5 hours ago... | Syracusefan.com

5 hours ago...

BillSU

All American
Watch out what you wish for. There are the same opinions on Anae that I've heard about Dino.

Babers would like to bring in Anae as Syracuse’s offensive coordinator, and Beck as the Orange quarterbacks coach. Babers did not retain Sterlin Gilbert, his team’s offensive coordinator/quarterback coach after a 5-7 season (2-6 in the ACC).

Both Anae and Beck came to Virginia with Bronco Mendenhall, who unexpectedly resigned days after the Cavaliers dropped their regular-season finale against Virginia Tech. In that game, Anae’s offense had a first-and-goal on its final possession, trailing by five, when he called a highly controversial tackle-eligible pass play that failed miserably.

While Anae directed a record-setting UVA offense this past season, he drew heavy criticism from the fan base for his poor timing and poor choice of “trick plays,” and questionable play-calling, along with game strategy.

Beck, on the other hand, is popular with UVA fans, who have expressed interest in new Cavaliers’ head coach Tony Elliott keeping the quarterback coach on his new staff. Beck, who also left BYU to follow Mendenhall to Charlottesville, has developed three record-breaking quarterbacks at UVA: Kurt Benkert (Green Bay Packers), Bryce Perkins (LA Rams) and present QB Brennan Armstrong, who is crushing the school’s all-time offensive marks.

I'll roll the dice on guys that have produced year after year and be fine with trick plays versus either just giving up or a basic gap run on 3rd and 11

At least it'll be exciting and less predictable than what we have seen for the better part of the last decade since Doug left

Did we even run a trick play this year?
I am reminded of a Buffalo Bills head coach (I cannot remember now if it was Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, or Dick Jauron) who claimed that the team ran lots of trick plays, but we (fans and media) do not recognize that they are trick plays.

Last edited:
We should just drop down to 1-AA at this point
Our coaching staff is going to stink, how dare he run a top 5 offense and then have a semi-bad play call...

psssstttt all fan bases hate the play calling
Of course you know every single play that doesn't work is bad play calling, it has nothing to do with a guy whiffing on a block, or a receiver failing to get off the line of scrimmage quickly or anything like that.

Of course you know every single play that doesn't work is bad play calling, it has nothing to do with a guy whiffing on a block, or a receiver failing to get off the line of scrimmage quickly or anything like that.
Yep hindsight is a beautiful thing
Just saw it in the NFL where two WRs ran into each other on a crossing route where if they didn't one would be open and the QB got sacked guess that was a terrible play call ;)

Watch out what you wish for. There are the same opinions on Anae that I've heard about Dino.

Babers would like to bring in Anae as Syracuse’s offensive coordinator, and Beck as the Orange quarterbacks coach. Babers did not retain Sterlin Gilbert, his team’s offensive coordinator/quarterback coach after a 5-7 season (2-6 in the ACC).

Both Anae and Beck came to Virginia with Bronco Mendenhall, who unexpectedly resigned days after the Cavaliers dropped their regular-season finale against Virginia Tech. In that game, Anae’s offense had a first-and-goal on its final possession, trailing by five, when he called a highly controversial tackle-eligible pass play that failed miserably.

While Anae directed a record-setting UVA offense this past season, he drew heavy criticism from the fan base for his poor timing and poor choice of “trick plays,” and questionable play-calling, along with game strategy.

Beck, on the other hand, is popular with UVA fans, who have expressed interest in new Cavaliers’ head coach Tony Elliott keeping the quarterback coach on his new staff. Beck, who also left BYU to follow Mendenhall to Charlottesville, has developed three record-breaking quarterbacks at UVA: Kurt Benkert (Green Bay Packers), Bryce Perkins (LA Rams) and present QB Brennan Armstrong, who is crushing the school’s all-time offensive marks.
In my opinion Sterlin came from the same school that Belichick comes from when it comes to scheme. The scheme is king, scheme over everything, scheme to the death. And he stuck to it, as people have said, in headscratching scenarios like 3 and 12 or 2 and long. Stick to the scheme till the wheels fall off, no creativity required. And, if the opponent starts to key on your scheme, keep the faith that the scheme works and ride out the storm. Unfortunately, with Sterlin, a) the scheme wasn’t that great to begin with and b) we were a one note football team.

This guy might be a breath of fresh air when it comes to creativity in the playbook. Heck, I’m in.

I could give a flying fig about fan criticism over a single play call. If our offense could have produced @ 60% of UVA's, we're playing in a bowl game - maybe even a warm-weather one.
Consistent results speak to me far louder than any fan forum.

I could give a flying fig about fan criticism over a single play call. If our offense could have produced @ 60% of UVA's, we're playing in a bowl game - maybe even a warm-weather one.
Consistent results speak to me far louder than any fan forum.
Agree. We're not going to find a 100% perfect coach, but I'd be happy with what Virginia did on offense.

If the trick play worked they would be calling him a genius.

Thank God Brominski caught the throwback…

If the trick play worked they would be calling him a genius.

Thank God Brominski caught the throwback…

Agreed, it's all a bit ridiculous. The "play calling" card is so overplayed.

Every coach has controversial play calls and decisions. That’s the nature of football.

I couldn’t be more excited for this coaching upgrade. I think it will be a turning point for the program.