4th Quarter and Desko | Syracusefan.com

4th Quarter and Desko

SkyTopBus44

Starter
Enjoyed the post game presser when one of the players said we are bigger, faster and stronger as a result in the 4th quarter the team is just hitting our stride. Was not the case against Virginia but has been the past few weeks. I also think it is a testament to Desko. He often takes it on the chin on the forum but he seems to be identifying ways to score in the 4th. They definitely are making adjustments both on offense and defense. The team seems to be improving week to week which is a sign of good coaching. The squad thst showed up against Colgate is not the one going into the Duke contest.

I believe the conditioning of SU players is top shelf. I also believe the depth of SU's team is not to be overlooked. Rutgers' 1s are good enough to play for SU, Virginia, and a few other elite teams, but the drop off is significant. Elite teams have great 1s with 2s ready to step up.

My perspective is that Desko pulled SU away from the up-tempo running transition offense of Roy Simmons Jr. and lead the move towards highly specialized player (a la the middies that play one way, swap at mid-field on change of possession; like football). It worked, 5 NCs speak for themselves. Once everyone made the shift to specialized players on each end f the field, that advantage was negated. Note the downswing in NCs by SU and the broad number of teams with NCs over the last 10+ years. Now, the pendulum is swinging back towards the up-tempo transition game with middies that play both ways.

It's good for lacrosse, more physical, faster, less boring, lets kids play like they played when they were really kids and rewards players for knowing the game and several positions.

I mean just look at how much bigger Varello got. I think that speaks for something. He obviously has been impacting the team quite well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom