4th and goal | Syracusefan.com

4th and goal

hplare

Skilled observer of photographs
This is truly a Tuesday afternoon quarterback comment, but I wonder if any others shared my disappointment and anger at kicking the field goal. The 3 points certainly contributed to the 30 that led to overtime, but even if the attempt failed as the the three previous uninspired straight ahead dives had, we still would have left Wake on the one. Instead, after the ensuing kickoff, they quickly scored with the 7 points adding to their total of 30.

I know the argument about not leaving points off the board and this is truly all after the fact. But consider this: A short time later that day in the Stanford Notre Dame game Stanford faced almost the same decision. 4th and goal from the two or three. They went for it and as they lined up the color commentator praised the decision by noting, "When you're 3 and seven in the last game of the season. why not go for it. It doesn't make any sense not to.

This is truly a Tuesday afternoon quarterback comment, but I wonder if any others shared my disappointment and anger at kicking the field goal. The 3 points certainly contributed to the 30 that led to overtime, but even if the attempt failed as the the three previous uninspired straight ahead dives had, we still would have left Wake on the one. Instead, after the ensuing kickoff, they quickly scored with the 7 points adding to their total of 30.

I know the argument about not leaving points off the board and this is truly all after the fact. But consider this: A short time later that day in the Stanford Notre Dame game Stanford faced almost the same decision. 4th and goal from the two or three. They went for it and as they lined up the color commentator praised the decision by noting, "When you're 3 and seven in the last game of the season. why not go for it. It doesn't make any sense not to.

The 3rd down call was so head scratching (and I have a giant head) that I wasn't nearly finished when they decided to kick. So I barely noticed.

Nah we weren’t getting it. The problem was the play calling on 1-3 downs.

As an aside I hate when teams (both NFL and college) pull linemen in short yardage. More often than not he helps to blow up the play.

we should have kicked on the earlier drive too. going for it is more often the wrong thing to do. I know some metrics say go for it but that doesnt make it right

I think I was more disappointed/frustrated in our inability to punch it in and put the game away. IMO it was a combination of both execuation and play calling.

Was the TE slip pass taken out of our play book after last season?

I think I was more disappointed/frustrated in our inability to punch it in and put the game away. IMO it was a combination of both execuation and play calling.

Was the TE slip pass taken out of our play book after last season?
used it against duke or lousville for 6

there are no stats to make a case for it. but it was the wrong thing to do last weekend and it was wrong in more than one game.. teams down 14 always end up going for it, then when the dont make it and have to score a TD late people forget that had the kicked the first FG then often could have tied the game late.. its happened to SU a couple times just this yr that we chased TDs and got zero and then when it got latter we had to chase TDs again where 2-3 FGs would have done the same deal.

just because someone creates a formula to show the results they want doesnt mean those calculations are correct in the bigger picture. you have to factor in how a team is playing and how the game is being played and most of the numbers being used over time have a basis on when games were much lower scoring.

its no different than when you should go for 2 is almost never used correctly.

Right call, IMO. When downs 1-3 are that bad I truly think unless you have an absolute ace up your sleeve you kick the FG. Such bad momentum after 3rd down. That’s where a QB that can sneak it is huge on 1st down as it’s 90% of time it’s a TD.

Couldn’t agree more. Babers makes some odd head scratching decisions. I kept yelling at my tv. JUST SNEAK IT JUST SNEAK IT

to hell with jumbo rhino garbage.

all the switching around they did at qb, why have devito in there to just slowly hand off?

spread everyone out and have the qb fall forward

Quick snap QB sneak with Elmore pushing Welch into the end zone from behind should have been all we needed.

QB sneak seems to easy yet you really only see 1 Pro (Brady) do it well.. its only easy when you have the dominant Oline

to me the play is line up 5 wide QB under center and just run the sneak until the figure that the have to bring the LBs inside, If you have a decent oline they have to adjust to stop it and now you can drop the QB back and the coverages will be much simpler.

Quick snap QB sneak with Elmore pushing Welch into the end zone from behind should have been all we needed.

Combine your idea with Millhouse's and I don't see how you cant get 6 inches. I just hate when there is some many guys right in a bunch and it always seems if you don't get it on 1st down they try on 2nd and then try something to the outside on 3rd down

when you dont have the horses you dont bunch up the line. we struggle wiht 2nd and 1 at any spot on the field so why expect better results on the goal line when the other teams has less options to defend

This is factually wrong

The analytics are in a vacuum, you still have to play the man and not the cards, each situation (how your offense matches up with their defense, time & score) is going to drive your decision more that percentages.

all the switching around they did at qb, why have devito in there to just slowly hand off?

I don't know why we don't do this more often.

Lol I just imagined this happening and 2-3 blocking assignments being missed with the ball carrier running straight into a defender with their eyes closed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom