50 years ago yesterday we had an ‘Emergency’ | Syracusefan.com

50 years ago yesterday we had an ‘Emergency’

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
50 years ago yesterday, Emergency! premiered. It was a joint production of Mark VII Limited in association with Universal Television for NBC. It debuted as a midseason replacement on January 15, 1972, on NBC, replacing the two short-lived series The Partners and The Good Life, and ran until May 28, 1977, with six additional two-hour television films during the following two years.

Emergency! was created and produced by Jack Webb and Robert A. Cinader, both of whom were also responsible for the police dramas Adam-12 and Dragnet. Harold Jack Bloom is also credited as a creator; Webb does not receive screen credit as a creator in the show's original TV-movie pilot, being only credited as its director.

The series starred Randolph Mantooth and Kevin Tighe as two specially-trained firefighters who formed Squad 51, part of a then-innovative field known as paramedics who were authorized to provide initial emergency medical care to victims of accidents, fire and other incidents in the field. The plot of the initial pilot film described the passing of state legislation, signed by Governor Ronald Reagan, and was called the The Wedsworth-Townsend Act. It allowed the creation of paramedic units. Squad 51 worked in concert with the (fictional) Rampart General Hospital medical staff (portrayed by Robert Fuller, Julie London, and Bobby Troup), who took over each patient's case from the paramedics who worked in the field.

Nearly 30 years after Emergency! debuted, the Smithsonian Institution accepted Emergency! memorabilia into its National History Museum, public-service section, including their helmets, turnouts, biophone, and defibrillator.

The exterior scenes of Station 51 were filmed at Station 127 in Carson, CA.

Rampart was actually UCLA Harbor General.

Loved that show. I think 13-year-old me had a Mrs. Robinson crush on Julie London, who played Nurse Dixie McCall. I knew Julie was married to co-star Bobby Troup, but never realized that she was previously married to producer of the show Jack Webb, from one of my top five all-time shows, Dragnet.

47fb7e13094c55f7442f3a7592cd4e7d.jpg

Loved that show. I think 13-year-old me had a Mrs. Robinson crush on Julie London, who played Nurse Dixie McCall. I knew Julie was married to co-star Bobby Troup, but never realized that she was previously married to producer of the show Jack Webb, from one of my top five all-time shows, Dragnet.

47fb7e13094c55f7442f3a7592cd4e7d.jpg
You weren’t the only one

Another favorite episode was where the guy was completely covered in plaster.

Loved that giant suitcase phone they carried around (technically still a flip-phone).

A relative of mine became a firefighter because of that show.

Another favorite episode was where the guy was completely covered in plaster.

Loved that giant suitcase phone they carried around (technically still a flip-phone).

A relative of mine became a firefighter because of that show.

Don't remember the guy, but the sculptor was Sharon Gless.

I loved this show also! It was a bit before my time, but I watched the reruns growing up and remember I had some toys also. It used to be on Hulu and NBC.com but doesn't appear to available anymore.

I loved this show also! It was a bit before my time, but I watched the reruns growing up and remember I had some toys also. It used to be on Hulu and NBC.com but doesn't appear to available anymore.

It's on Cozi TV for 2 hours every day at 8 AM.

Sandwiched between Murder, She Wrote and Quincy ME reruns.

What is this "pop top" of which you speak?

;)

I blew out my flip-flop
Stepped on a pop top
Cut my heel had to cruise on back home
But there’s booze in the blender
And soon it will render
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on

Every since Jimmy Buffet appeared on Blue Bloods Friday night, his song lyrics keep showing up everywhere.

1f99c.png

EMERGENCY! 51 CELEBRATES 50 YEARS
SATURDAY NIGHT WITH RANDY MANTOOTH & KEVIN TIGHE

At the Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts​

A limited number of tickets have become available for the Q&A at the Cerritos Center for Performing Arts
Saturday, August 20 at 7:30 PM
The tickets will go on sale Friday, August 5 at 12 noon Pacific time

FIND THE LINK RIGHT HERE AT NOON FRIDAY THE 5TH
to purchase tickets

i have a DVR setting recording these right now.. have about 50 episodes to breeze through again.

Yeah, but did anyone of you have the Emergency! Board game like I did?

On a side note, I love the use of the exclamation point. It laid the foundation for others to use it in a similar way like Wham! and Jeb!

On a side note, I love the use of the exclamation point. It laid the foundation for others to use it in a similar way like Wham! and Jeb!

Without it, it comes across as:

Emergency.

Meh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors