25 worst NBA draft picks of last decade | Syracusefan.com

25 worst NBA draft picks of last decade

I didn't make it to the end because I find those Bleacher Report slide shows intolerable, but was Greg Oden #1? If not, he should be.

I didn't make it to the end because I find those Bleacher Report slide shows intolerable, but was Greg Oden #1? If not, he should be.
as soon as I see 'Bleacher Report' I either skip the link or hit the back button if I'm unfortunate enough to have already gotten to the site.

Oden #3, Morrison #2, J. Williams #1

I dont normally check out the bleacher report but today is a very boring day at work, bjorn isnt around to entertain me and I dont want to fall asleep lol. Wifes birthday last night at the Fox, you prolly know how that turned out

Any list like this that doesn't include Frederic Weis near the top is absurd.
The Knicks could have had Ron Artest instead of this 7 foot French guy.
Weis was a first-rounder, never played a minute in the NBA and thoroughly earned the nickname "The Awful Tower."

jonny was drafted as rubio insurance. he certainly had his chance.

jonny was drafted as rubio insurance. he certainly had his chance.
Jonny played well in his first year before getting hurt, despite playing for a lousy coach (who later was fired) with a system that did not work.

Shows why teams like the Bobcats have stunk for a while. Look at their 1st round picks:
Year (Overall Pick) Name
2004 (2) Emeka Okafor
2005 (5) Ray Felton
2005 (13) Sean May
2006 (3) Adam Morrison
2007 (8) Brandon Wright
2007 (22) Jared Dudley
2008 (9) D.J. Augustin
2008 (20) Alexis Ajinca
2009 (12) Gerald Henderson
2011 (9) Kemba Walker
2011 (19) Tobias Harris

Shows why teams like the Bobcats have stunk for a while. Look at their 1st round picks:
Year (Overall Pick) Name
2004 (2) Emeka Okafor
2005 (5) Ray Felton
2005 (13) Sean May
2006 (3) Adam Morrison
2007 (8) Brandon Wright
2007 (22) Jared Dudley
2008 (9) D.J. Augustin
2008 (20) Alexis Ajinca
2009 (12) Gerald Henderson
2011 (9) Kemba Walker
2011 (19) Tobias Harris
Wow, beginning to look like the East Coast version of the Clippers.

A friend of mine is friends with one of the scouts for the timberwolves and I got a chance to chat with him and when Jonny was playing for the Twolves the scout said " It was Flynns attitude that kept him from getting more playing time"

A friend of mine is friends with one of the scouts for the timberwolves and I got a chance to chat with him and when Jonny was playing for the Twolves the scout said " It was Flynns attitude that kept him from getting more playing time"
Interesting. He didn't have much competition his rookie year, seemed to have a great attitude at SU. Wonder what happened?

Interesting. He didn't have much competition his rookie year, seemed to have a great attitude at SU. Wonder what happened?

That was my feeling as well. I wanted to ask him more question but I really wasn't trying to ask a million question on one player. It may have just been his opinion why he didn't play. I just thought it was interesting.

I think these lists should be about who was a perplexingly high draft pick and not guys who were consensus #1 picks who just had a terrible run of injuries. Especially now that the Trailblazers are being accused of screwing his medicals up. Oden was a good pick and I'd argue that any team with the #1 pick would have drafted him that year.

And I agree with stuckinbig11, Jonny was screwed by injury and being a square peg forced into a round hole.

Funny thing about the Bobcats; 3 times in 4 years they took UNC players.

It's hard for me to put Oden and Jay Williams in the same class of a draft bust as Adam Morrison. Very extenuating circumstances for the first 2.

It's hard for me to put Oden and Jay Williams in the same class of a draft bust as Adam Morrison. Very extenuating circumstances for the first 2.

Probably a combination of MJ being a former Tarheel and because it makes logical sense to create a local fanbase by drafting players they are already invested in.

I read an article about Jonny and it said that because Rubio was drafted before him, most fans didn't want Jonny there and it got to him and really hurt his confidence. Jonny was happy to be traded but I'm not sure if he will ever recover

Agree, I do not think a player who has suffered a significant injury through no fault of their own should be considered a bust. There are implications in the word bust that make that seem unfair.

Probably a combination of MJ being a former Tarheel and because it makes logical sense to create a local fanbase by drafting players they are already invested in.
Don't forget Gerald Henderson from Dook in 2009. Bobcats took him #12 overall. Passed on Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson, Eric Maynor, Jeff Teague, Darren Collison, Taj Gibson, Toney Douglas

Yeah I was gonna mention him too. Hasn't quite worked out so well for them...

Agree, I do not think a player who has suffered a significant injury through no fault of their own should be considered a bust. There are implications in the word bust that make that seem unfair.
"Through no fault of their own" applies to Oden, but not Williams, who was caught on camera on ESPN saying the Bulls expressly told him he couldn't own a motorcycle - WHILE SITTING ON A MOTORCYCLE (on the short lived ESPN reality show Beg, Borrow and Deal) - and wrecked it.

That said, he was averaging just under 10 and 5 his rookie year, which isn't great but shows promise, so I don't see how you can put him as the biggest bust considering his career ending accident.

I'm sure every top pick who didn't pan out has their own sob story and a myriad of reasons why they never got a fair shake. Unfortunately..no one really cares. Show me on the court or take a walk. Cream ALWAYS rises to the top.

I'm sure every top pick who didn't pan out has their own sob story and a myriad of reasons why they never got a fair shake. Unfortunately..no one really cares. Show me on the court or take a walk. Cream ALWAYS rises to the top.
By that logic, would you call Len Bias a bust?