22 | Syracusefan.com

CuSeLaX

Walk On
I wanted to get all of your thoughts on how SU hands out #22. Lately I feel as though it has been used as a recruiting tool. I do understand that could help secure a talented player, however that is a disservice to the legend of 22. Jordan Evans has worked hard for SU and I mean no disrespect to him, but his production does not match that of the jerseys previous owners. I also think about a guy like Cody Jamieson. I dont like the idea of transfers wearing 22. I think it would be awesome to have the number given only to guys who, the previous year, were named an All American at SU.

Obviously Syracuse and coach Desko will keep doing whatever they believe is best for the program. I just feel a change in the way 22 is handed out would increase the legend even further. I know my idea presents a lot of problems and I wanted to hear other ideas.

I'm not a fan of giving it to an incoming freshman, it's just too much pressure IMO &, if the player doesn't live up to the hype, it would be a terrible look to take it away. It ties it up for 4 years. I'd rather see it given to a young player who shows promise in their Frosh/Soph year like Marasco so it can be worn multiple years...though Jamieson certainly earned it his Jr year (game winner in title game) & there was pressure for a Native to finally wear it.

IMO, & no disrespect to Evans (he was one of the most hyped incoming recruits in program history), the fact that Kevin Rice never wore #22 is one of the biggest disappointments in program history. He earned it after leading us to the title game as a Soph & could've inherited it from JoJo for his Jr/Sr years. Evans could've been told he'd have the opportunity to earn it as a Junior after Rice graduates (though Donahue would've been ideal). A local kid, great student, perfect program ambassador, & 2-time Tewaarton finalist, it's just a shame he wasn't given the honor. Though he's a total team-first, class act, I was told that he would've loved to wear it...as evidenced by him wearing #22 for Atlanta in his MLL career.

IMG_0928.jpg
I'm not a fan of giving it to an incoming freshman, it's just too much pressure IMO &, if the player doesn't live up to the hype, it would be a terrible look to take it away. It ties it up for 4 years. I'd rather see it given to a young player who shows promise in their Frosh/Soph year like Marasco so it can be worn multiple years...though Jamieson certainly earned it his Jr year (game winner in title game) & there was pressure for a Native to finally wear it.

IMO, & no disrespect to Evans (he was one of the most hyped incoming recruits in program history), the fact that Kevin Rice never wore #22 is one of the biggest disappointments in program history. He earned it after leading us to the title game as a Soph & could've inherited it from JoJo for his Jr/Sr years. Evans could've been told he'd have the opportunity to earn it as a Junior after Rice graduates (though Donahue would've been ideal). A local kid, great student, perfect program ambassador, & 2-time Tewaarton finalist, it's just a shame he wasn't given the honor. Though he's a total team-first, class act, I was told that he would've loved to wear it...as evidenced by him wearing #22 for Atlanta in his MLL career.
Here is a twitter conversation from a year ago

Nobody's production will ever match that of the jerseys previous owners.

Since Gait and the Powells set the bar so impossibly high ... the number has to be retired.

I would wait until 2018 and give it to Cook or Magnan, either will be deserving based on their HS careers.

I totally agree with giving it to an upperclassmen, who was a solid player year before, and most likely a captain. Seems to be the trend being set on D with #11. #22 is way bigger. A freshmen hasn't earned it on the team, but a kid like Rice definitely did, and should have worn it. Unless it would truly help get the top player in the HS ranks to commit, which maybe happened with Evans, its a real gamble. As others have said, the fact that Jordan isn't even a captain as a senior is telling.

I agree Kevin Rice Should have worn 22 over Evans. He had the point production and was voted a Captain I believe. The risk of giving it to a Freshman seems to be not worth the reward of the recruiting boost.

I would wait until 2018 and give it to Cook or Magnan, either will be deserving based on their HS careers.

What do you think about not having a 22 until after Cook and Magnan (or someone from the 2017 class) has a chance to play a year at SU? I dont doubt one them will deseres it. However if we wait and see, they can give it to the most deserving player. I know you are very high on Cook but he is currently rated as a lower recruit. I dont think he would get it coming out of high school. Magnan will most likely be the higher rated player in SU's class. But Cook could easily have a better career. That way other players like Cook, who arent the top rated in their class, but end up being the best player can wear 22.

I agree Kevin Rice Should have worn 22 over Evans. He had the point production and was voted a Captain I believe. The risk of giving it to a Freshman seems to be not worth the reward of the recruiting boost.

If Ricky Miezan asked for 22, you better bet your azz he's worth the risk.

What do you think about not having a 22 until after Cook and Magnan (or someone from the 2017 class) has a chance to play a year at SU? I dont doubt one them will deseres it. However if we wait and see, they can give it to the most deserving player. I know you are very high on Cook but he is currently rated as a lower recruit. I dont think he would get it coming out of high school. Magnan will most likely be the higher rated player in SU's class. But Cook could easily have a better career. That way other players like Cook, who arent the top rated in their class, but end up being the best player can wear 22.

Barring injury Cook is going to shoot up in the rankings over the next two seasons, kid was tremendous as a Soph and I am hearing nothing but rave reviews from guys clued in on the local scene. Magnan is pretty much a consensus top 5 or 10 guy in the class right now who has a realistic chance of being the #1 recruit in the nation. As far as 22 goes, I have no issue if SU wants to hold it or give it to an upperclassmen or however they want to do it. Personally I like using it as a recruiting tool in an ever more congested landscape for top end recruits.

Speaking in general terms, if the PTB of any college sports team decide an important number shouldn't be retired but kept in use as an honor, then the upperclassmen should vote each year who should wear it.

Speaking in general terms, if the PTB of any college sports team decide an important number shouldn't be retired but kept in use as an honor, then the upperclassmen should vote each year who should wear it.
Thats not a bad idea at all, I kind of like giving it to frosh because it brings excitement to the team, having a guy no one has ever seen play at the college level before, come out and wear the legendary 22. But there is no doubt about it that it puts extreme expectations on the player.

Do any other lacrosse programs have a tradition like we do with #22?

#22 and #44 should be given to game changers. dominant players who impact games. class shouldn't matter. we've built a strong tradition. i'd like to see it move forward.

He's gonna end up on a football scholarship somewhere.
be great if that we're at cuse, where he got his first offer. Hard to believe UNC, UVA, VT won't offer though. Two of those give him a chance to play lax too.

be great if that we're at cuse, where he got his first offer. Hard to believe UNC, UVA, VT won't offer though. Two of those give him a chance to play lax too.
Our football board was discussing this topic yesterday. Really hard to play two sports; one usually demands you give up the other. We "lost" Patrick Kearney (I believe he played M) to the football team (and eventually the Atlanta Falcons) because Starsia let him try out and George Welsh liked what he saw. They also mentioned that three football players (one was a QB) left the team to play baseball for us after trying to play both.

Our football board was discussing this topic yesterday. Really hard to play two sports; one usually demands you give up the other. We "lost" Patrick Kearney (I believe he played M) to the football team (and eventually the Atlanta Falcons) because Starsia let him try out and George Welsh liked what he saw. They also mentioned that three football players (one was a QB) left the team to play baseball for us after trying to play both.

Will Yeatman did it at Notre Dame and Maryland recently.

CBA grad Jarett Park led the Lax team in GBs for 4 straight years from '02-'05 while also being the best player on the soccer team for 3 until giving it up as a Senior to focus on Lax. Was National Freshman of the Year in Soccer. IMO, one of the most underappreciated athletes in modern day SU sports history.

He's gonna end up on a football scholarship somewhere.
If he does, I doubt it's a financial decision. I'd have to believe that he'd earn a full Lax schollie, 1/12.5, at any school, UNC included.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom