32 years ago…. | Syracusefan.com

32 years ago….

Jake

Mod
We rolled out a starting 5 of Stevie, Dave Johnson, DC, Billy and Leron Ellis to open the 89-90 season.

I say that because I was struck by how physically thin we looked last night. This isn’t about height or color. We just looked thin.

I thought today’s athletes had better access to weights, nutrition ETC. I thought we looked like we could be easily bullied.

We rolled out a starting 5 of Stevie, Dave Johnson, DC, Billy and Leron Ellis to open the 89-90 season.

I say that because I was struck by how physically thin we looked last night. This isn’t about height or color. We just looked thin.

I thought today’s athletes had better access to weights, nutrition ETC. I thought we looked like we could be easily bullied.
Did you see Trevor Keels on Duke? The kid is a bull.

I mean, no one is Quincy. But Cole, Jimmy, Torrence, JG3 and Buddy all very look strong to me. Even Benny, who’s a freshman, has some muscle.

eh, that 89-90 team was a classic pre-probation(first probation) JB underachiever. Ellis may have been big but he had about 1/100 the passion for the game as the kids we have now. DC checked out half the time and Stevie couldn't shoot from outside of 2 feet. See, don't you feel better about this current thin team already??

eh, that 89-90 team was a classic pre-probation(first probation) JB underachiever. Ellis may have been big but he had about 1/100 the passion for the game as the kids we have now. DC checked out half the time and Stevie couldn't shoot from outside of 2 feet. See, don't you feel better about this current thin team already??

They didn't underachieve -- they lacked a PG. And that fatal flaw undermined the potential of what was an otherwise loaded team in most other respects.

I actually thought we looked solid 1-5 in person and watching some of the game back just now. Nobody like Keels on Dook but nobody rail-thin like Doley.

With nothing on which to base this judgment besides last night's Duke-Kentucky game, those teams would murder the Orange inside, on the glass and with bodying on defense.

They didn't underachieve -- they lacked a PG. And that fatal flaw undermined the potential of what was an otherwise loaded team in most other respects.
If only Sherman had redshirted his freshman year while the Pearl ruled the court. If he had been on that 89-90 team, we would have been the favorites to win the National Championship - oh what a team that would have been! Even with Michael Edwards we started the year at 10-0. With the General, maybe we finish that year undefeated - a guy can dream...

If only Sherman had redshirted his freshman year while the Pearl ruled the court. If he had been on that 89-90 team, we would have been the favorites to win the National Championship - oh what a team that would have been! Even with Michael Edwards we started the year at 10-0. With the General, maybe we finish that year undefeated - a guy can dream...

Yeah, but - then we'd have RS Frosh Sherm (with ZERO in-game experience) at the helm of the '87 squad.

I've gotta imagine that season doesn't go quite as well with him running the show, having had no game experience from the prior season.

But yeah - he'd also likely still be the NCAA career assists leader, with 4 FULL years of running the show, rather than his second fiddle 15 mins/game as a true Frosh playing with Pearl.

To go from three years of all-American caliber play from the Pearl followed by three years of all-American caliber play from the General, to Michael Edwards was one of the biggest dropoffs imaginable.

Edwards remains one of my least favorite players in program history.

To go from three years of all-American caliber play from the Pearl followed by three years of all-American caliber play from the General, to Michael Edwards was one of the biggest dropoffs imaginable.

Edwards remains one of my least favorite players in program history.
Patterson seemed like a nice guy but god he stunk. He’s on my list of least favorites.

Jesse and we have all 5.
Infinity War Avengers GIF by Marvel Studios

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom