30 years ago today at 3:30 PM, where were you? | Syracusefan.com

30 years ago today at 3:30 PM, where were you?

FrancoPizza

2018 Iggy Leading Minutes Per Game Winner
30 years. Now I feel old. It was a cold but sunny November day. Wanted to be at the Dome but had to watch at home. Remember the 12:00 Ohio st/Michigan game running late and making me nervous we’d miss the start of the game. Then there was another agonizing wait with commercials. Carrie Lazarus previewed her upcoming news feature… I thought for sure we’d miss the opening kickoff. Turns out they delayed kickoff a few minutes to accommodate, but it was a rushed opening to the telecast. Musberger and Vermeil had a quick 10-second exchange and then they went right to the field for the kickoff.

Last edited:

Cuse1992

OTTO '91 / SU CHEER '92
I'm assuming 30 years ago was the Miami game. I was recent SU grad at Officer Basic Course / FT Leonardwood MO. My battalion commander was a an alumnus and a kicker for UM. He invited over another LT who went to UM and myself for the game. I thought we had those suckers. He spent most of the game on the phone getting bitch slapped around by some SR officer for something some dumbass did.

FortyFourCT

2017 Iggy Award Winner
I was in the student section, lower level but far side of the field from that play. I don't remember too many details from the game to be honest (it was a long time ago and I was probably drinking) and never re-watched it, but certainly saw the highlights later that weekend.

DoubleDee

All Conference
I was there. I remember never being more miserable in my life, as I sat at a table next to Musberger for dinner afterward. I can't remember what restaurant though. I'm assuming Delmonico's? Grimaldi's?

sufandu

Living Legend
My livingroom watching on a 46" rear projection big screen. I was a junior in high school. My dad had bought that tv a couple years prior. It's funny to think how that was such an enormous tv at the time.

Later that year my teacher was able to get Kirby Dar Dar to come to my school. That was when a lot of the football players would work for UPS(?) and my teacher's wife worked there and knew him. I got him to sign a SI magazine that featured the game on the cover.

elimunelson

All American
My livingroom watching on a 46" rear projection big screen. I was a junior in high school. My dad had bought that tv a couple years prior. It's funny to think how that was such an enormous tv at the time.

Later that year my teacher was able to get Kirby Dar Dar to come to my school. That was when a lot of the football players would work for UPS(?) and my teacher's wife worked there and knew him. I got him to sign a SI magazine that featured the game on the cover.
I was a junior too really bummed that Syracuse beat BC the week before. I thought they'd show more resilience after the thrashing from Notre Dame.

I remember watching pieces of the Syracuse game because my best friend had applied early to SU and was a senior that year. He was all revved up for the Orange going to a big bowl.

Funny how you look back at a time 30 years ago and realize so much changed from that snapshot in time. I'm now preparing to go to the SU/BC game on Saturday night and hoping / praying we can pull one more out to get to 7 wins

sufandu

Living Legend
My first memory was of SU football is the Fiesta Bowl that year. I was 11. Don’t remember the Miami game - kind of glad I don’t?
It was an exciting game. Watching us gash them with up the middle runs to open the second half after they had something like 6 sacks in the first was beautiful. We came up just a bit short but knew we had watched one of our all time great teams.

rrlbees

2017 ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
Staff member
It was an exciting game. Watching us gash them with up the middle runs to open the second half after they had something like 6 sacks in the first was beautiful. We came up just a bit short but knew we had watched one of our all time great teams.

I remember that 2nd half. I kept yelling to people in my section that you can’t run away from speed, you have to run at it.

baggerbob

All American

A number of Players took internships at UPS during those years.

sufandu

Living Legend
I remember that 2nd half. I kept yelling to people in my section that you can’t run away from speed, you have to run at it.
Al Wooten and Marcus Lee were the FBs then, if I remember correctly. Once they hurt them up the middle, we were able to mix in some option to the edge. I think I remember Kevin Mason even having a nice option keeper when he came in for Graves when he had to go out for a play vomiting.

Cusefan78

Negative Nancy
I was 14. Watched it in my parents basement I remember being in total shock after the catch. Years later I ran into Gedney at kitty hoynes. I bough him and his wife a beer and started to talk about that game. You could see how much that catch coming up short bothered him. Rip to a true Orangeman.

Domedog84

Scout Team
I was 14. Watched it in my parents basement I remember being in total shock after the catch. Years later I ran into Gedney at kitty hoynes. I bough him and his wife a beer and started to talk about that game. You could see how much that catch coming up short bothered him. Rip to a true Orangeman.
I had a similar experience with Gedney at the NCAA tourney game against western Michigan in Buffalo. I told him my story of crying my eyes out when he didn’t make it. He said he did the same. RIP for sure. Great guy.

SWC75

Bored Historian
Al Wooten and Marcus Lee were the FBs then, if I remember correctly. Once they hurt them up the middle, we were able to mix in some option to the edge. I think I remember Kevin Mason even having a nice option keeper when he came in for Graves when he had to go out for a play vomiting.

We were in our two-minute offense which, under Coach P, was more of a four-minute offense. Graves pulled a McNabb, (heaved) and P had to decide whether to use our last time out to give him time to recover and keep him in the game or let the refs use an official time out for injury, in which case Marvin had to leave the game for at least one play. He chose the former. The play they ran was an option, which is not a two-minute offense play and hadn't been effective against Miami and wasn't the best play for a sick QB. We also had one of the greatest option QBs in history on the bench, (Doug Womack). Anyway, Graves got that ball to Gedney who was tackled by a Cane who was actually out of position and we had no more time-outs and lost.

Oh, and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Red Zone's Scott Hansen were both there. So was I, in the same seat I've had since the Dome opened in 1980, from which I've seen it all.