4 keys to a great year | Syracusefan.com

4 keys to a great year

I think you have to add Andre Cisco and Moe Neal to that list. Neal is going to surprise a lot of people this year.

Agreed they are both great players but we have depth at those positions. The secondary is loaded as is RB.

Agreed they are both great players but we have depth at those positions. The secondary is loaded as is RB.
Oh I see your logic

Couldn't you simplify and say there is 1 key to duplicating last years success which is health (particularly at the positions you mentioned)

I have been thinking about this question all offseason and with the addition of the two experienced OTs, I really don’t see the weak spot in the team that causes a huge step back.

Yes Tommy has to be good, but I am in the camp that he will be better than good. I don’t think we’re going to be talking about him being the best 1st yr QB, I think we’re going to be talking about how he is in the conversation with the top handful of QBs PERIOD.

Last edited:
The key may be what names start at LB. Everyone listed is a known quantity. We don't exactly know how we will do replacing Slayton, but we know we're solid there. LB is a much bigger question mark.
Yea but with league leading DEs and DBs, I think the LBs will be in a better position to play well without having to do anything special.

Last edited:
Oh I see your logic

Couldn't you simplify and say there is 1 key to duplicating last years success is health (particularly at the positions you mentioned)

I have been thinking about this question all offseason and with the addition of the two experienced OTs, I really don’t see the weak spot in the team that cause a huge step back.

Yes Tommy has to be good, but I am in the camp that he will be better than good. I don’t think we’re going to be talking about him being the best 1st yr QB, I think we’re going to be talking about how he is in the conversation with the top handful of QBs PERIOD.
Yes. Specifically im saying that we dont have guys good enough to replace those 4 players without a significant drop off. Tommy is obviously the Key. Alton is our best DE since Freeney. Servais anchors a new line and will be protecting TD blind side. Black may be the only one we could shore up for but i believe he is poised for a dominant year.

Yes. Specifically im saying that we dont have guys good enough to replace those 4 players without a significant drop off. Tommy is obviously the Key. Alton is our best DE since Freeney. Servais anchors a new line and will be protecting TD blind side. Black may be the only one we could shore up for but i believe he is poised for a dominant year.
Couldn't agree more

Could also make the argument for Foster since our biggest weakness will be run D and I’m not sure any of our secondary depth has run stopping as their specialty. I see lots of CB, FS and nickels but no SS’s. But many people know our roster better than me, hopefully I’m wrong...

Last edited:
I love black but I think Ruff is key. Bye end of year he was playing almost as well as Slayton. Kidd is super explosive with a nose for the ball. The three inside guys do better than we think and that will give our backers some breathing room.

I agree our interior is solid would like to see Harper step up this year as well. At DE we have a solid 4 plus man rotation and i believe that LB is going to end up being a major strength within a few games as the athleticism of our guys is evident, they just need snaps.

I love black but I think Ruff is key. Bye end of year he was playing almost as well as Slayton. Kidd is super explosive with a nose for the ball. The three inside guys do better than we think and that will give our backers some breathing room.
Yes but even if your right (I think you might be) we still can not afford to lose any 1 of our 3 tackles. A healthy DT rotation includes at least 4 guys who can contribute at a starters level. We are already at 3 (again, from what I understand about our roster which is admittedly not much compared to others) which is light.

Going down to 2 I think would be catastrophic, particularly when Nov rolls around and everyone is dinged up and exhausted

Last edited:
My 4:
• Ryan Alexander (bc i have full faith in Servais doing well)
• Tyrell Richards (a three-down backer)
• Trill Williams (CB after Frederick was in flux at times, Trill locks in)
• Trishton Jackson (Supposedly is good and could give Cuse a big-time outside WR pairing with Harris).

Yes but even if your right (I think you might be) we still can not afford to lose any 1 of our 3 tackles. A healthy DT rotation includes at least 4 guys who can contribute at a starters level. We are already at 3 (again, from what I understand about our roster which is admittedly not much compared to others) which is light.

Going down to 2 I think would be catastrophic, particularly when Nov rolls around and everyone is dinged up and exhausted
Totally agree with that. Hoping Rondi or someone comes in better than we thought to give us at least 4.

I think it will be our o line. Coach Babers said the game is won by the hippos and elephants. I’m not worried about our defense; but I would like to see our o line in action.

Totally agree with that. Hoping Rondi or someone comes in better than we thought to give us at least 4.

It's gotta be Harper right? He's got size and has been in the program long enough at this point to be the 4th DT. Would be very telling if a true frosh jumped him.

if the oline is playing well the coaches have shown that backup qbs can do pretty well in this offense even if we have to run a simplified version. oline-dline play is the key to overcoming injuries.

It's gotta be Harper right? He's got size and has been in the program long enough at this point to be the 4th DT. Would be very telling if a true frosh jumped him.

I'd agree.

Black, Ruff, and Bear are clearly the Big 3 (literally and figuratively) at DT.

The only other guy besides Harper, who seems to be close to legit DT size, is Shaq G.
Anybody else we try to plug in there currently on the roster, is a DE-sized guy.

You had me at “depth”. :rolleyes:
Not used to hearing that word used much on this side. I understand and agree completely. Can’t help getting excited.

Yeah true. Haven’t heard anything yet on him. Hoping he is ready but he needs a little more explosion than he showed on his hs tape.

I'm concerned about the whispers in another thread of there being more injuries than we non-insiders are aware. As it was at least loosely verified by an insider, I can't help but wonder who (of course) and at what positions. There is enough time for a lot of mild injuries to heal and to get appropriate practice time, but there is room for some concern, too.
Hey, what's being a fan like without a little paranoia and handwringing?

I'm concerned about the whispers in another thread of there being more injuries than we non-insiders are aware. As it was at least loosely verified by an insider, I can't help but wonder who (of course) and at what positions. There is enough time for a lot of mild injuries to heal and to get appropriate practice time, but there is room for some concern, too.
Hey, what's being a fan like without a little paranoia and handwringing?
I’ll give you one , heckle is 100% has been full go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom