#44 | Syracusefan.com

BVille44

All Conference
Interesting quote from the staff to a recruit regarding wearing #44.

Specifically, Pritchard enjoyed learning about 44. "I thought it was pretty cool what they do with the number 44," Pritchard said. "How you have to earn the right to wear the number from Jim Brown and the coaching staff.”

Interesting quote from the staff to a recruit regarding wearing #44.

Specifically, Pritchard enjoyed learning about 44. "I thought it was pretty cool what they do with the number 44," Pritchard said. "How you have to earn the right to wear the number from Jim Brown and the coaching staff.”

Dudes head looks like a bobble head

Sean 44ucker?
I am fairly certain he has said that he wants to create his own legacy with 34

that being said...if JB (the other one) and families don't/didn't sign off on Sean...gonna take something special

that being said...if JB (the other one) and families don't/didn't sign off on Sean...gonna take something special
Here's a spoiler..

Jim Brown isn't signing off on anyone wearing 44

Here's a spoiler..

Jim Brown isn't signing off on anyone wearing 44
That might be one of the craziest things I have ever read. Not your comment but the fact that he would even have to sign off on it. We lost Ernie Davis at a young age, we lost Floyd Little not that long ago. Jim Brown, who we can call the GOAT of Syracuse running backs is getting up there in age (86 years old). What happens then. Is it permanently retired or does it skip down to the younger generation and have Rob Konrad, Terry Richardson and Michael Owens decide who gets to wear it? Nothing against those three. All fine representatives of Syracuse football, and wore 44 proudly, but can they really be compared to Brown, Davis and Little.

Is it permanently retired or does it skip down to the younger generation and have Rob Konrad, Terry Richardson and Michael Owens decide who gets to wear it? Nothing against those three. All fine representatives of Syracuse football, and wore 44 proudly, but can they really be compared to Brown, Davis and Little.
Or to Joe Morris, who didn’t wear 44 at all.

I’m really disappointed at how the University has screwed this up. I’m not aware that former 1950’s and 60’s 44’s had input on those who came later but now it seems they do when it comes to Sean.

Tucker should have gotten 44 last year but didn’t. Now, he has his merchandise out there with 34 and I think he should stick with his number. We have made such a big deal out of 44 through the years and now that we have botched the handling of one of the greatest RB’s ever at SU, 44 means a lot less than it used to.

He said that last season when people kept bringing it up. Will he change his mind for this season, who knows?

I’m really disappointed at how the University has screwed this up. I’m not aware that former 1950’s and 60’s 44’s had input on those who came later but now it seems they do when it comes to Sean.

Tucker should have gotten 44 last year but didn’t. Now, he has his merchandise out there with 34 and I think he should stick with his number. We have made such a big deal out of 44 through the years and now that we have botched the handling of one of the greatest RB’s ever at SU, 44 means a lot less than it used to.
The Good Doctor made it messy...the blame lies there.

I’ve come to the sad conclusion that this issue resonates more with fans on this forum, then it does the staff or SU admin. I really do not think they give a rats azz about this, and in the process they’re destroying the 44 legacy once and for all. Sad part is…I don’t think they care, at all.

He said that last season when people kept bringing it up. Will he change his mind for this season, who knows?
Prior to saying that, he was saying that he would be honored and open to wearing 44. Then when it was confirmed it wasn't happening, he said he's going to make 34 a thing. aka the administration botched a layup of an opportunity to create a massive buzz around the program. Who knows though, maybe we see it this year...

Last edited:
Coach Mac understood the traditions. He was really the last coach who did. Mac understood branding. Sure it's a lot of hype, sentimentality and BS, but what isn't. I've seen the 44's play going back to Davis's sophomore year. Tucker should have 44. Memories fade, but I recall Morris didn't want it.

Prior to saying that, he was saying that he would be honored and open to wearing 44. Then when it was confirmed it wasn't happening, he said he's going to make 34 a thing. aka the administration botched a layup of an opportunity to create a massive buzz around the program. Who knows though, maybe we sit it this year...
100%… who knows though, maybe the next guy will rush for 1600 yards in 2023 and could be eligible for voting of the super secret council by their upperclassmen years in 2024-25.

That would be enough runway to create the proper buzz for the media campaign for Heisman.

Can never be too careful with the opportunity.

I would’ve thought ADJW would’ve put an end to this nonsense by now. Very disappointed.

So when Jim Brown kicks the bucket, are they going to use a medium to reach out for his blessing?

If this is a legal issue I’d just issue the 44 and let Jim Brown bring a lawsuit. The backlash against him would put this to bed very quickly

It must be legal or else JW would have made the decision. Being held hostage by a guy who has a very suspect past is not good for the university.

If this is a legal issue I’d just issue the 44 and let Jim Brown bring a lawsuit. The backlash against him would put this to bed very quickly

It must be legal or else JW would have made the decision. Being held hostage by a guy who has a very suspect past is not good for the university.
I am not sure how it would be a legal issue. The University owns the rights to the numbers it uses on the football field, not a former player. It is a PR issue that was created when 44 was retired, a backlash ensued, and now the University is trying to determine how resurrect the number without causing Brown or Little's family from trashing the school.

I am not sure how it would be a legal issue. The University owns the rights to the numbers it uses on the football field, not a former player. It is a PR issue that was created when 44 was retired, a backlash ensued, and now the University is trying to determine how resurrect the number without causing Brown or Little's family from trashing the school.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Gross made some kind of financial deal.

The answer is no one I would guess. School didn’t cow tow to a guy who tossed a woman out a window once
I think Brown is getting a bad rap here. Seriously doubt that he’d be the impediment to 44 being offered, especially to a RB of Tucker’s quality.
He has his blemishes but he’s been a good ambassador for SU, especially in his later years.
When the truth comes out, I’d be shocked if Jim Brown ends up as the culprit. JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom