Penn State or Michigan might be the next big schools to have openings (far from certain of course) but I have a hard time seeing them reach out to Petro. I also doubt he chooses to follow Tabroni since they are very close but that’s a tangent for another day.

I also have a hard time envisioning him coaching against his son at UNC twice a year for the next two years, especially when Dom is an attackman, and he’s a defensive coordinator. Maybe a Providence or St Johns does make sense.

That’s kind of why I started this thread. I feel like every new opening is an opportunity for Petro to move on, might as well keep track of them.

I guess the question is, is an assistant job at an ACC or adjacent school better than a head job at a non? I have to think the money is pretty similar. Like you say he probably doesn’t get too many, if any more bites at the apple. But after this year he might just jump at the best thing available. Penn State or Michigan might be the next big schools to have openings (far from certain of course) but I have a hard time seeing them reach out to Petro. I also doubt he chooses to follow Tabroni since they are very close but that’s a tangent for another day.

I also have a hard time envisioning him coaching against his son at UNC twice a year for the next two years, especially when Dom is an attackman, and he’s a defensive coordinator. Maybe a Providence or St Johns does make sense.

Providence and St Johns keep falling farther and farther behind Georgetown and Denver in the Big East.

Almost impossible to recruit there.

Ya I can't see Petro going there at this point in his career.

I mean...will any of the big jobs ever really consider him? The rebuild at Syracuse is at minimum 3-4 years. In that time, young coaches like Galloway, Chamotti, Kirwan, Wellner, Wray are all building resumes that would be more appealing than an aging coach with a lot of red flags. St Johns or Prov might be as good as it gets for Petro.

I've been to the Providence campus and facilities when Galloway was there as an assistant. Really nice. I would say that's a better option than St. John's. Providence has had a decent team over the past few years.
Might be a good place for Petro to start over without being under the microscope.

FS_Ed9LX0AE_TXO

Most likely a Desko situation where he was shown the door and allowed to call it leaving on his own right? Not a great look to let him go after two years with a pretty meh bunch to work with on offense. Could be tough for them to get a strong new hire.

Developing:

Hop's in a real bad spot right now. If you believe the rumblings Milliman is already getting a ton of heat from the alumni base and with Rutty's rise they risk falling into a 3rd/4th place battle. They do have some high quality recruits coming in next year on offense but assuming Epstein bolts they don't return much outside of Degnon and a few others with Desimone and Keogh graduating. They bring back most of their Defense but lose their goalie, a starting close defender and one of the LSM's.

Hop's in a real bad spot right now. If you believe the rumblings Milliman is already getting a ton of heat from the alumni base and with Rutty's rise they risk falling into a 3rd/4th place battle. They do have some high quality recruits coming in next year on offense but assuming Epstein bolts they don't return much outside of Degnon and a few others with Desimone and Keogh graduating. They bring back most of their Defense but lose their goalie, a starting close defender and one of the LSM's.
I think their hire of the UMBC guy as defensive coordinator is keeping them afloat. It is the only one of the three hires that they seem to have gotten right, but he is doing a great job and the D looks rock solid, with minimal highly ranked guys. Everything else is a mess though. Won't even try to separate fact from fiction with the Epstein benching but, as we say so often, "not a great look."

this should help accelerate the page count for the Hopkins 2023 thread over on fanlax. They're up to 12 and the quarter finals haven't been played yet.

Between this and the handful of Rutgers Fans who predictably now think their Duke and have started to infiltrate every other thread its gonna be a banner few weeks for the Hop thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom