$5 Million Gift to Lally Athletics Complex Honors Floyd Little | Syracusefan.com

$5 Million Gift to Lally Athletics Complex Honors Floyd Little

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

As a member of the Syracuse University band, Howard "Howie" Phanstiel '70, G'71, had an up-close view of the greatness of No. 44 Floyd Little '67, H'16. From his seat on the sidelines, instrument in hand, Phanstiel vividly remembers the speed and determination Little displayed in carrying the football for the Orange. They were contemporaries as students who became friends later in life, bonded by their passion for their alma mater.

Now, Phanstiel and his wife, Louise Phanstiel, are paying tribute to the Syracuse University legend, pledging a $5 million gift to the Forever Orange campaign that will enhance the student-athlete experience in alignment with the vision of the $150 million fundraising initiative recently announced by the Department of Athletics. In recognition of the Phanstiels' generosity, an atrium entryway commonly referred to as the Little Atrium will be named in honor of Little.

As a member of the Syracuse University band, Howard "Howie" Phanstiel '70, G'71, had an up-close view of the greatness of No. 44 Floyd Little '67, H'16. From his seat on the sidelines, instrument in hand, Phanstiel vividly remembers the speed and determination Little displayed in carrying the football for the Orange. They were contemporaries as students who became friends later in life, bonded by their passion for their alma mater.

Now, Phanstiel and his wife, Louise Phanstiel, are paying tribute to the Syracuse University legend, pledging a $5 million gift to the Forever Orange campaign that will enhance the student-athlete experience in alignment with the vision of the $150 million fundraising initiative recently announced by the Department of Athletics. In recognition of the Phanstiels' generosity, an atrium entryway commonly referred to as the Little Atrium will be named in honor of Little.
This is why you need to treat the students in the band well. ;)

They better build the crap out of the atrium to sell recruits. 44 everywhere. Legends everywhere. Memorabilia everywhere. Tradition everywhere. It works. For that pricetag the atrium should be the building representation of the phrase "Be part of the tradition"

wow looks like football will get a modern locker room. It sucks that by the time they get it, it will probably be antiquated.

wow looks like football will get a modern locker room. It sucks that by the time they get it, it will probably be antiquated.

It looks great, but I do fear that the phased approach will lead to things being out of date. We'll get new "state-of-the-art" meeting rooms for the football team and Clemson will be installing a VR arena for film study/playing Call of Duty or something like that.

It looks great, but I do fear that the phased approach will lead to things being out of date. We'll get new "state-of-the-art" meeting rooms for the football team and Clemson will be installing a VR arena for film study/playing Call of Duty or something like that.
hey it is what it is, as long as investment is made

Clemson will probably always be ahead of us, as long as the facilities are competitive/better than BC/Pitt/Rutgers that's fine with me

Last edited:
Clemson will probably always be ahead of us, as long as the facilities are competitive/better than BC/Pitt/Rutgers that's fine with me
Exactly, we'll never win the race. But they can't be so bad that they hurt us.

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's the way these things are portrayed in these walkthrough renderings, but it looks like Syracuse uses the same interior designer for everything. I don't know if this is intentional or not, but honestly all of these renderings look sterile and like the interior of a hospital building

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's the way these things are portrayed in these walkthrough renderings, but it looks like Syracuse uses the same interior designer for everything. I don't know if this is intentional or not, but honestly all of these renderings look sterile and like the interior of a hospital building
We want our players to feel at home. The amount of time they spend injured in hospitals and drs offices is probably more then in the locker room. This makes the transition much easier for them.