46 points is a program NCAA tournament low. | Syracusefan.com

46 points is a program NCAA tournament low.

When 3's aren't falling, we don't have another way of scoring. We're lacking a slasher like Devo or a big man that can consistently score from the post. We need a stabilizing high percentage guy that gives us an option when 3's aren't falling.

Last edited:
When 3's aren't falling, we don't have another way of scoring. We're lacking a slasher like Devo or a big man that can consistently score from the post. We nees a stabilizing high percentage guy that gives us an option when 3's aren't falling.
Yes, we're missing a Carmelo or John Wallce.

JB 7-13 now in Sweet Sixteen games when opponents have a week to prepare for the zone.
No point to be made when his first-round record is sterling and his F4 mark is 3-2.

Tough defenses normally shut us down for myriad reasons. It’s hardly a surprise and it stinks.

Hey it's only 8 points less than Storrs and they played a much worse defensive team

No point to be made when his first-round record is sterling and his F4 mark is 3-2.
Generally speaking, in the first round, his opponents should tend to be less talented. In the F4, his squads should tend to be his own most talented.

The Sweet 16 is the spot where opponents get a week, they're going to tend to be at least top 25 caliber teams, and Boeheim has the full range of his teams to that point given his opening weekend success.

I also think the bubble probably helped U of H prepare for the zone. No flights back and forth to waste time, less distractions.

While probably not a tournament low, the 62 points from Houston tonight was their lowest output this season.
We were solid defensively and did a much better job on the boards than I thought we would. Buddy was just off - credit to Jarreau but he had a few open looks that he missed.

we thought we would need Q/Marek/AG to be big to win this game - combined to go 4/18, that was the difference. I don’t think anyone expected Buddy to go off against this defense, but we thought the bigs might have an edge.

I would have liked to see AG play more despite his D, he was drawing fouls early and was able to penetrate

We were solid defensively and did a much better job on the boards than I thought we would. Buddy was just off - credit to Jarreau but he had a few open looks that he missed.

we thought we would need Q/Marek/AG to be big to win this game - combined to go 4/18, that was the difference. I don’t think anyone expected Buddy to go off against this defense, but we thought the bigs might have an edge.

I would have liked to see AG play more despite his D, he was drawing fouls early and was able to penetrate
This is the story.

Houston played very strong defense and didn't turn the ball over...except for that one stretch where SU tied the score at 20-20.
(Hard to believe SU only scored 26 points the rest of the game).
The Orange made Houston's defense even better by missing open looks and layups.

The forwards had to score.
It didn't happen.
Under these circumstances it seems Griffin should have returned from the witness protection program or wherever he's being hidden and given a little run.
We understand the downside to that...but it seems as if it would have been a good tactic.

A rough way to go out. I figured a game in the 50s/60s was easily possible which favored Houston, but to not even crack the 50 mark... that won’t cut it. This one essentially went exactly the wrong way possible.

They scored 62 pts. It wasn't the zone defense that beat us tonight.
Agree 100%. Houston has a few good possessions vs the zone but didn‘t really beat it. They got most of their points when the zone wasn’t set or through really deep threes from Grimes. The bigger problems were offense, the fact that we went one and done every time and our inability to get any easy buckets on the break.

This is the story.

Houston played very strong defense and didn't turn the ball over...except for that one stretch where SU tied the score at 20-20.

It didn't happen.
Under these circumstances it seems Griffin should have returned from the witness protection program or wherever he's being hidden and given a little run.
We understand the downside to that...but it seems as if it would have been a good tactic.
Apparently JB could see something wrong with the first horrible air ball he put up eary. He didn't seem to be yelling at him but telling him something and AG nodded his head.

They scored 62 pts. It wasn't the zone defense that beat us tonight.
No but the zone didn't confuse them or cause a bunch of turnovers outside of that one stretch (and JB abandoned that lineup for a while). Houston was very disciplined and smart in how they attacked the zone. They just couldn't shoot because that's their weakness. But they got the ball to the right places on the floor and made good decisions on where to go next and moved it around well. If they had guys who could shoot, they would have scored 80.

But that's the key, they aren't a good shooting team! So this was a game to break character and say you know what? Put Edwards in the middle to deny any layups or dunks on breakdowns in the zone and play a lineup that has a better chance to score even if it makes the zone worse, because we aren't getting anything going offensively and if we give up a few more open jump shots, it's not the end of the world against this team. Could have been Kadary, Girard, Buddy, Marek, Edwards. Maybe it was Griffin at the 4. I don't know, but we didn't get to see what would have happened.

No but the zone didn't confuse them or cause a bunch of turnovers outside of that one stretch (and JB abandoned that lineup for a while). Houston was very disciplined and smart in how they attacked the zone. They just couldn't shoot because that's their weakness. But they got the ball to the right places on the floor and made good decisions on where to go next and moved it around well. If they had guys who could shoot, they would have scored 80.

But that's the key, they aren't a good shooting team! So this was a game to break character and say you know what? Put Edwards in the middle to deny any layups or dunks on breakdowns in the zone and play a lineup that has a better chance to score even if it makes the zone worse, because we aren't getting anything going offensively and if we give up a few more open jump shots, it's not the end of the world against this team. Could have been Kadary, Girard, Buddy, Marek, Edwards. Maybe it was Griffin at the 4. I don't know, but we didn't get to see what would have happened.
If we were indeed plus 11 when Edwards was in the game, and I think we just might have been, that is on the coach. It was clear that when he was in the game, they had trouble scoring and rebounding. he should have played more than 19 minutes.

Apparently JB could see something wrong with the first horrible air ball he put up eary. He didn't seem to be yelling at him but telling him something and AG nodded his head.

I think it was probably shot selection more than the airball.

It was a bad shot and there was zero reason for it.

That being said, he didn't take another bad one after that. So, I agreed with JB wholeheartedly on the quick hook. I think it brought him down a bit. After that, would have played him more than we did.

This is the story.

It didn't happen.
I’ll say it till the cows come home:
“The key to this game was Alan Griffin”. We had to have him show up yesterday, and he didn’t.
Should he have gotten more run? Maybe. But we weren’t beating UH w/out his contribution.
Buddy couldn’t carry us forever, and even a so-so game from Marek/QG could’ve been overcome by Griff having a good game.
It didn’t happen- so we’re going home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom