8-3 in ACC | Syracusefan.com

8-3 in ACC

As Kirbivore noted, the reason is we really haven't beaten anyone sans Duke or an average Ohio State team. Factor that in with the some brutal losses (none really that close), mostly anemic offensive sets, and players noticeably the same or worse than last year, and you have the negative slant towards the team. Most fans at this point in the season are probably taking a 'proof is in the pudding stance', and not a faith based rationale that we can play with the big dogs. Hope is there, though, that we can turn things on when we need too! And hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things... especially for this forum, lol.

Probably b/c other than Duke the other seven wins are against not good teams, but you can only play who's in front of you. Guantlet starts Wednesday
you know that weird uncomfortable face that coach k makes in a close game where he looks like he's either going to get sick on the court or the first row of spectators? That's me for the home stretch here

Probably b/c other than Duke the other seven wins are against not good teams, but you can only play who's in front of you. Guantlet starts Wednesday
Ohio state is in the KenPom top 35. That’s higher than NC State. Also, the Clemson win is looking better and better. They’re also a top 35 KenPom team. I don’t know how you can say teams like this aren’t “good.” No, they’re not elite top 10 teams but they’re certainly good. Ranked higher than every single team in the Pac12.

8-3 is a strong start and better than where I thought we'd be after the GT debacle. What worries me is we've been battered in every game where the opponent plays aggressive pressure defense. When we beat a team like that, I will be very happy.

The gauntlet actually starts Saturday. NC State is our level, if not a tick below honestly. Road game flips it a little bit, but it should be a winnable game.
Note that NCSU's season is essentially on the line Wednesday. Home turf. A nearly automatic L staring at them on Saturday @Duke. If they go 0-2 this week, they'll drop to 5-8 in the ACC. Wednesday's tilt is their last "higher profile" home game of the season. Honestly, they need this game more than us.

The setup smells a lot like the game in Blacksburg a few weeks back.
Paging Dominant Tyus. Please report to Raleigh, North Carolina immediately, ... Dominant Tyus.

Note that NCSU's season is essentially on the line Wednesday. Home turf. A nearly automatic L staring at them on Saturday @Duke. If they go 0-2 this week, they'll drop to 5-8 in the ACC. Wednesday's tilt is their last "higher profile" home game of the season. Honestly, they need this game more than us.

Paging Dominant Tyus. Please report to Raleigh, North Carolina immediately, ... Dominant Tyus.

I think the rank and file of the ACC us included can lose more games than people think and not have to sweat a bid. We just don't want to play with fire and be going through the same ing bullshit for a 4th straight year. They could go 6-12 in the ACC and get in because they didn't stub their toe OOC.

Ohio state is in the KenPom top 35. That’s higher than NC State. Also, the Clemson win is looking better and better. They’re also a top 35 KenPom team. I don’t know how you can say teams like this aren’t “good.” No, they’re not elite top 10 teams but they’re certainly good. Ranked higher than every single team in the Pac12.

When you start to tout a Clemson win as something to hang your hat on that should tell you that you're not that good.

you know that weird uncomfortable face that coach k makes in a close game where he looks like he's either going to get sick on the court or the first row of spectators? That's me for the home stretch here
i know why the remaining sched can look daunting, but personally, i don't have to squint to see a path to 12 wins.

hell, i'd be more surprised to see us end at 10 wins than at 13

I think the rank and file of the ACC us included can lose more games than people think and not have to sweat a bid. We just don't want to play with fire and be going through the same bullshit for a 4th straight year. They could go 6-12 in the ACC and get in because they didn't stub their toe OOC.
You bring up a 100% valid point (their 13-1 non-conference record). That said and acknowledged, I don't see NCSU at 6-12 ACC getting in the NCAA Tourney. I could be wrong, but their non-conference slate was borderline pathetic. Most teams they beat are about 10 games under .500. Solid win over Auburn. Tough/close loss to Wisconsin. Otherwise, it was mush. I've been wrong before ...

You bring up a 100% valid point (their 13-1 non-conference record). That said and acknowledged, I don't see NCSU at 6-12 ACC getting in the NCAA Tourney. I could be wrong, but their non-conference slate was borderline pathetic. Most teams they beat are about 10 games under .500. Solid win over Auburn. Tough/close loss to Wisconsin. Otherwise, it was mush. I've been wrong before ...

Yeah I highly doubt that any team with a conference record like that would get an at-large bid. In fact, I'm having trouble coming up with a team that got an at-large bid with a conference record worse than two games under .500.

Another reason to be hopeful is that most of our "bad" losses happened with an injury riddled team, or one that hadn't yet fully recovered from those injuries.

I don't think anyone here has a clue to what kind of team we have.

We have horrible losses, a great win, have beaten a lot of mediocre teams and then got destroyed by the two teams (outside Duke) that are perceived to be better than us.

Factor in the ridiculous fact that we're seemingly always on the bubble, coupled with losing Stewart to Hop and it's pretty easy to see why there's negativity.

Can anyone here tell me what team is going to show up against the Wolfpack?... because I have no idea.

The interesting aspect of what’s ahead is our tendency to play at the level of competition. It’s uncanny. There will probably be a surprise mixed in there
I agree. I could see SU losing to WF but beating UNC. You never know what team will show up this season.

NC State has lost 3 of their last 4, 7 of their last 10.

They haven't won 2 games in a row since January 3rd.

They have some talent but this is a program that is struggling.

When you start to tout a Clemson win as something to hang your hat on that should tell you that you're not that good.
Let’s try to deal in facts here, two3, not mindless snark based on your perceptions of teams. Clemson has had the most difficult conference schedule up to this point, which is partly what accounted for their early ACC struggles. They’re now playing well and ahead of us in both Kenpom and BPI (30 and 32) and right behind a supposedly top 10 Marquette team (per the laughable AP poll). Also 10 spots higher than first place PAC 12 team Washington in both. But yea, feel free to continue on with your empty snark. That’s a good win for us.[/QUOTE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom