2023 Away Games, My Ranking | Syracusefan.com

2023 Away Games, My Ranking

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
We have some great games coming in 2023.

I hope to plan 2 or 3 of them for tix buy and tailgates.

Without knowing the dates (except Purdue)...these are my top games in desirability at the moment. It'll certainly change by next summer.

1. @VTech, need to remind them we are still their rival and give them another L.
2. @UNC, haven't played there since 2003 (2020 doesn't count), close game for Piedmont based fans, tailgating kinda sucks though.
3. @Purdue, Sept 16th we owe them for the Cecil Howard Joe Fields game, 2022 wasn't enough.
4. @FSU, we have had too many close losses to them. Would be higher but Tallanasty is in the middle of nowhere.
5. @GTech, stadium reminds me of old MacArthur Stadium (that isn't good), ATL traffic sucks

Last edited:
After looking at photos of Purdue's stadium, I'm more intrigued by the old school feel. Close to the field, low to the ground. May be worth it.

Without knowing the dates (except Purdue)...these are my top games in desirability at the moment. It'll certainly change by next summer.

1. @VTech, need to remind them we are still their rival and give them another L.
2. @UNC, haven't played there since 2003 (2020 doesn't count), close game for Piedmont based fans, tailgating kinda sucks though.
3. @Purdue, Sept 16th we owe them for the Cecil Howard game, 2022 wasn't enough.
4. @FSU, we have had too many close losses to them. Would be higher but Tallanasty is in the middle of nowhere.
5. @GTech, stadium reminds me of old MacArthur Field (that isn't good), ATL traffic sucks
Direct flights from Syracuse to Chicago for the Purdue game.

Chicago is a great city to visit in the fall. Lots of things to do and great eats all over the place.

The White Sox are in town. Let's get Chris Elmore to headline a big tailgate before their game Friday night (if he is not still on the team). Maybe get Jason Benetti to emcee.

Enrique Cruz's Cub fan family may make a reluctant appearance?

Bring ear drums to West Fayette. Their train whistle is the reason 95% of all Purdue fans are deaf. Not sure why so many only wear overalls. Not a good look.

3. @Purdue, Sept 16th we owe them for the Cecil Howard game, 2022 wasn't enough.
5. @GTech, stadium reminds me of old MacArthur Field (that isn't good), ATL traffic sucks
But the culture of Atlanta!!

Direct flights from Syracuse to Chicago for the Purdue game.

Chicago is a great city to visit in the fall. Lots of things to do and great eats all over the place.

The White Sox are in town. Let's get Chris Elmore to headline a big tailgate before their game Friday night (if he is not still on the team). Maybe get Jason Benetti to emcee.

Enrique Cruz's Cub fan family may make a reluctant appearance?

Bring ear drums to West Fayette. Their train whistle is the reason 95% of all Purdue fans are deaf. Not sure why so many only wear overalls. Not a good look.
I bet we could definitely entice Jason as an alum to make an appearance.

Va Tech and UNC will be my definite roadies

Possible on Purdue but very hard to get to with work schedules

I've been to each of these places minus Tech. I've only seen wins at UNC and VT. Purdue was a very cool tailgate atmosphere. Of course they were nice, they killed us. VT expected to kill us last year. They were shocked. They were rabid when they killed us my last trip in 99?. FSU, was there as a cheerleader in 91 and they were stunned by Quadry. Then they killed us. Spent my 50th bd there two years ago and they killed us again. UNC in 1995, I had to steal my buddy's hat that he lost to an ex UNC DL at 2 am. I grabbed it and ran all the way to the jeep in a garage about half mile away. I got there and told my friends Big guy chasing me... thank god we had 4 guys , one being a cop with us. I may not have lived. apparently our guy traded his Yankee hat unwittingly for shots. coerced or not??, he was not able to speak.

It sucks that there isn't a single road game within 500 miles. SU shoulda pushed hard to split BC and Pitt.
Agree. Hope that gets switched someday soon, and it doesn't take an epidemic to make it happen.

On the positive side, 3 of the games are a relatively cheap direct flight awayfrmo CNY (Chicago, Atlanta and Raleigh/Chapel Hill). Okay, you need to rent a car to get to West Lafayette from Chicago but it is almost all corn fields and it goes fast.

Last year I got to Blacksburg by flying into Charlotte. That wasn't bad. I like the Charlotte airport.

Purdue's stadium is being renovated starting this offseason so that might be fun to see what that looks like

Agree. Hope that gets switched someday soon, and it doesn't take an epidemic to make it happen.

On the positive side, 3 of the games are a relatively cheap direct flight awayfrmo CNY (Chicago, Atlanta and Raleigh/Chapel Hill). Okay, you need to rent a car to get to West Lafayette from Chicago but it is almost all corn fields and it goes fast.

Last year I got to Blacksburg by flying into Charlotte. That wasn't bad. I like the Charlotte airport.

2024 has all the close road trips. BC, Pitt, and Army. Same thing in 2026.

Edit

I also wish when we play GA Tech it is opposite FSU. So never the two both on the road. That is 2 long trips.

Edit II

Ideally IMO it would be...

1. BC or Pitt
2. a North Carolina team
3. FSU or Miami or Clemson
4. GA Tech or Louisville or UVA or VA Tech

Last edited:

Just curious, why is tailgating at UNC bad? (I’ve never been)

Mark - in the Johnnie Morant as Megatron game at UNC in 2003 I thought the visiting tailgate situation was pretty good?

If we beat Purdue we should have a year like this and make it a month+ undefeated. Colgate/Army/WMU arent going to be huge games so I think we'll all be dying for a decent opponent when we face them. Probably less culty and weird a fanbase compared to most of the B1G.

One downside to Louisville's resurgence is they might not fire Saterfield and hire Brohm would be great if he took a lateral job.

Any chance that start gets announced early and mid summer like Uconn on CBSSN was?

If we beat Purdue we should have a year like this and make it a month+ undefeated. Colgate/Army/WMU arent going to be huge games so I think we'll all be dying for a decent opponent when we face them. Probably less culty and weird a fanbase compared to most of the B1G.

One downside to Louisville's resurgence is they might not fire Saterfield and hire Brohm would be great if he took a lateral job.

Any chance that start gets announced early and mid summer like Uconn on CBSSN was?
1st 3 weeks of games are usually announced in may or june

Cecil Howard?

Joe Fields, maybe?

Just curious, why is tailgating at UNC bad? (I’ve never been)
Wine and cheese crowd

Not a ton of great parking near the stadium.

I'll do some research soon to see if I'm off base

The ‘24 game at West Point was going to be so perfect for me to go to…until I realized that it’s my twin nieces’ birthdays that day. Hopefully they move the game to a different Saturday. :rolleyes: