5 bubble seasons without competing for a conference title | Syracusefan.com

5 bubble seasons without competing for a conference title

Alsacs

Living Legend
I mean thank goodness for the Final Four in 2016 and Sweet Sixteen in 2018 because outside of those 2 runs we are as medicore in the regular season as anybody.
JB doesn't need to change the defense but outside of that our program needs a major overhaul.

I mean thank goodness for the Final Four in 2016 and Sweet Sixteen in 2018 because outside of those 2 runs we are as medicore in the regular season as anybody.
JB doesn't need to change the defense but outside of that our program needs a major overhaul.
This is the tail end of JB’s career. It’s just a question of if it’s this year, next year, or the following. Expect more of the same until the big change is made.

I actually disagree... our D will need an overhaul because he's going to need to recruit different players to play a new offense and they won't be good at the zone. Boeheim jr is the perfect example... he is too slow footed to react the way he needs to in the zone.

Yep, and it’s mediocrity with a style that’s really tough to watch. If only we had a long time assistant who was an amazing recruiter to gracefully take the reigns and inject energy into the program.

But hey, we have Buddy, which is nice.

You are wrong. The defense is the biggest problem. The way we recruit for it. Does anyone else see the center have to go to the corner to cover a 3 point shooter? And have the center actually pulled out of a game because he couldn't get to the corner??? And the lanky forwards that can't shoot? And making sure our lead guard is tall. Whether he is a pt guard or not. We were once a fast running team. We didn't win in the tournament. we lost some close games that in the last few years, we have won. That doesn't mean it is because of the zone. Our recruiting strategy has been all wrong for a number of years. The sanctions hurt badly. But G-mac shouldn't be up against the other schools Head coach. Period. I brought this up a few years ago and was slammed for it. I'm now 62 and I don't have the energy that I did when I was 42. Neither does JB. Plus, he has other things he wants to do. Watch Jamie play for example. I don't blame him one bit for that. But you can't have everything in life.

You are wrong. The defense is the biggest problem. The way we recruit for it. Does anyone else see the center have to go to the corner to cover a 3 point shooter? And have the center actually pulled out of a game because he couldn't get to the corner??? And the lanky forwards that can't shoot? And making sure our lead guard is tall. Whether he is a pt guard or not. We were once a fast running team. We didn't win in the tournament. we lost some close games that in the last few years, we have won. That doesn't mean it is because of the zone. Our recruiting strategy has been all wrong for a number of years. The sanctions hurt badly. But G-mac shouldn't be up against the other schools Head coach. Period. I brought this up a few years ago and was slammed for it. I'm now 62 and I don't have the energy that I did when I was 42. Neither does JB. Plus, he has other things he wants to do. Watch Jamie play for example. I don't blame him one bit for that. But you can't have everything in life.

Dash, if JB doesn’t want to recruit, maybe he should retire? Just sayin’

As I said in another post just how many of JB's other teams would actually have competed in the ACC for conference titles.

Yep, and it’s mediocrity with a style that’s really tough to watch. If only we had a long time assistant who was an amazing recruiter to gracefully take the reigns and inject energy into the program.

But hey, we have Buddy, which is nice.

Come on. Don't take shots at Buddy. He's a kid, even if he is the coach's kid.
In our first two exhibitions, he looked like a new Andy Rautins, making 6 of 12 from three.
Yes, he has a lot of work to do in the gym, but the kid has a great stoke and played at the highest levels as a prep. He was a legit D1 recruit. He will win us games before he's done.

Come on. Don't take shots at Buddy. He's a kid, even if he is the coach's kid.
In our first two exhibitions, he looked like a new Andy Rautins, making 6 of 12 from three.
Yes, he has a lot of work to do in the gym, but the kid has a great stoke and played at the highest levels as a prep. He was a legit D1 recruit. He will win us games before he's done.

Not taking shots at Buddy. Pointing out that he’s the reason Boeheim bailed on the Hopkins plan, and now we’re stuck with the same approach that simply isn’t working for the next 3 years at minimum.

BINGO!

Basically all the ones that competed for the title in the Big East, IMO.

84,86-91, 94, 96, 00, 03, 04, 05, 10, 12.
For sake of arguement let's say your right. (I question some like 04 and 05) That's 14 out of 43. Thats 33%. While by most measurements that is pretty good it's still not in the same league as Duke, UNC and maybe Virginia of "late". And this has been argued many times before, SU dosen't get the recruits ( Micky D's , top 25) that many in the ACC get. Never has. For example how many of times has SU had 2 or 3 of them on the roster in an year. My point is I think expectations are to much for being in the ACC

Last edited:
For sake of arguement let's say your right. (I question some like 04 and 05) That's 14 out of 43. Thats 33%. While by most measurements that is pretty good it's still not in the same league as Duke, UNC and maybe Virginia of "late". And this has been argued many times before, SU dosen't get the recruits ( Micky D's , top 25) that many in the ACC get. Never has. For example how many of times has SU had 2 or 3 of them on the roster in an year. My point is I think expectations are to mucj.

You’re making excuses. Virginia doesn’t recruit McDonalds All Americans and they recruit for league titles. UNC had a couple years not recruiting them and won a Nationals Title will all 4 star recruits.

We should not be .500 every year.

I expect at least 11-13 ACC wins.

Last edited:
For sake of arguement let's say your right. (I question some like 04 and 05) That's 14 out of 43. Thats 33%. While by most measurements that is pretty good it's still not in the same league as Duke, UNC and maybe Virginia of "late". And this has been argued many times before, SU dosen't get the recruits ( Micky D's , top 25) that many in the ACC get. Never has. For example how many of times has SU had 2 or 3 of them on the roster in an year. My point is I think expectations are to much for being in the ACC

So now we’re comparing ourselves to Duke and UNC.

Also can’t really use a 43 year sample size and try to compare it to UVas 5 year sample size of being elite. Also UVA doesn’t recruit the same amount of high school All Americans.

I thought we were like LSU or Michigan in football where this simply would not be to program standard and we’d make necessary adjustments or warm the seat.

I’ve come to snap out of it and realize it’s the coach’s program and not the school’s.

Oh well.

I thought we were like LSU or Michigan in football where this simply would not be to program standard and we’d make necessary adjustments or warm the seat.

I’ve come to snap out of it and realize it’s the coach’s program and not the school’s.

Oh well.

I think that was evident the minute Hopkins was named heir-in-waiting. That's not a program push. And it's more or less parallel to the excruciating decline of a once-great program. I will always love Boeheim, but he's steered this ship into the rocks and the kicker is he hung on just long enough to have all recent memories of this program be the very definition of mediocre.

SU is a brand that gets lots of national games and coverage. But tt's Syracuse, NY, with an old coach, in a system that is always questioned by pro talking heads on TV. The warts are on full display for all recruits at all times. This doesn't even get into the fact that we are at a recruiting disadvantage both in the conference and the region now and, for some reason, our coach that is attached to the USA basketball team AND that still produces NBA players somewhere along the lines decided to run a team like it's the 1960's with at least two offensive no-shows in a lineup at all times in a race-to-the-bottom tempo game. I can't think of another legit program that is ok with a complete lack of talent in the big men on the roster and not getting up shots or running plays.

I considered the “old” ACC as basically being the same as the Big East, but stronger at the very top(UNC and Duke). The expanded Big East starting in 2006 was stronger than the ACC. We won that version of the Big East twice. The current ACC is about the same as that version the BE.

Our 2010 and 2012 teams would win this current ACC in most seasons IMO. Our 2009, 2011, and 2013 would do fine too. 2014 did fine in the ACC.

The problem is us. We should’ve been able to compete for the title at least a couple times and maybe win it once by now, and we should be in the 10-13 win range like we usually were in the Big East. The middling .500 seasons should be the exception.

We didn’t recruit on the same level as Duke and UNC, but we still often had teams with 4-6 future NBA players on them. I honestly don’t think we have 1 right now. Or last year.

JB is a HOF coach, great career but hung on too long.hope it’s not a sad ending for him getting dragged off the court. His in game decisions are not what they used to be such as knowing when to press, adjustments, motivating players,etc. Despite a few miracle tourney runs, it’s been one of the worst stretches of SU hoops in the last 40 years. Certainly, the probation did not help. Like what Louisville did by bringing in a great young coach who can recruit as did Washington. I feel like we are hanging on not building for future.

Next year is going to be worse as most likely Battle, Chukwu and maybe Oshae are gone and we know what’s replacing them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom