3 great players | Syracusefan.com

3 great players

PoppyHart

All American
Dickie and the Canuck espoused the (not new) theory that you need 3 great players to win it all:

That eliminates a lot of teams if you have a narrow definition of great:

1. Zona (Johnson, Gordon, Ashley)
2. Cuse
3. MSU (Payne, Appling, Harris)
4. Kansas (Embiid, Wiggins, Ellis)
5. Kentucky (Randle, C-Stein, Young)

After that, I think you need to be Edward Bennett Williams to win the argument. Maybe Michigan or Duke?

Dickie and the Canuck espoused the (not new) theory that you need 3 great players to win it all:

2. Cuse

After that, I think you need to be Edward Bennett Williams to win the argument. Maybe Michigan or Duke?
Oh darn! We don't have any per your standard? Oh well, I guess we just pack it in...

We may have 5.

Depending on whether or not Cooney's shakiness and how Ennis uses Xmas.

2. Cuse

no question we are on a short list of favorites to go to the Final Four! gonna be a blast to watch how it plays out!

We may have 5.

Depending on whether or not Cooney's shakiness and how Ennis uses Xmas.

XMAS?

upload_2014-1-25_20-4-11.jpeg

I agree that those 4 are the ones I am most afraid of. And OSU.

I'm only afraid of OSU if they bring their own refs with them. (again)

I'm not so sure I support the major premise. I understand in recent years there have been several issues of that model that bear it out, but it's certainly not exclusive. I'm thinking of 2003, obviously with Anthony, McNamara and Warrick. But that would discount the critical importance of Billy Edelin in each of the last 2 games. And we don't beat Ok St without Jeremy McNeil. Likewise this year, the model doesn't fit the mold. This SU team is a remarkable whole team effort.

2. Cuse

Did you ever read "The Man to See", which is a bio of EBW. Highly recommended.

When you have weapons to cover like Ennis, Fair, Grant and Cooney... someone is BOUND to be open. Xmas has begun to prove himself as a very competent scoring threat inside.

As long as he doesn't use his left hand from more than 1 foot away. Boy he threw up a left-handed airball turd down the stretch when it was close. I think JB yanked him right after that and Keita played very well.

Did UConn have 3 great players? Did UK in 2012? Davis and MKG. Great is probably a stretch; how many great players are there in college hoops right now?

I'm not so sure I support the major premise. I understand in recent years there have been several issues of that model that bear it out, but it's certainly not exclusive. I'm thinking of 2003, obviously with Anthony, McNamara and Warrick. But that would discount the critical importance of Billy Edelin in each of the last 2 games. And we don't beat Ok St without Jeremy McNeil. Likewise this year, the model doesn't fit the mold. This SU team is a remarkable whole team effort.

What about Josh Pace, especially in the Texas and Kansas games?

And people seem to grossly underappreciate the contributions of Q that year. 11.0 PPG, 2.0 APG, and 3.7 RPG his senior season (and he posted higher average points and boards the season before that), with a huge part in the final game against KU. I think it may be CTO who has posted that Q was the ultimate glue guy (and captain) that year and was generally regarded by opposing players as the key ingredient (on top of the Big Three, of course) that really made SU virtually unguardable over a 40-minute span.

I agree with your top three, but credit's got to go all around for that squad's performance.

When you have weapons to cover like Ennis, Fair, Grant and Cooney... someone is BOUND to be open. Xmas has begun to prove himself as a very competent scoring threat inside.

Especially with his new-found hook shot.

1 great player with a group of complimentary players is enough.

Did you ever read "The Man to See", which is a bio of EBW. Highly recommended.

I never got around to it. I worked at his firm out of college and he was spoken about in god-like terms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom