70th Anniversary of the Today Show | Syracusefan.com

70th Anniversary of the Today Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
Today just did an hour-long tribute to the show, which can be watched on this page:

They said at 10AM they will have streaming video of the first ever Today Show, from 1/14/52.

They had hellos from Jane Pauley, Tom Brokaw and Katire Couric. I didn't see anything from Barbara Walters, who hasn't appeared publicly since 2016. She's 92 so I wonder about her health.

Their first weather report, with the latest technology:

The 35th anniversary special in 1987:

Today just did an hour-long tribute to the show, which can be watched on this page:

They said at 10AM they will have streaming video of the first ever Today Show, from 1/14/52.

They had hellos from Jane Pauley, Tom Brokaw and Katire Couric. I didn't see anything from Barbara Walters, who hasn't appeared publicly since 2016. She's 92 so I wonder about her health.
I’ve heard Barbara Walters has dementia which is getting gradually worse so I doubt we will see her on air again.

Here's the original opening:

Hard to believe that amateur production was considered state of the art back then.

That board that featured a few photos and a front page of a newspaper? Wow.

The microphones attached to stands attached to the hips of the on air talent? Wow.

The blackboard for weather, with the weatherman calling the weather service on the phone to get a forecast? Wow.

We have come a long way. A very long way.

I’ve heard Barbara Walters has dementia which is getting gradually worse so I doubt we will see her on air again.
I have read the same. Once she retired, she basically disappeared.

Hard to believe that amateur production was considered state of the art back then.

That board that featured a few photos and a front page of a newspaper? Wow.

The microphones attached to stands attached to the hips of the on air talent? Wow.

The blackboard for weather, with the weatherman calling the weather service on the phone to get a forecast? Wow.

We have come a long way. A very long way.

The 35-year anniversary show has a discussion of microphones used over the years by Hugh Downs, including Garroway's contraption, which he seems to be wearing so he can grip a cigarette while pointing at something.

I have read the same. Once she retired, she basically disappeared.

When they've worked that long, retirement is usually due to a health issue. they aren't looking to relax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom