3-3-5 D and TCUs embarrassing, historically bad loss | Syracusefan.com

3-3-5 D and TCUs embarrassing, historically bad loss

swish7

All Conference
I read somewhere that TCU runs a 3-3-5 and we do too...
We recently hired the grandfather of the 3-3-5.
TCU just got walloped at a level never before seen.
Obviously their embarrassing beat down has nothing to do with the 3-3-5, but points to personnel and other i$$ue$, but what does this say about the 'shine / luster' of the 3-3-5, if anything?

Does it reduce its shine at all? Or, are we still all in on it being the D of choice for SU?

All in, what else are we supposed to do? It’s been successful for us, let’s worry about having a 2nd winning season next year before we panic about a defensive scheme that got shredded by a really good Georgia team.

I'm all in on it. We have no chance of getting the upper level DL's we need for anything else. TCU wasn't going to stop them but they hurt themselves with poor tackling early and their failure to check the QB run.

Bigger problem for anyone playing playoff level schools - your O-Line needs to be good and TCU's was not. A lot of their guys looked more like heavy good old boys than D1 players.

There are different versions like the old WV D. That being said we can’t slow down UGA with 12 guys on the field so formation is trivial.

It has zip to do with the 3-3-5. Michigan torched them. Kansas State had their way with them as well. Big 12 teams by nature have to put up points because of the style of play. They couldn't stop anyone their last three games.

Georgia’s line is on another level.

No scheme was going to save TCU yesterday.

If you’re relying on stopping Georgia’s d line and pushing their O line… you’ve already lost.

OSU and Bama cant do it either

Obviously their embarrassing beat down has nothing to do with the 3-3-5, but points to personnel and other i$$ue$, but what does this say about the 'shine / luster' of the 3-3-5, if anything?

Does it reduce its shine at all? Or, are we still all in on it being the D of choice for SU?
Odd fronts and 3-3-5 have been around for a long time. . Its not going away. TCU got beat by a faster and tougher team. I didnt love their game plan either. Im not a fan of having big slow guys as five tech's. They provided no pass rush and they were getting beat to the edge.

Last edited:
Georgia’s line is on another level.

No scheme was going to save TCU yesterday.

If you’re relying on stopping Georgia’s d line and pushing their O line… you’ve already lost.

OSU and Bama cant do it either
OSU had it under control when Harrison was still playing. Bama matched up with them last year as well until Jameson Williams went down. Those both swung the game decisively.

All in on 3-3-5. Our scheme has some weakness against really good big OL who power run but I think we can makes some scheme adjustments against those teams. Plus whose scheme does well against a really good big OL.

Also of note TCU size on DL goes:
1st string DL: 275, 320, 280
2nd string DL: 295, 315, 290

1st string LB: 240, 245, 230.

Very different than our personel.

All in on 3-3-5. Our scheme has some weakness against really good big OL who power run but I think we can makes some scheme adjustments against those teams. Plus whose scheme does well against a really good big OL.

Also of note TCU size on DL goes:
1st string DL: 275, 320, 280
2nd string DL: 295, 315, 290

1st string LB: 240, 245, 230.

Very different than our personel.
Yup. Size helps for sure but in this case it didn't. They looked slow and unathletic up front. GA was able to get to the edge very easy and they had a lot of time to throw down field.

UGA spend on program, only public reporting: $80M
TCU: $40M
Cuse: $27M

Has nothing to do with 3-3-5.

I’m confused by this thread. Are we supposed to be discussing whether we should get rid of the defensive scheme we use because of the results of 1 game we weren’t even playing in?

It just shows what’s wrong with college football. The national championship is reserved for a handful of teams. Schools that spend ginormous amounts of money on the football programs. They will win. Schools like ours who don’t, will never sniff the title game in a million years.
Those big football schools have a ton of big fat millionaire and billionaire boosters who spend whatever it takes. We have one rich guy who owns a junkyard offering a comparatively small NIL contract for one guy. It’s just not the same I don’t care what defense or offense we run.

UGA spend on program, only public reporting: $80M
TCU: $40M
Cuse: $27M

Has nothing to do with 3-3-5.
That does not cover the booster moneys which used to be illegal and now are fixing the outcomes fro basketball and football!

IMO, no; Georgia is deep at all positions on 5 & 4 star players; put 5’s & 4’s in the 3-3-5 and then we would see for sure!

I’m confused by this thread. Are we supposed to be discussing whether we should get rid of the defensive scheme we use because of the results of 1 game we weren’t even playing in?

Yes, duh!

Georgia crushes every defense

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom