5-7 records for bowl teams | Syracusefan.com

5-7 records for bowl teams

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Let's think back on last season and the number of 5-7 teams that were necessary to fill the slate of all those lower tier bowl games out there.

One thing clearly in our favor this year is that our offense might be entertaining as hell. Given how ugly we sometimes looked under Shaffer, and those embarrassing losses on national TV, Babers' offense might sneak us into a bowl at 5-7 if our offense is as entertaining as we all hope it will be. It certainly would be nice to catch a break on the road back.

Let's think back on last season and the number of 5-7 teams that were necessary to fill the slate of all those lower tier bowl games out there.

One thing clearly in our favor this year is that our offense might be entertaining as hell. Given how ugly we sometimes looked under Shaffer, and those embarrassing losses on national TV, Babers' offense might sneak us into a bowl at 5-7 if our offense is as entertaining as we all hope it will be. It certainly would be nice to catch a break on the road back.
We'd better have our academics in order, if it comes to that.

its all APR based. at 5-7 last year we still needed about 5 more teams to lose to get a bowl game.

I know I am getting older, but I remember when you actually had to have a winning season to get a "look" from the bowls, let alone an invite. I still prefer at least a winning record, no splits (6-6) records getting into bowl games. However, considering where our team has been, I am willing to make an exception...just this once...or whenever it benefits the Orange...but nobody else!

No 5-7 team should be in a bowl game, its a joke. They need to get rid of some of the bowls
So for Syracuse football to go 5-7 with THIS schedule doesn't deserve to go bowling?! But other programs with joke schedules that go 7-5 do???
I.e. - We crush BC head to head, but because of their ridiculously easy schedule they go 7-5...

No one should go to a bowl game at 5-7, its bad enough having 6-6 teams in bowl games.
Maybe so... But that rewards and promotes BC/Rutgers type scheduling...

They just changed this rule. 6-6 teams will always get in over 5-7 teams regardless of bowl tie ins

They just changed this rule. 6-6 teams will always get in over 5-7 teams regardless of bowl tie ins
Who said a 5-7 team gets in before a 6-6 team? No one in this thread.

Mediocre bowls get mediocre teams. It's a good fit.

Remember when 6-6 teams were complaining that they didn't get a bowl invite? (before 5-7 teams for bowls were even a thing). Now, it's swung the other way. We're either going to have too many bowls or not enough. Just depends on what side of the fence you're on.

Who said a 5-7 team gets in before a 6-6 team? No one in this thread.
This thread is about 5-7 teams going bowling. That cant happen anymore because 6-6 G5 and lower teams will get bowls before 5-7 P5 teams per the new rule change

This thread is about 5-7 teams going bowling. That cant happen anymore because 6-6 G5 and lower teams will get bowls before 5-7 P5 teams per the new rule change
Not sure if you're not keeping up with the news, or just misinterpreting it. 5-7 are indeed allowed to go to a bowl, provided all 6-6 teams (and better) have been selected. New rules. Gotta keep up, man.

Council: No 5-7 teams in bowls until 6-6s picked

"Bartender, can you please make my drink extra watered down? That's the way I prefer it." -people who think 5-7 teams should play in bowl games

No 5-7 team should be in a bowl game, its a joke. They need to get rid of some of the bowls

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm suggesting that we might sneak in to a lower bowl with a 5-7 record if we have an offense that puts up 35-40 points a game.

The season hasn't started yet and we have no clue on how well we will do and people are already talking about bowling at 5-7...this is in Rutgers territory if you ask me.

We are much better than that,especially as fans we should expect much better.

We have no defensive ends. We have 3 new starters on an offensive line that was not very good last year. We had a poor secondary that we are hoping makes a leap due to experience. Plus we have entirely different systems being installed on both sides of the ball, and the inevitable players having been run off the team by incoming coaches.

I'd like to puff my chest out and say we're going to go 8-4, but it would take a small miracle for that to happen in Babers' first year.

The season hasn't started yet and we have no clue on how well we will do and people are already talking about bowling at 5-7...this is in Rutgers territory if you ask me.

In the past 10 seasons we have gone to three bowls and Rutgers has gone to eight. In that sense, I want to be in Rutgers territory.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm suggesting that we might sneak in to a lower bowl with a 5-7 record if we have an offense that puts up 35-40 points a game.

I really hope that wouldn't happen, I would be embarrassed to be 5-7 and play in a bowl game.

why would any team other than the teams that are normally top 10 ever be embarrassed about playing in a bowl? a team like SU needs the exposure and the practice.

Has any team finished 5-8 yet?

I'd hate to be the first.

Briancuse said:
I really hope that wouldn't happen, I would be embarrassed to be 5-7 and play in a bowl game.

Embarrassment gives away to the sweet knowledge that those 15 (?) extra practices help your team in many many ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom