75 points | Syracusefan.com

75 points

moqui

generational talent
as best as I can tell, James' 75 points in three games is the best 3 game run since Jonny Flynn put up 77 late in 2009 (Flynn also had a 79 point run earlier that season).

I don't think it will happen tonight, but out of curiousity I looked it up and found that the last SU player to score 30+ in back to back games was Hakim Warrick in 2005.

as best as I can tell, James' 75 points in three games is the best 3 game run since Jonny Flynn put up 77 late in 2009 (Flynn also had a 79 point run earlier that season).

I don't think it will happen tonight, but out of curiousity I looked it up and found that the last SU player to score 30+ in back to back games was Hakim Warrick in 2005.

You've been dead on regarding JS for some time. I was in complete agreement with your projections for Rak (I hope we're right) but didn't see the as big a jump for JS as he's made.

James is a great lesson for many people out there that area already ripping on Cooney or don't see the improvements sure to be made for Rak/Coleman.

I think Cooney is destined to become a fan favorite - he has the Mike Hopkins floor-burn mentality. And that is if he never regains his shooting touch. If he adds 40% deep shooting to the arsenal, he will be huge.

Does that include the 6OT game? Because if so, I believe Flynn played around 67 minutes in that game, JS is lucky to get 67 min in 2 games at this point in the season

I think Cooney is destined to become a fan favorite - he has the Mike Hopkins floor-burn mentality. And that is if he never regains his shooting touch. If he adds 40% deep shooting to the arsenal, he will be huge.
And that's the thing, he is too good a shooter not to start knocking them down. So combine GMac with Hop, only more athletic, and you've got one of the most popular players in recent SU history.

And I know he'll get his shots falling. Gerry says he's the best shooter he's been around, you have to imagine that means he's pretty freaking good.

Does that include the 6OT game? Because if so, I believe Flynn played around 67 minutes in that game, JS is lucky to get 67 min in 2 games at this point in the season
good point,and yes, it does include the 6 OT game . . . but Jonny also had a 79 point sequence early in that season (losing 2 of the 3 in fast paced games where SU gave up over 100 pts)

And that's the thing, he is too good a shooter not to start knocking them down. So combine GMac with Hop, only more athletic, and you've got one of the most popular players in recent SU history.

And I know he'll get his shots falling. Gerry says he's the best shooter he's been around, you have to imagine that means he's pretty freaking good.
Is Cooney more athletic than Hop?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

yikes . . . let's hope he ends up being a better shooter than Mr. Volume.

Q: what do you get when you cross a burner with a gunner?
A: a bummer
(I keed, I keed)

good point,and yes, it does include the 6 OT game . . . but Jonny also had a 79 point sequence early in that season (losing 2 of the 3 in fast paced games where SU gave up over 100 pts)
I loved Flynn, but JS's streak is way more impressive to me. He's shooting at an amazing percentage, he doesn't play 35+ mpg, and he doesn't constantly have the ball in his hands.

Also, Dirty would not have had this streak last year (based on the players around him)

That is an interesting stat - best 3 games in a row. I went back and checked for the last decade and it was a bit of a surprise for me.

1. Hakim Warrick, March 2005 - 96
2. Demetris Nichols, December 2006 - 87
3. Carmelo Anthony, February 2003 - 84

It is unlikely James could beat out Warrick, but if he has a big game tonight, he could move past Carmelo.

I'm too young to really remember, but did Hop ever do this?

No, but Hop was athletic enough to run the prettiest 3 man weave I've ever seen.

By himself.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'm too young to really remember, but did Hop ever do this?

Hop was leading scorer on the team only twice. GMac is in 4th place over the last decade with 82 pts over 3 games in March 2004

Hop was leading scorer on the team only twice. GMac is in 4th place over the last decade with 82 pts over 3 games in March 2004
Yeah, I definitely was not talking about scoring ability.

The whole thing about Cooney being a more athletic Gmac, Andy, and Hop is bothering me a little bit. He jumps higher then all of those guys but does that make him a better athlete? He jumps higher than Scoop is he a better athlete? He is not faster or quicker than Gmac or Andy (not sure about Hop) he fumbled the ball going to the hole against Arkansas because he was concerned about getting caught from behind ( I believe) and that is the concern. Gmac or Andy would have finished that play without concern for the defensive. Speed and quickness are the most important attributes from a basketball player. Devo and Scoop used their quickness to get where they wanted to go neither had what we would call "hops" Cooney has more "hops" than both of them. Even his shoot is nowhere near as fast as Gmac or Andy's he starts it a little low the release is high but motion is long. I think people under valuing Gmac's and Andy's games. I hope the kid shoots lights out but with the guys we have coming in he is going to fight for PT in the future. ( I hope I'm wrong)

I disagree that he's not as quick as Andy. His hands, at this point, are not as quick as Andy's, but Andy's feet never struck me as being especially quick. Plus, Cooney is bigger and stronger, which has to be factored in when talking about athleticism. Yes, strength plays a role. Maybe it's not as important as quickness, agility, and coordination, but it still plays a role. And Andy, as much as I love him, was never a great athlete. I don't necessarily think that Cooney is a great athlete, but he's definitely a good athlete. I think Andy was more or less an average athlete, overall.

The whole thing about Cooney being a more athletic Gmac, Andy, and Hop is bothering me a little bit. He jumps higher then all of those guys but does that make him a better athlete? He jumps higher than Scoop is he a better athlete? He is not faster or quicker than Gmac or Andy (not sure about Hop) he fumbled the ball going to the hole against Arkansas because he was concerned about getting caught from behind ( I believe) and that is the concern. Gmac or Andy would have finished that play without concern for the defensive. Speed and quickness are the most important attributes from a basketball player. Devo and Scoop used their quickness to get where they wanted to go neither had what we would call "hops" Cooney has more "hops" than both of them. Even his shoot is nowhere near as fast as Gmac or Andy's he starts it a little low the release is high but motion is long. I think people under valuing Gmac's and Andy's games. I hope the kid shoots lights out but with the guys we have coming in he is going to fight for PT in the future. ( I hope I'm wrong)
I had an e-mail exchange with Rob Harrington from PrepStars when Cooney first committed. Rob didn't think Cooney had the athleticism to compete at the high D1 level - said it shouldn't hurt him on defense as he was big & active enough to be solid in the zone, but that he would find it difficult to get his shot off against the better athletes he would face in the Big East (and now the ACC). Consequently, I had relatively low expectations for Cooney.

I have been turned around, though, by his competitiveness. He might never be a star, but he is going to be a rotation player for four years.

I had an e-mail exchange with Rob Harrington from PrepStars when Cooney first committed. Rob didn't think Cooney had the athleticism to compete at the high D1 level - said it shouldn't hurt him on defense as he was big & active enough to be solid in the zone, but that he would find it difficult to get his shot off against the better athletes he would face in the Big East (and now the ACC). Consequently, I had relatively low expectations for Cooney.

I have been turned around, though, by his competitiveness. He might never be a star, but he is going to be a rotation player for four years.

I agree but I think people are throwing Gmac and Andy's name around a little to quickly and those are lofty goals Cooney let's hope he reaches them.

I disagree that he's not as quick as Andy. His hands, at this point, are not as quick as Andy's, but Andy's feet never struck me as being especially quick. Plus, Cooney is bigger and stronger, which has to be factored in when talking about athleticism. Yes, strength plays a role. Maybe it's not as important as quickness, agility, and coordination, but it still plays a role. And Andy, as much as I love him, was never a great athlete. I don't necessarily think that Cooney is a great athlete, but he's definitely a good athlete. I think Andy was more or less an average athlete, overall.

In football yes! The most important thing in basketball is being able to run. Strength is great if you are fast. If you are not fast you better be tall!

That is an interesting stat - best 3 games in a row. I went back and checked for the last decade and it was a bit of a surprise for me.

1. Hakim Warrick, March 2005 - 96
2. Demetris Nichols, December 2006 - 87
3. Carmelo Anthony, February 2003 - 84

It is unlikely James could beat out Warrick, but if he has a big game tonight, he could move past Carmelo.

if Dirty puts up a big number tonight, then all three of them would be in his sights on Thursday

Meh, so was Demetris Nichols. And South. And, as some will tell you, Mr. Carter-Williams.

These things take time; Cooney may not hit a lot of shots this year. Or maybe he will. Either way, his style of play is going to earn him court time this month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom