4th and 1 | Syracusefan.com

4th and 1

The 4th and 1 play was amazing. Coach Anae made a risky decision that made a huge difference in the game. Needless to say the man has bowling balls for nuts to make that play call. Great win!
I actually wondered when we were lining up if it might be a good time for a go for broke passing play.

And if it went bad we would be killing him for not handing off to Tucker. Fact is, it’s all about the result. Sometimes bad decisions end up working out. And vice versa.
Yup. Its easy for people to say it was wrong after they know the results. A lot of things can happen when you make these decisions. It doesnt mean the decision was right or wrong despite the results.

And if it went bad we would be killing him for not handing off to Tucker. Fact is, it’s all about the result. Sometimes bad decisions end up working out. And vice versa.
I don't know if Tucker at that time was a good choice. Defenses don't believe in our passing game. That is clear. That might change.
That said, I thought a draw to Tucker in the last drive might have gone for a big gain.

Yup. Its easy for people to say it was wrong after they know the results. A lot of things can happen when you make these decisions. It doesnt mean the decision was right or wrong despite the results.
Dr. Bob is as good as it gets. Guys only had since spring to work his magic. Hes the most important hire we have had in a very long time.
If im JW i pay him and White top money to keep them .

Tucker was off. Anae didn't even go to him on the second to last drive when we couldn't pick up a 1st down to end the game. We have to hope Sean looks like himself Friday. I think we went to the right guys on the big plays.

The fumble was huge. GS is going to miss throws here and there but Allen and Tucker took 14 points off the board in the first half with the fumble and blowing the throw to GS.

Gonna be honest. Feels good to have a very competent coaching staff for once lol

On the topic of former SU coaches, I saw that a few of them are now coaching in the XFL. That doesn’t speak highly of them in my opinion.

Tucker was off. Anae didn't even go to him on the second to last drive when we couldn't pick up a 1st down to end the game. We have to hope Sean looks like himself Friday. I think we went to the right guys on the big plays.

1st and 10 at SYR23Syracuse drive start at 02:53.
1st and 10 at SYR23No Huddle-Shotgun Shrader, Garrett rush middle for 5 yards loss to the SYR18 (Douglas, Kieren).
2nd and 15 at SYR18No Huddle-Shotgun Shrader, Garrett pass incomplete short right to Jones, Isaiah broken up by Trice, Cory.
3rd and 15 at SYR18No Huddle-Shotgun Tucker, Sean rush middle for 8 yards gain to the SYR26 (Jefferson, Chris; Sullivan, Jack).

I didn't like the incomplete pass to Jones (because it gave Purdue a free timeout).

But if it works, it works.

The fumble was huge. GS is going to miss throws here and there but Allen and Tucker took 14 points off the board in the first half with the fumble and blowing the throw to GS.

Check the run blocking as far as Tucker. As to Allen’s pass? Yea the pass was wide open and he poorly over through it. But I put some blame on the coaches. The play should have been called off and a TO taken. Right in front of me a couple coaches were going crazy trying to find Allen. Finally some young coach found him and they rushed him into the game. I have to believe he was discombobulated, rushed, and probably frustrated he wasn’t ready and the coaches weren’t happy.

Check the run blocking as far as Tucker. As to Allen’s pass? Yea the pass was wide open and he poorly over through it. But I put some blame on the coaches. The play should have been called off and a TO taken. Right in front of me a couple coaches were going crazy trying to find Allen. Finally some young coach found him and they rushed him into the game. I have to believe he was discombobulated, rushed, and probably frustrated he wasn’t ready and the coaches weren’t happy.
I said the something similar to my son as we were watching the game. I didn’t see everything you saw in regard to the coaching staff, but could tell that Allen just looked nervous throwing that ball. You know they practiced the play over and over in practice. Allen is probably disappointed he didn’t come through. Something just didn’t seem right. Nerves by being rushed I guess.

The 4 n 1 play was brilliantly designed. I presume we decided pre-game we were running that if in that situation. Decisive call. Purdue was selling out on Tucker, we made him a decoy.

I’m hoping we improve on play calling with a late lead. The two 3 and out drives neither got us a first nor burned clock. Poorly conceived.

I said the something similar to my son as we were watching the game. I didn’t see everything you saw in regard to the coaching staff, but could tell that Allen just looked nervous throwing that ball. You know they practiced the play over and over in practice. Allen is probably disappointed he didn’t come through. Something just didn’t seem right. Nerves by being rushed I guess.
If Shrader can't hit that pass, you can't blame Allen for not doing so.

Tucker and Shrader were both really off in that first half. It was so odd. First play of the game, Tucker has an LB beat, throw is way behind him and out of bounds.

The flea flicker, I don't know what that flip was from Tucker to Shrader, and then Shrader's throw was terrible. Bad all the way around. Bailed out by the bad throw PI call (one of my least favorite calls in football but loved that one!).

The option pitch to Tucker and he had so much room, but took his eyes off the ball and dropped it.

The Allen pass (although reading what Bees said, that's the stuff we don't see on TV).

Couple of obvious plays where Shrader should have dumped off to Tucker but didn't even look at him. Then couldn't find anyone open.

I know all of these things happen, but just weird to see them all happen in the first 3 quarters of one game.

I don't think Tucker was off - I think the entire Purdue team had their HC in their ear whispering if you let that kid get a yard, you'll be running laps all night after we get home.

Using Tucker as a decoy was the right call by Anae.

Dr. Bob is as good as it gets. Guys only had since spring to work his magic. Hes the most important hire we have had in a very long time.
I agree but that has nothing to do with my comment. My point is execution can go right or wrong on any play despite the decision. The defense make good calls as well and defenders make plays too. No OC is immune to failed conversations.

Last edited:
Tucker and Shrader were both really off in that first half. It was so odd. First play of the game, Tucker has an LB beat, throw is way behind him and out of bounds.

The flea flicker, I don't know what that flip was from Tucker to Shrader, and then Shrader's throw was terrible. Bad all the way around. Bailed out by the bad throw PI call (one of my least favorite calls in football but loved that one!).

The option pitch to Tucker and he had so much room, but took his eyes off the ball and dropped it.

The Allen pass (although reading what Bees said, that's the stuff we don't see on TV).

Couple of obvious plays where Shrader should have dumped off to Tucker but didn't even look at him. Then couldn't find anyone open.

I know all of these things happen, but just weird to see them all happen in the first 3 quarters of one game.
Shrader admitted he was off in the first half in the presser with Caleb and Gasden II. He also admitted some things were going on this week which indicated to me his mind wasn't totally on the game and thus neither were his throws. He, as tomcat said, didn't get any help from the refs or their DB's who were messing things up in a big way for our receivers

Like Dino said even though you're an ace, sometimes you don't throw strikes, things get away from you
and you have a bad game. He'll be OK on Friday. EDIT: IF NOT THERE'S ALWAYS DEL RIO WILSON.

Last edited:
I don't think Tucker was off - I think the entire Purdue team had their HC in their ear whispering if you let that kid get a yard, you'll be running laps all night after we get home.

Using Tucker as a decoy was the right call by Anae.
I really feel he is somewhat hurt from Louisville. He is not nearly as explosive as he was in first quarter of Ville

we basically from the 2 trick passes, the tucker toss play and the 3-4 wheel route plays. had 6-7 huge chunk plays called against the perfect D and didnt gain a single yd and the toss play lost yds when he dropped it. plays the D couldnt defend and in an avg world say just 3 worked thats like 150 yds and 2 TDs. Probably at a min should have completed 3-4 and the toss play for 200 yds.

So while the final stats skewed for Purdue its no great leap for it to go all the other way. I dont think the Purdue kid misses all those Tucker throws to the pt he could even touch them.

Do we know we didn’t pay top money to get Anae?

Personally I loved the 4th and 1 call, make it or miss it. I like coaches that play aggressive football. I like aggressive offense and aggressive defense. Running Tucker was no sure thing and I would have accepted an incomplete pass there. We have had our share of fairly conservative coaching here and I find the change in both sides of the ball quite refreshing.

I understand he's behind Tucker, but how can a 2nd string RB NOT be ready to get in a game. I loved that play call and it had 6 written all over it. Unfortunately Lequint didn't make the throw. I have a feeling he'll more than make up for it over the next 4 years, but that was a tough one to let slip away.

I understand he's behind Tucker, but how can a 2nd string RB NOT be ready to get in a game. I loved that play call and it had 6 written all over it. Unfortunately Lequint didn't make the throw. I have a feeling he'll more than make up for it over the next 4 years, but that was a tough one to let slip away.

Completely agree. Any back up with even a slight chance of getting in should be standing near the coaches behind them and following them up and down the field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom