#5 to be retired | Syracusefan.com

#5 to be retired

Stevenson

2023 Cali Award Winner Pts Against & Passing Yards
Per mcnabbs twitter

Donovan McNabb@donovanjmcnabb15m
At our Trustees dinner it was announced that SU will be retiring the # 5 on Nov 2. God is good.thx to all teammates and coaches from 94-99.

Are they "retiring" the number, or just hanging a #5 up next to Csonka and Mackey's jerseys?

After all, retiring #44 went over so well.

Donovan McNabb@donovanjmcnabb15m
At our Trustees dinner it was announced that SU will be retiring the # 5 on Nov 2. God is good.thx to all teammates and coaches from 94-99.

Are they "retiring" the number, or just hanging a #5 up next to Csonka and Mackey's jerseys?

After all, retiring #44 went over so well.

I'll guess it's a "jersey" retirement like Mackey's was and 5 will still be seen on the field.

Awesome, awesome, awesome. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there a consensus on McNabb's HOF potential? Seems like any and every HOFer should have their jersey retired.

I hope it's a retirement of McNabb's jersey and not the #5. Only one number should be formally retired in all of sports and that's #42.

I'm all for "retiring" jerseys, or formalizing the fact that a certain player was instrumental in a team's history. I'm even ok with a team formally setting a number aside for special circumstances... like to reward someone for earning the # if they choose to wear it. To formally not allow a player to wear #44, or even #5, is ridiculous.

They should honor Marvin Graves too.
They should honor Marvin Graves too.
As for Graves,absolutely. I don't mind actual jerseys being honored but I don't like numbers bein eliminated from further use. We all know the numbers that that have significance to us all. Some are more recognized than others I always thought that 39 should have been one of those as well as 88. If you have to ask why; its too late. Numbers remind us of the history of the team and program. Its a fact and actual. Everything is satisfactual.

Ugh.

I guess I'm not a fan of retiring jersey numbers.

It's really just a promtional device that works for a day - the effect wears off pretty quickly and the use of the number for recruiting - why not offer it to a top flight dual purpose QB? - is eliminated.

If an announcement comes that Donovan will be making a a large contribution to the IPF - forget what I just said!

Ugh.

It's really just a promtional device that works for a day - the effect wears off pretty quickly and the use of the number for recruiting - why not offer it to a top flight dual purpose QB? - is eliminated.

If an announcement comes that Donovan will be making a a large contribution to the IPF - forget what I just said!

Not sure there will be a formal announcement of his IPF donation, but I'd be shocked if that isn't part of this.

But we should retire the jersey, not the number.

Looks like I'll be attending the Wake game. Best SU player in my 22 years of being an SU fan.

I don't get how Marcus Sales can have his jersey retired but not get drafted. smh

Jersey retirements remind me of the GRob era...

It seemed like we were honoring or retiring or naming something during halftime of every game during his tenure.

And all 300 people in attendance would be there to honor the recipient.

Jersey retirements remind me of the GRob era...

It seemed like we were honoring or retiring or naming something during halftime of every game during his tenure.

And all 300 people in attendance would be there to honor the recipient.

Gross certainly came out of the box as an aggressive jersey retirer. 2005 was heavy on halftime celebrations, short on wins.

Ugh.

For us it's a promotional device - for McNabb it's meaningful.

Will Kaiser be hung from the rafters at the same time?

And Billy Hurley.
Bill had something! Retiring numbers is idiotic (though a good case can be made for 44), but retiring a jersey and still having it active on the roster is fine.

It's amazing how when the University doesn't try to promote the spring game everyone gets upset and complains and then when they try to promote the football program by retiring one of the greats' jerseys everyone gets upset and complains. It's a no win situation with some fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom