2022 Syracuse Mets thread | Syracusefan.com

2022 Syracuse Mets thread

SWC75

Bored Historian
I thought there should be a thread for our local baseball team, the Syracuse Mets. I call them the SMets to distinguish them from the parent club.

Today was the real opening of the season for me- I can only watch baseball on warm, comfortable days. This was the first one this year with a home game. There's nothing light sunlight and fresh air to get you going after a long winter season. I had more energy than I've had in months. There were early frustrations. I wanted a diet coke and got in the line for a pizza place that said that "20oz bottled Coca-cola products $5". It took five minutes to do the line only to me told that they really didn't have bottled coke products. I pointed out the menu and was "I don't know why is says that". i got in another line that took more like 15 minutes because they didn't have enough people working there, (two in back, two -sometimes one- in front). I finally got my coke and went to my seat only to find someone else sitting in it. That guy told me he was sitting there because somebody took his seat. This could have created a scene, but the day was so beautiful and the site of the field and ballpark so beautiful and we'd waited so long for a day like this, neither of us got upset. There were some other used seats and I announced I would just sit in one of them and if someone showed asking for that seat and there was no place to move, the guy in my seat said he would seek another location. We just sat down to enjoy the game, (and nobody else showed up).

It was an exciting game with a lot of scoring threats, most of them thwarted by the pitchers and defense. There were lots of fly balls to the outfield and I continued to be amazed at how the outfielders can pick up those white balls in the bright sky. there was a great, sliding catch after which the PA system played the theme from 'Superman'. I like to spend the last few innings peregrinating around the park. I went from the elevated deck in left, (where you can look down on the relievers warming up - I don't think our side-armer actually puts his foot on the rubber), around the main concourse, walked under the restaurant and out to the party deck in right. For the first time, I was out there when a home run was hit there, and it was a SMets home run that gave us the lead in the 8th inning after being behind the whole game. the game ended on a spectacular double play in the top of the 9th. The Smets, who started out 1-10 won 5 of 6 in this series with the Worcester Red Sox, thought to be one of the league's best teams and it appears that we may have a decent team here this year after all.

The place is a palace. the renovations done there far exceed what they've done with the Dome, (although Wildhack isn't finished there). If God was a Mets fan, heaven would look like our ballpark. They even have massive portraits of Tom Seaver and Mike Piazza. Everything is done in the Mets colors. There are picnic tables, standing tables and a shelf you can rest your arms on watching the game in several places. they also have tables with four seats around them behind home plate with menus you can access with your phone, (I assume there's some kind of waiter service there. the restaurant in right has windows they can open, and you can sit there eating your meal while you watch the game. Even if you aren't a Mets fan, you can be a SMets fan and enjoy a visit to our ballpark. if you live in the Syracuse area, you owe it to yourself to take yourself out to the ballpark this spring and summer.

Screen-Shot-2021-09-09-at-3.07.33-PM.png

The Smets hit 4 home runs- including three in a row, to win the opening game of a double-header 9-4. They lost the finale 4-6. Alvarez went 0 for 5 in the opener and didn't play in the nightcap.

That stadium really is awesome

Just got back from the final game of the Buffalo series, which has been a disaster, (as August has been so far for the team after a hot June and July). Beautiful day but a frustrating game to watch. I wanted to see all the hot prospect on the team right now.

Brett Baty, (as if 'Bay-Tee') looked like the kind of guy who could get a hit falling out of bed. He got two of them in this game and is batting .354. He and mark Vientos switched playing 3rd and left field, (and botched a pop fly because neither of them called each other off). Alvarez batted second and got on because of an error but that didn't officially extend his streak of 19 straight games getting on base, which is quite a streak for a .180 hitter. He goes deep into the count, (his on-base percentage is almost twice his batting average), but swings as if he wants to hit the light tower each time. He could take some lessons from Pete Alonso, who's realized that all hits are valuable and if a strong man maximizes the number of times he makes good contact with the ball, the home runs will come. Mark Vientos is stuck on 19 homes. Dan Palka has 20 but at age 30 he's not considered a prospect anymore. Nate Plummer is hitting .231 and Kalil Lee .202. He had a near embarrassment, (which should still be one), when he hit a clean single to right but jogged to 1st base and almost got thrown out anyway. that was our first hit and I wondered how he would feel if he had been thrown out and the guy had thrown a no hitter.

David Peterson had a strange game. He pitched 4 innings and easily got the first two guys out each inning. He looked like DeGrom - you could hear his pitches 'thwack' into Pat Mazeika's glove. But then he gave up two hits with two out in each inning - and the Bison were hitting the ball right on the label. Tom Sevar used to say that pitching was a combination of three things: speed, location and movement. I think Dave had the speed but lacked the movement and may have bene a bit 'wild in the strike zone. He gave up the only two runs in the game, (one on bad throws by Mazeika - high to second on a steal and bouncing past the third baseman on another) and was visibly frustrated, (he's now 2-3 as a Smet). After giving up one hit, he gave the air the old one-two while grimacing. Given this and his disastrous relief appearance for the Mets suggests that he's not responding well to be the odd man out in the Met's rotation.

Good article on Bryce Montes De Oca.

He is 6'7, 260 pounds and he can hit 102 MPH with his fastball.

He is a name to keep an eye on. Probably a year away but he has a chance to be really good.

bryce-montes-de-oca-richard-nelson-1536x1229.jpg

Just an FYI that the Syracuse Mets are scheduled to play Charlotte on MLB TV tonight at 7 PM. The Charlotte ball park has a reputation as being a hitters paradise. It is lived up to that in the series so far. It is channel 306 on Spectrum in CNY.

Scores so far:

Syracuse 7 Charlotte 8
Syracuse 11 Charlotte 10
Syracuse 11 Charlotte 12

Good chance to see Alvarez, Vientos, old friend Dom Smith (who is raking now). The starter for this one is TBD.

Just an FYI that the Syracuse Mets are scheduled to play Charlotte on MLB TV tonight at 7 PM. The Charlotte ball park has a reputation as being a hitters paradise. It is lived up to that in the series so far. It is channel 306 on Spectrum in CNY.

Scores so far:

Syracuse 7 Charlotte 8
Syracuse 11 Charlotte 10
Syracuse 11 Charlotte 12

Good chance to see Alvarez, Vientos, old friend Dom Smith (who is raking now). The starter for this one is TBD.
I got that email also. I believe the game will actually be streaming on MLB TV at mlb.com rather than MLB Network on tv, but I may have misread it.

I got that email also. I believe the game will actually be streaming on MLB TV at mlb.com rather than MLB Network on tv, but I may have misread it.
That post was about Saturday's game, which was carried on MLB TV (on cable tv).

I think the one tonight will be streamed...

That post was about Saturday's game, which was carried on MLB TV (on cable tv).

I think the one tonight will be streamed...
And yes I didn’t pay attention to the posting date. My apologies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom