Class of 2017 - 6 from Florida | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 6 from Florida

As of now 22 spots open but id guess we're going for 25-27 with some jan enrollees, which means some more roster attrition.
I don't think there will be that much attrition. I think these coaches will continue to add depth with pwos.

I don't think there will be that much attrition. I think these coaches will continue to add depth with pwos.

I know 25-27 is a stretch but i can name 3/4 kids who might not be here next year.

I know 25-27 is a stretch but i can name 3/4 kids who might not be here next year.
Totally agree; and that might be only from the wide receiver corp...

Fagan is the only Jan enrollee that I know of so far.

Might be a JUCO or two.

Agree 100%. And I'd expect that 2-3 might retroactively count against last year's numbers. Plus, there is bound to be unexpected attrition [a player or two leaving, a recruit or two who doesn't qualify, etc.].

We are recruiting way, way too many JUCO's to only be taking 21 and we haven't even discussed grad transfers.

I would expect the max possible. There will be attrition.

how many did we bring in last year? you cant go past 25 in any single year. we had 2-3 last year go against the prev yr so how many did we end up with last year that counted as 2016 kids? we had a couple not make it correct?

how many did we bring in last year? you cant go past 25 in any single year. we had 2-3 last year go against the prev yr so how many did we end up with last year that counted as 2016 kids? we had a couple not make it correct?

We took 21 kids in 2016. For the time being, let's count them all towards 2016.

If you figure in Mahoney's scholarship, that's 22.

That's 3 January 2017 enrollees who could potentially be backdated to 2016.

If we need to free up even more room, we can move Rex from 2016 and backdate him to 2015 (we took 24 kids in 2015).

That's 28-29 we could possibly squeeze into this recruiting class (assuming that 3-4 can enroll in Jan 2017).

However, we currently have room for only 21 (by my count), and Dino has said the number was 22.

There would have to be movement with 4th year kids graduating, or kids transferring out to get there.

We took 21 kids in 2016. For the time being, let's count them all towards 2016.

If you figure in Mahoney's scholarship, that's 22.

That's 3 January 2017 enrollees who could potentially be backdated to 2016.

If we need to free up even more room, we can move Rex from 2016 and backdate him to 2015 (we took 24 kids in 2015).

That's 28-29 we could possibly squeeze into this recruiting class (assuming that 3-4 can enroll in Jan 2017).

However, we currently have room for only 21 (by my count), and Dino has said the number was 22.

There would have to be movement with 4th year kids graduating, or kids transferring out to get there.
Potential kids graduating and moving on are: Wilson, Avant, Burton, Perry, Scissum. Look for 25-28 new players for 2017.

Would love to finish the class w a few of these players:
Tyran Hunt OT VA
Jordan Wright DE FL
Brian Edwards S FL
Ravian Pierce TE FL (JC)
JJ Holmes DT FL (JC)
Brandon Berry DE GA (JC)
Gary Johnson MLB AL (JC)
Marquise Blair S OH (JC)

Last edited:
Potential kids graduating and moving on are: Wilson, Avant, Burton, Perry, Scissum. Look for 25-28 new players for 2017.

Tyran Hunt OT VA
Jordan Wright DE FL
Brian Edwards S FL
Ravian Pierce TE FL (JC)
JJ Holmes DT FL (JC)
Brandon Berry DE GA (JC)
Gary Johnson MLB AL (JC)
Marquise Blair S OH (JC)

This list is perfect. I'd love to grab any 4 or so out of here. Specifically Hunt, Wright, Pierce & Blair would be a great group as I'm imagining that Johnson won't be realistic for us.

Tyran Hunt OT VA
Jordan Wright DE FL
Brian Edwards S FL
Ravian Pierce TE FL (JC)
JJ Holmes DT FL (JC)
Brandon Berry DE GA (JC)
Gary Johnson MLB AL (JC)
Marquise Blair S OH (JC)
Does anyone have any inside info on Blair? What is the deal? Has the new staff reached out to him, does he still like Syracuse? Would love to see him finally get in the Dome. Such great size and speed.

Does anyone have any inside info on Blair? What is the deal? Has the new staff reached out to him, does he still like Syracuse? Would love to see him finally get in the Dome. Such great size and speed.

Second hand info: he is in contact with the new staff, and they love him. The relationship he formed with SU originally has made him still want to go there, which is great. It all comes down to whether he can graduate or not, which is no sure thing.

Tyran Hunt OT VA
Jordan Wright DE FL
Brian Edwards S FL
Ravian Pierce TE FL (JC)
JJ Holmes DT FL (JC)
Brandon Berry DE GA (JC)
Gary Johnson MLB AL (JC)
Marquise Blair S OH (JC)

I mean, that would be an incredible finish. This would literally be a top 30-ish class.

We'd get tremendous boosts at S, and OT, and a nice developmental prospect at DE from the HS ranks. And then we'd tack on immediate help at TE and DE ... and the DT depth would also improve. AND the LB corps would get an immense infusion of talent.

Lots of JUCOs in that list, but that would be a dream close.

I mean, that would be an incredible finish. This would literally be a top 30-ish class.

We'd get tremendous boosts at S, and OT, and a nice developmental prospect at DE from the HS ranks. And then we'd tack on immediate help at TE and DE ... and the DT depth would also improve. AND the LB corps would get an immense infusion of talent.

All of this.

I know Dino prefers HS kids, but - we need an infusion of talent, that can play on Day One.
A few solid JUCO's at positions of need is probably an excellent idea - for now.
We can promise all of these guys a legit chance for early PT.

Add to that Jalen Hurd, the transfer from Tennessee. Would be ideal as an AET replacement!!! IMO HCDB wants to turn over the roster as quickly as possible. Targeting top JC talent and grad transfers is a quick fix to rebuild the 2 deep. Prefer this strategy to developmental projects and last minute jucos. By the way, top 40 class needs to be the norm if we ever hope to compete with FSU CLEMSON and UL in our division.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom