2023 Transfer Thread | Syracusefan.com

2023 Transfer Thread

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Seems like most players entering the Transfer Portal are for the 2023 season at this point, hence the new thread. Maybe Syracuse has a shot given the Canadian connection?

hmm, Gtown does have numerous grad programs. probably just keeping all options on table but maybe a shot across the bow to coaches for present season given additions

hmm, Gtown does have numerous grad programs. probably just keeping all options on table but maybe a shot across the bow to coaches for present season given additions
So he could play for GTown in his final year if he wants to right? Very skilled offball player. You would think he is starting at attack for them this year with Carraway and Petkevich the colgate transfer leaving.

So he could play for GTown in his final year if he wants to right? Very skilled offball player. You would think he is starting at attack for them this year with Carraway and Petkevich the colgate transfer leaving.

He could yes. Just exploring his options. He did start for Gtown on attack last year with Carraway and Haley, averaging three points per game in the nine games he played. Syracuse would have Hiltz in 2023 on the lefty attack spot, so probably not a big priority, but he's still a name to watch.

James Reilly from Gtown is also in the portal as a grad '23. I cant see him coming to Syracuse though, I'd guess UVA.

Official from Reilly. Posters on FanLax seem to think this is just an insurance move and both Watson and Reilly will be back for Gtown ‘23. We shall see.

There was talk about Dobson earlier on this board, he will not be an option for any DI team. There was talk on FanLax of him joining Duke but that obviously did not come to fruition.

There was talk about Dobson earlier on this board, he will not be an option for any DI team. There was talk on FanLax of him joining Duke but that obviously did not come to fruition.

A tough decision for guys with a potential extra year. He could no doubt get a spot on a better D1 team for next year and be guaranteed to start. If he gets drafted, no guarantees there. His situation is interesting as his numbers are great but in the MAAC.

Definitely a bummer, but this is still better than another team we play landing him.

Official from Reilly. Posters on FanLax seem to think this is just an insurance move and both Watson and Reilly will be back for Gtown ‘23. We shall see.

I'm not sure what other FOGO's will end up in the portal but if Reilly is in fact looking to go elsewhere Gait should be making that one of his top priorities.

I'm not sure what other FOGO's will end up in the portal but if Reilly is in fact looking to go elsewhere Gait should be making that one of his top priorities.

SU is highly likely to bring in multiple FOGOS this summer, they clearly don't trust what's on the roster now and the incoming FOGO isn't a highly rated guy (no knock against him).

SU is highly likely to bring in multiple FOGOS this summer, they clearly don't trust what's on the roster now and the incoming FOGO isn't a highly rated guy (no knock against him).

I certainly hope so, clearly seems like on paper at least it's the biggest weakness next season.

Chase Mullins appears to have dropped off the UNC roster.

Chase Mullins appears to have dropped off the UNC roster.
Interesting. #1 rated fogo in 21 class in front of ND frosh.

Dobson may want to reconsider entering portal instead of pll draft after that Sienna fiasco.

A poster over at FanLax updated their list of players currently in the Transfer Portal. There were/are some names that stood out to me. I'm probably missing others, but these names drew my attention.

Darien Cook - Attack - Brown: Second on the team with 37 points (21g, 16a).
Brian Minicus - Attack - Colgate: Leads team in points with 49 points (31g, 18a). Brother will be a freshman at Loyola next year.
Peter Rizzoti - LSM - Dartmouth: 24 groundballs and 10 caused turnovers. Rumors on FL say he's headed to Rutgers.
Daniel Hicks - Goalie - Dartmouth: 54% save percentage, 11.9 GAA.
Dylan Watson - Attack - Georgetown: Leads team in scoring with 50 points (46g, 4a).
James Reilly - FO - Georgetown: 64% face-off percentage. I have a feeling that both he and Watson will be back, probably depends on what they want for grad school.
Austin Madronic - Attack - Harvard: Second on team with 34 points (22g, 12 a)
Derrek Maddona - Midfield - Hobart: Fifth on team in scoring with 16 points (15g, 1a).
Chris Conlin - Defense - Holy Cross: 50 groundballs and 35 caused turnovers. Rumors on FL indicate he is headed to Notre Dame.
Mo Silah - LSM - Towson: 22 groundballs and 14 caused turnovers
Joe Neumann - FO - Yale: 47% winning percentage, but was number one ranked FOGO recruit his senior year of high school.

Syracuse is in an interesting spot in regards to the transfer market. They have one of, if not the top recruiting class coming in and will obviously want to give their talented freshmen playing time next year. But this is still a team that will in all likelihood will finish the season with just four wins. Help is needed pretty much all over the roster. Gait largely stayed away from the transfer market last year with the exception of Nick Fraterrgio, and post fall ball, Bobby Gavin. More players will obviously enter the portal after the season, and some may already have deals lined up with teams and not even enter the portal (Notre Dame did this last season).

I think Syracuse would benefit from landing any player on the above list, but they need to weigh the benefits of taking in a one and done player over a freshman or younger player they see promise in. Face-off needs to be the priority, but outside of Reilly, who I have to imagine will end up back at Gtown, the pickings are slim so far. Syracuse could really use a goalie upgrade. Midfield could also really stand to be boosted, but outside of Maddona there's not much. Of course they could land an attackman and move them to midfield as well. How aggressive will Gait be here? I can't see him doing a total Rutgers makeover, but to me he really needs to supplement the talent coming in. Plus with the fifth year exception, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to pick up players that in normal years you'd have no chance of landing.

The elephant in the room is of course how many more Ivy League players join the portal. Sam Handley is the big name to keep an eye on, as he's a senior and I beleive can't go back to Penn. The poster who updated the list was clear to point out that Handley is not in the portal as of now. He's also not discussed as being a PLL draft possibility so I imagine that he will be playing NCAA lacrosse somewhere next year. If he does enter the portal every team is going to be after him. The one angle Syracuse could have is he and Dordevic are close and grew up together playing lacrosse. It would be a tough sell coming off a losing season, but he would solve a lot of problems for SU. Something to keep an eye on.

If he doesn't go to the PLL and can't stay at Penn, Handley will end up at Maryland, Georgetown, or Notre Dame

A poster over at FanLax updated their list of players currently in the Transfer Portal. There were/are some names that stood out to me. I'm probably missing others, but these names drew my attention.

Darien Cook - Attack - Brown: Second on the team with 37 points (21g, 16a).
Brian Minicus - Attack - Colgate: Leads team in points with 49 points (31g, 18a). Brother will be a freshman at Loyola next year.
Peter Rizzoti - LSM - Dartmouth: 24 groundballs and 10 caused turnovers. Rumors on FL say he's headed to Rutgers.
Daniel Hicks - Goalie - Dartmouth: 54% save percentage, 11.9 GAA.
Dylan Watson - Attack - Georgetown: Leads team in scoring with 50 points (46g, 4a).
James Reilly - FO - Georgetown: 64% face-off percentage. I have a feeling that both he and Watson will be back, probably depends on what they want for grad school.
Austin Madronic - Attack - Harvard: Second on team with 34 points (22g, 12 a)
Derrek Maddona - Midfield - Hobart: Fifth on team in scoring with 16 points (15g, 1a).
Chris Conlin - Defense - Holy Cross: 50 groundballs and 35 caused turnovers. Rumors on FL indicate he is headed to Notre Dame.
Mo Silah - LSM - Towson: 22 groundballs and 14 caused turnovers
Joe Neumann - FO - Yale: 47% winning percentage, but was number one ranked FOGO recruit his senior year of high school.

Syracuse is in an interesting spot in regards to the transfer market. They have one of, if not the top recruiting class coming in and will obviously want to give their talented freshmen playing time next year. But this is still a team that will in all likelihood will finish the season with just four wins. Help is needed pretty much all over the roster. Gait largely stayed away from the transfer market last year with the exception of Nick Fraterrgio, and post fall ball, Bobby Gavin. More players will obviously enter the portal after the season, and some may already have deals lined up with teams and not even enter the portal (Notre Dame did this last season).

I think Syracuse would benefit from landing any player on the above list, but they need to weigh the benefits of taking in a one and done player over a freshman or younger player they see promise in. Face-off needs to be the priority, but outside of Reilly, who I have to imagine will end up back at Gtown, the pickings are slim so far. Syracuse could really use a goalie upgrade. Midfield could also really stand to be boosted, but outside of Maddona there's not much. Of course they could land an attackman and move them to midfield as well. How aggressive will Gait be here? I can't see him doing a total Rutgers makeover, but to me he really needs to supplement the talent coming in. Plus with the fifth year exception, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to pick up players that in normal years you'd have no chance of landing.

The elephant in the room is of course how many more Ivy League players join the portal. Sam Handley is the big name to keep an eye on, as he's a senior and I beleive can't go back to Penn. The poster who updated the list was clear to point out that Handley is not in the portal as of now. He's also not discussed as being a PLL draft possibility so I imagine that he will be playing NCAA lacrosse somewhere next year. If he does enter the portal every team is going to be after him. The one angle Syracuse could have is he and Dordevic are close and grew up together playing lacrosse. It would be a tough sell coming off a losing season, but he would solve a lot of problems for SU. Something to keep an eye on.

I assume Watson and Reilly will both be back at G-town or if they were to leave would end up at Maryland as that's how its gone the last few years. However, with how things are going makes no sense for either to leave. No idea what Handley is going to do, big decision upcoming for him at the end of the year. I would assume Maryland and Duke would be the top options again relying on what's happened over the last 2-3 years. That said Maryland loses a ton to graduation and is definitely taking a step back next year so that may effect his thought process. Cuse seems like an unlikely option even though he would fit like a glove. I am sure if he does enter SU would at least make a pitch.

I expect the portal will have plenty of additional entries about a month from now and into early June when there is usually a lot of movement. SU will surely target a FOGO if not 2. A mid would make sense but will one that meshes with what SU wants be available? Madonna to me would make a lot of sense for both parties. I don't see Defense being a big addition area, SU brings in a bunch of high end poles has Frattergio with multiple years left and would seem to have quality SSDM depth. I guess I could see a close defender if someone they loved was in there but I think its unlikely. Same for Goalie, I think McCool will have a shot to earn the job as a true frosh. Again if a 5th year guy at either position jumps into the portal I could see SU try and pounce but the competition would be massive and coming off a losing season it would be tough.

If he doesn't go to the PLL and can't stay at Penn, Handley will end up at Maryland, Georgetown, or Notre Dame

Surprised Duke isn't on your list. They would have a need since they lose Montgomery (of course everyone "needs" a player like Handley). I thought I read somewhere that Duke has a special post grad program that is very appealing to most lacrosse players, a big reason why they land so many fifth years. I guess I don't see Maryland in the equation but they have a starting defender from Oregon so maybe he can vouch for the program.

For the Ivy players the last few years have been very topsy-tuvry with decisions about the season coming down at the last minute. This year at least they've had time to make plans about what they want to do. Madronic and the Dartmouth players I beleive have been in the portal for a while now.

Surprised Duke isn't on your list. They would have a need since they lose Montgomery (of course everyone "needs" a player like Handley). I thought I read somewhere that Duke has a special post grad program that is very appealing to most lacrosse players, a big reason why they land so many fifth years. I guess I don't see Maryland in the equation but they have a starting defender from Oregon so maybe he can vouch for the program.

For the Ivy players the last few years have been very topsy-tuvry with decisions about the season coming down at the last minute. This year at least they've had time to make plans about what they want to do. Madronic and the Dartmouth players I beleive have been in the portal for a while now.

Duke could be an option, have heard the others are more likely though. Who knows. Maybe he surprises everyone and goes closer to home to Utah to ski for a year and help them build that program

I assume Watson and Reilly will both be back at G-town or if they were to leave would end up at Maryland as that's how its gone the last few years. However, with how things are going makes no sense for either to leave. No idea what Handley is going to do, big decision upcoming for him at the end of the year. I would assume Maryland and Duke would be the top options again relying on what's happened over the last 2-3 years. That said Maryland loses a ton to graduation and is definitely taking a step back next year so that may effect his thought process. Cuse seems like an unlikely option even though he would fit like a glove. I am sure if he does enter SU would at least make a pitch.

I expect the portal will have plenty of additional entries about a month from now and into early June when there is usually a lot of movement. SU will surely target a FOGO if not 2. A mid would make sense but will one that meshes with what SU wants be available? Madonna to me would make a lot of sense for both parties. I don't see Defense being a big addition area, SU brings in a bunch of high end poles has Frattergio with multiple years left and would seem to have quality SSDM depth. I guess I could see a close defender if someone they loved was in there but I think its unlikely. Same for Goalie, I think McCool will have a shot to earn the job as a true frosh. Again if a 5th year guy at either position jumps into the portal I could see SU try and pounce but the competition would be massive and coming off a losing season it would be tough.
I worry that all they lose will only boost their transfer portal success. You both transfer to a successful lax school and have way less worries about playing time than you usually would.

I think we should at least try for Madronic if he is at all interested. A culver product like Hiltz. Would probably do well in March's offense. Could be a nice facilitator to go with Spallina and Hiltz at attack if we really are planning to move Dordevic back to attack. Canadian to American ratio needs to be improved!

1) Fogos
2) Goalie. can Krebs/Dobson enter portal if not drafted by pll?
3) Vet dm with size n speed
Personally do not think we are totally desperate at the ssdm position. 3 of the four will definitley return, including the two starters, Rosa will be back to 100%, and there is maybe a shot Dami returns since he is eligible. If I had to prioritize one I would pick an o mid over a d mid. Quinn and Buttermore gone and who knows about cook going forward. Corsi and Cordes nice pieces but would be nice to have a guy that demands a long pole. Agree that fogo and goalie are top concerns.

Personally do not think we are totally desperate at the ssdm position. 3 of the four will definitley return, including the two starters, Rosa will be back to 100%, and there is maybe a shot Dami returns since he is eligible. If I had to prioritize one I would pick an o mid over a d mid. Quinn and Buttermore gone and who knows about cook going forward. Corsi and Cordes nice pieces but would be nice to have a guy that demands a long pole. Agree that fogo and goalie are top concerns.
yes, could use a vet om as well , just see dm play and goalie being so integral to allowing what can be a good D to actually be a good D regardless of scheme, either can make or break. Do suspect a non return or two so if portal has a experienced dm with cover abilities as well as smarts in positioning and recognition then he'd be invaluable to leading a relatively young dm group which will include Rice but also likely Levine and Trujillo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom