2024 schedule openings | Syracusefan.com

2024 schedule openings

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
Looks like we need two games for 2024

Northwestern and Temple both need a game to complete their own schedule out.

Seems like a couple winnable games with programs we have history with, in recruiting areas.

Who would you like to see added?

One game will be against an FCS. For the other game, both Northwestern and Temple will be looking for FCS as that is their only game missing.

Air Force is also probably looking for an FCS though would be awesome to play them and Army in the same season.

Coastal Carolina has 2 FCS games, so maybe we could entice them up to the Dome.

looks like we really only have 1 opening except the annual beatdown of fcs school and it should be at home as we should want 7 home games that year with only 6 the following year being likely
Articles by Kevin Wall and John Castillo on the subject.

Not sure if the TNIAAM just missed that Northwestern had an opening or if someone dropped a game recently but orangenauburn is right. NW does have an opening for 2024. As Chris02M says, we would ideally like to schedule a home game here and looked at NW’s schedule, they have 2 home games scheduled. So they are likely good with scheduling an away game in 2024.

Looking into the future, it looks like the return game in Evanston would probably happen in 2028.

JC points out Rutgers has two openings for games in 2024 but those have been filled and they only have an option for an FCS game. No way Schiano has the guts to schedule two P5 schools in one season. He does not want to go 2-10 again if he can help it.

Temple is also looking for a FCS opponent for 2024 and I don’t see them booking us instead. Plus it would have to be played at Temple and it looks likely we are playing this game at home. We are already making it hard on the team with the brutal 2025 season (UT in a near away game in Atlanta and at ND). I don’t think we are going to book 2 away OOC games in 2024 as well. I sure hope not.

UConn only has 8 games booked for 2024 and has no attractive opponents on their home schedule. If we opt to add an away game in 2024, i could see it being UConn, which would be very winnable. Or play it at home and book the away game in 2028.

It is my understanding that we have had these openings filled for months. I am not sure why the opponents have not been announced. I think reluctance to announce games like this is usually driven by discussions on what dates the games will be played on.

They might have to wait for a conference like the MAC to announce its 2024 schedule. The B1G has scheduled blocked out through 2025. The ACC hasn’t even annnounced its 2023 schedule yet (they are apparently waiting for 2 schools to finish booking their 2023 schedule). Hopefully this gets addressed in future years. I don’t think it is good for business to wait each year until late January to announce the schedule for the coming year of ACC conference games.

Somewhere in our recruiting footprint would be ideal.

Rutgers - because I do not want to let our recent history against them become part of a permanent narrative in regard to that rivalry.

Temple & Maryland - does anyone follow these teams? Doesn’t hurt or help.

Penn State - no shame in a loss, glory in a win. Test that depth.

Not sure if the TNIAAM just missed that Northwestern had an opening or if someone dropped a game recently but orangenauburn is right. NW does have an opening for 2024. As Chris02M says, we would ideally like to schedule a home game here and looked at NW’s schedule, they have 2 home games scheduled. So they are likely good with scheduling an away game in 2024.

Looking into the future, it looks like the return game in Evanston would probably happen in 2028.

JC points out Rutgers has two openings for games in 2024 but those have been filled and they only have an option for an FCS game. No way Schiano has the guts to schedule two P5 schools in one season. He does not want to go 2-10 again if he can help it.

Temple is also looking for a FCS opponent for 2024 and I don’t see them booking us instead. Plus it would have to be played at Temple and it looks likely we are playing this game at home. We are already making it hard on the team with the brutal 2025 season (UT in a near away game in Atlanta and at ND). I don’t think we are going to book 2 away OOC games in 2024 as well. I sure hope not.

UConn only has 8 games booked for 2024 and has no attractive opponents on their home schedule. If we opt to add an away game in 2024, i could see it being UConn, which would be very winnable. Or play it at home and book the away game in 2028.

It is my understanding that we have had these openings filled for months. I am not sure why the opponents have not been announced. I think reluctance to announce games like this is usually driven by discussions on what dates the games will be played on.

They might have to wait for a conference like the MAC to announce its 2024 schedule. The B1G has scheduled blocked out through 2025. The ACC hasn’t even annnounced its 2023 schedule yet (they are apparently waiting for 2 schools to finish booking their 2023 schedule). Hopefully this gets addressed in future years. I don’t think it is good for business to wait each year until late January to announce the schedule for the coming year of ACC conference games.
I don't think we should give UConn any more home games. At most we should do a 2 for one.

I don't think we should give UConn any more home games. At most we should do a 2 for one.
Easier said than done.

You got a spare $1M?

UConn is an easy road trip...I think we should continue to play them. It is expensive to buy games. Sure a 2 for 1 is preferred but I'm not sure SU is spending for buy games vs FBS teams.

Last edited:
Somewhere in our recruiting footprint would be ideal.

Rutgers - because I do not want to let our recent history against them become part of a permanent narrative in regard to that rivalry.

Temple & Maryland - does anyone follow these teams? Doesn’t hurt or help.

Penn State - no shame in a loss, glory in a win. Test that depth.

At the same time, you want to rack up winnable games before the conference starts. Penn State can swing a bowl game.

They are getting home and homes with other P5 programs so I doubt they will do a 2 for 1 with us.

Pretty sure we are the team they would prefer to schedule every season, due to proximity and limited past history.

But I would be surprised to see them do a 2 for 1 with us or any other school for they matter. Doing that clearly confirms that they are an FCS school pretending they are playing at the FBS level.

@JMU and @Richmond so I have some close games and I'm selfish. Horrible idea but again, I'm selfish.

UConn improved greatly in Jim Mora's first year and made a bowl game. Quite an impressive job, if you ask me. I would pass on volunteering to play them away again until Mora's gone.

UConn improved greatly in Jim Mora's first year and made a bowl game. Quite an impressive job, if you ask me. I would pass on volunteering to play them away again until Mora's gone.
And Syracuse smoked them when they played. As there are tiers to college football, Syracuse is better than UConn by a lot right now. They were only competitive in one game they lost.

And Syracuse smoked them when they played. As there are tiers to college football, Syracuse is better than UConn by a lot right now. They were only competitive in one game they lost.

Yeah, but - they also beat BC and Liberty.

Mora getting that tire-fire program to 6 wins was a miraculous job on his part.

Frankly, we were lucky we played them early, when we were (almost) fully healthy, and they hadn’t remotely gotten their sh’t together yet.

See also: Llvll this past year.

UConn is still hot trash. If we are scared to schedule them we may as well close up shop. They went from legendary bad to an almost 500 team that beat no one. We should beat them 11 out of 10 times.

I'm not seeing Mora get nearly the credit he deserves. He performed a miracle with that group and the pieces he had going into the season. He should have them above .500 next year and have some decent job options for the 2024 season.