2023 Roster Trivia | Syracusefan.com

2023 Roster Trivia

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
Name all the scholarship players on the projected roster for the 2023 season who started their college careers at Syracuse and will definitely be entering their final year of eligibility in the fall.

Think its just Caleb right? Without googling.

Think its just Caleb right? Without googling.
Caleb redshirted in 2018, missed all of 2019 with medical issues and gets the Covid waiver for 2020. I think he's a slam dunk for a medical redshirt for 2019 and seventh season if he wanted it.

The COVID year really borks things. Without looking it up, I think Wax, Barron, Darton, Alford, Mang would all be on their last year of elibility without the 2020 free year.

I expect Wax to be gone for sure after the season. Mang idk. Maybe he should move on too.

Imagine what it does to high school players competing for a limited number of open scholarships!
That and portal have really screwed up opportunities for HS kids. If you are a low 3 star...you better not wait too long if you want to play P5 or high level G5.

So unless I am missing something the answer is no one. Got to be a first for football, right? Maybe anywhere?

Caleb redshirted in 2018, missed all of 2019 with medical issues and gets the Covid waiver for 2020. I think he's a slam dunk for a medical redshirt for 2019 and seventh season if he wanted it.
I don’t think he’s a slam dunk. Maybe if he got injured this year god forbid as it seems he’s been through enough. I think your initial redshirt year typically has to be due to injury to get a medical redshirt year. It certainly would need to have been to be considered a slam dunk case anyway.

Last edited:
This answer to this trivia question is pretty baffling. In a way it kind of proves that college football will go on being successful even in the NIL portal times. It certainly may have lost some appeal to some of us. But it appears most everyone will still root for the guys that transfer in and are all Cuse now at this moment.

Every year won’t always be like this though. Much of it is attributed to the Covid year like stated already.

The contradiction is that prior to NIL (and the portal), guys who played out their careers at one school and had good careers became local celebrities. Guys could live the rest of their lives in a town capitalizing on their time playing for Old State U.

Now, that players can start earning $, fans have a more transactional relationship with the players. The idea that they are only “one of us” right now. Instead of being compensated for their image and likeness (and recognition factor) they are simply being paid to play - regardless of what anyone says.

Players will never again experience the unique relationship communities had with program players. Rather, they have been reduced to athletic mercenaries.

I don’t think he’s a slam dunk. Maybe if he got injured this year god forbid as it seems he’s been through enough. I think your initial redshirt year typically has to be due to injury to get a medical redshirt year. It certainly would need to have been to be considered a slam dunk case anyway.
Agree. That's how I interpret it and it seems like it has played out in the past - you had to lose 2 years to injury, not just a redshirt year just to redshirt.