3+5(5) can become 2+6(6) | Syracusefan.com

3+5(5) can become 2+6(6)

WoadBlue

Starter
If this decision by Notre Dame is a harbinger of what it will do in the middle of the decade, then we will see new scheduling. If we get a major new member as 16, we might stay with Atlantic and Coastal. I would hope not. I do not want to play Syracuse every year, but i sure want to play Syracuse more often than we now do. Same for BC and Clemson and FSU and Wake.

A 15 member league playing 8 conference games could be done by having each team play 2 annual rivals, and then play half the remaining teams each season. Every league member would be played at least twice every 4 seasons.

I that were to happen, I would hope that UNC loses NCSU as annual rival and keeps UVA (the South's Oldest Rivalry) and Dook.

I would assume that Syracuse would have BC. If I were Syracuse, I would then try to get ND as well - and play games at MetLife Stadium. Make it an annual neutral site game inside a TV market both need.

Yankee Stadium would be better IMO. That was a good event even if we played like crap. Sight lines were fine. Guarantees a late season game.

Definitely something to offer for them to chose us.

They’d definitely be ok with SU in NY and Miami annually on campus under that format.

But I bet Texas comes with them and kills the Big 12. OU would still schedule them they have no choice as Houston would just become the replacement.

Also Yankee Stadium means after October and during basketball season. So automatic game at MSG.

Not in favor of playing ND at Metlife again, ND would outdraw SU by a large margin every time, unless maybe SU is undefeated and ND is having an awful season. Keep the big home games in town

It was their home game and we had a good showing. 40-40-20 wed hold our own.

Metlife is too big. And a pain to get to. Who wants to drive and not get a hotel and the subway?

If this decision by Notre Dame is a harbinger of what it will do in the middle of the decade, then we will see new scheduling. If we get a major new member as 16, we might stay with Atlantic and Coastal. I would hope not. I do not want to play Syracuse every year, but i sure want to play Syracuse more often than we now do. Same for BC and Clemson and FSU and Wake.

A 15 member league playing 8 conference games could be done by having each team play 2 annual rivals, and then play half the remaining teams each season. Every league member would be played at least twice every 4 seasons.

I that were to happen, I would hope that UNC loses NCSU as annual rival and keeps UVA (the South's Oldest Rivalry) and Dook.

I would assume that Syracuse would have BC. If I were Syracuse, I would then try to get ND as well - and play games at MetLife Stadium. Make it an annual neutral site game inside a TV market both need.
You get a Like for everything except the whole MetLife thing, because everything else makes sense.

We are done with the whole MetLife thing (for anything other than perhaps a special one-off, and probably not even then).

But I bet Texas comes with them and kills the Big 12. OU would still schedule them they have no choice as Houston would just become the replacement.
If that were to happen, ACC TV money would explode and reach SEC/Big Ten level.

I think it also would force the Pac to expand to 16, taking OU and Ok ST and KU and K-St. Assuming that OU and KU are loyal to their states and the Ag school rivals.

You get a Like for everything except the whole MetLife thing, because everything else makes sense.

We are done with the whole MetLife thing (for anything other than perhaps a special one-off, and probably not even then).
Obviously I've not driven there, nor know any of the issues with it. But Syracuse football does need to become NYC's CFB team. If that means playing a game every year in Yankee Stadium - do it.

Obviously I've not driven there, nor know any of the issues with it. But Syracuse football does need to become NYC's CFB team. If that means playing a game every year in Yankee Stadium - do it.
As I said above, won't happen. Those games were played because we were in a bad financial situation in an untenable league. We can be NYS' team without playing in NJ.

NYC's team will always be ND and/or Penn St. :(

As I said above, won't happen. Those games were played because we were in a bad financial situation in an untenable league. We can be NYS' team without playing in NJ.

Nah.

Imagine suggesting Pedo st as NYs team for basketball how laughable that is. Our football isn’t like that.

If we are better than those 2 for a stretch we’ll have a large casual fanbase in that area. Big if but ACC means it can happen.

I mean if we could just get a couple P5 level WR 4 star recruits how different does this years team look?

Agreed but if there was some rotation of games in NYC to satiate ND color me interested. The conference is better with ND as a full member. If the ACC made it worthwhile for Syracuse to play them in NYC financially speaking i'd listen. Just like ND asking BC to play at Gilette or UVA to play in DC.

Not saying this is the best thing for Syracuse but to think outside the box, i'd consider anything really. I mean Syracuse should consider doing the Ireland game vs ND. Having been to the last few it's an unbelievable event and a showcase game for the university overseas.

Syracuse should consider doing the Ireland game vs ND. Having been to the last few it's an unbelievable event and a showcase game for the university overseas.

Now I would be down for that once the Corona dust settles....the Orange and Hoffman Hot Dogs courtesy of TexanMark in an Irish Pub! Sign me up!

If ND ever joined the ACC, there is basically zero chance that SU would be set up as one of their annual crossover rivals. No possible way the ACC gives up a made for TV game. They’ll be set up with Clemson, Miami or FSU, in addition to one of their games that they traditionally played (BC).

But I doubt ND comes to the ACC beyond this year.

We aren’t going to do this so no need for anymore.

Our home games are played at the Dome.
If Notre Dame wants to move it’s basketball home games against us to MSG that would be fine.

If Syracuse football wins on a high level, for a period of time( 5 years or so), they will have a big following in NYC.

If Syracuse football wins on a high level, for a period of time( 5 years or so), they will have a big following in NYC.
No we won’t.
NYC is a pro sports town first.

Syracuse FB will never matter more than just another topic in NYC.
Same for any college team.

College football is life and death in areas of the country where pro sports aren’t as popular.

Syracuse playing in the NC championship game may get 15 minutes on NYC sports radio and an article in the papers but the city isn’t going to care.

It would be huge in CNY though.

Just like if UMass was really good WEEI/Sports Hub/NBC Boston wouldn’t care. It would be mentioned in flashes but sports fans wouldn’t care that much if at all. It would be Patriots/Celtics/Bruins.

It was their home game and we had a good showing. 40-40-20 wed hold our own.

Metlife is too big. And a pain to get to. Who wants to drive and not get a hotel and the subway?
Giants Stadium is a pain to get to??

and what the hell does this mean...Who wants to drive and not get a hotel and the subway?

yes, millions upon millions of football fans take the 'subway' to games every weekend all over America...

im guessing youve never been to a live football game before.

Syracuse should play in the NYC area again, but Giants Stadium is certainly too big for a 4-8 team and even if the Orange are good, 60k looks empty in there...its why Yankee is preferable, nicer on the eyes with a less than 40k capacity for football.

id like either (and im expecting it) for it will be fun to watch the board lose their minds again over it.

might be a few years, but the Orange will play NYC again.

Giants Stadium is a pain to get to??

and what the hell does this mean...Who wants to drive and not get a hotel and the subway?

yes, millions upon millions of football fans take the 'subway' to games every weekend all over America...

im guessing youve never been to a live football game before.

Syracuse should play in the NYC area again, but Giants Stadium is certainly too big for a 4-8 team and even if the Orange are good, 60k looks empty in there...its why Yankee is preferable, nicer on the eyes with a less than 40k capacity for football.

id like either (and im expecting it) for it will be fun to watch the board lose their minds again over it.

might be a few years, but the Orange will play NYC again.
Dino won’t play Syracuse home games in NYC/MetLife.

If we play neutral site game there every once in a while it’s fine. Our home games should be played in Syracuse.

If MetLife were smart they would bring back the old Kickoff Classic pay 2 schools like the Chick-Fil-A guys does down in Atlanta and have a big time week 1 neutral site game.

Mix in Penn State/Miami/Syracuse/West Virginia types and play a game every year.

No we won’t.
NYC is a pro sports town first.

Syracuse FB will never matter more than just another topic in NYC.
Same for any college team.

College football is life and death in areas of the country where pro sports aren’t as popular.

Syracuse playing in the NC championship game may get 15 minutes on NYC sports radio and an article in the papers but the city isn’t going to care.

It would be huge in CNY though.

Just like if UMass was really good WEEI/Sports Hub/NBC Boston wouldn’t care. It would be mentioned in flashes but sports fans wouldn’t care that much if at all. It would be Patriots/Celtics/Bruins.
Syracuse basketball is very popular there, which derails you theory. People are capable of being fans of pro and college teams. Look at Pa., people there are huge fans of the pro teams, but they seem to support PSU just as well. If you win big games and win often, you have fans.

Syracuse basketball is very popular there, which derails you theory. People are capable of being fans of pro and college teams. Look at Pa., people there are huge fans of the pro teams, but they seem to support PSU just as well. If you win big games and win often, you have fans.
Basketball season is not during baseball season.

If football season is still going on in NYC then Syracuse basketball doesn’t matter at all.
When we play in those thanksgiving tournaments in NYC the city doesn’t care. Our alums go the games.

College football is not going to matter in New York City on a consistent basis. It will be a segment. No college football team could carry an entire show on radio or TV in NYC.

You don’t get this.

In Philly Penn State doesn’t matter as much as the Eagles.
In Pittsburgh the Steelers matter more than Pitt Panthers + WVU + Penn State combined.

College football outside of the south for the most part is about alumni caring. We have a good portion of non alumni fans which helps but most interest in college sports is from locals to the area the College is located in or alumni.

Pro sports don’t rely on alumni as their primary fans.

The Northeast is overwhelmingly more interested pro sports than college sports.

In the SEC it’s not the same. There are other outliers in other college fanbases but it’s not like the SEC for the most part.

Pennsylvania is 2 (or 3) states in one. The wag's line "Pennsylvania is Philly in the east, Pittsburgh in the west, and Alabama in between." Ped St. is everything in between, something less in the 2 cities.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom