8 games in -- What do we know? | Syracusefan.com

8 games in -- What do we know?

billsin01

All American
So who's ready for another rambling post from me pretending I'm a basketball expert despite getting cut from my high school team as a sophomore?!?!?! Don't all answer at once. Anyway, thought it might be interesting to just take a little stock individually (since we all know the aggregate sum of what's gone on suggests this team is at least good, perhaps very good. Time will tell).

Anyway, here's my player-by-player breakdown of what we know, and what we are still waiting on at this point.

Dajuan Coleman
What we know:
He's logged more minutes against good competition this year than he did at any point in the second half last year. That's a good thing and speaks to some improvements in conditioning and confidence. He is easily our most (potentially) productive post player. He has one double-double to his credit (in just 19 mins) and another 14 pt/9 reb outing to his credit. Keita struggles to even dream of those numbers and Rak has moments but generally struggles to come close as well. DC is also, unfortunately, the most inconsistent of the bigs, putting up essentially no statistics (4 pts., 5 rebs combined in the past three games) for long stretches. He also remains a 'work in progress' (in quotes b/c I think that's being generous) defensively.

What we don't know:
Can DC get to a point this season (I think he will next year) where we can consistently get him four or five touches in the post and get points or FTs on most of those possessions? I can't imagine teams will be doubling or even really sliding to him in the post very often with Cooney and Ennis outside and Grant and Fair roaming the floor. For me this is one of the biggest questions for this group b/c the occasional productive post feed would add another dimension offensively.

Bottom line: Improvement but no 'leap' from DC ... yet. Needs to relax when he gets the ball, something that tends to come with experience and a longer leash. Needs to improve his conditioning and quickness so he can handle the FT line and the baseline in the same defensive possession. He's not close to being able to do this right now.

Rak
What we know:
He's been a bit more active or at least a little more consistent (anecdotally of course) with his effort this season. HE's also essentially the same Rak. Never seen a guy with his combination of size and athletic gifts get stuck under the backboard or in inopportune spots more often. Desperately needs to develop more feel for getting himself into good spots and taking good aggressive angles to the hoop. Which leads us to ...

What we know: This development is unlikely. I like Rak -- seems like a good enough kid and obviously works hard physically to keep himself in that shape. I'm just not convinced he'll be more than a defensive presence at the 5 with decent rebounding and shot-blocking. That's OK, and he's a contributor.

Bottom line: Rak is what he is and I don't really see that changing. I could be wrong. It's certainly happened before and I'd love for it to happen again here.

Baye Keita
What we know:
Still the best communicator and defender of the group. Has worse hands than I do.

What we don't: Umm, nothing. We know Keita at this point.

Bottom line: My money is still on Keita to get the minutes that matter the most. Struggling a little now and simply cannot catch the ball cleanly but I'd be surprised if he's not the go-to guy when we get to Jan/Feb.

Jeremi Grant
What we know:
We love to overrate guys but Grant's abilities are tough to overrate. Hasn't made many jumpers and has an ugly looking shot, but the dude can truly play at this level and beyond. He can make mid-range jumpers with that form and even when he isn't he's a factor every team has to account for b/c he's simply dynamic. Shown more off the bounce this year as well. Got off to a weird start to the season with the suspension and some defensive lapses, but he got better every game in Maui.

What we don't: Just how good can he be? Has taken just 3 threes and has yet to make one, but he was 6 of 15 last year in limited time so it's not like he can't shoot from there. If he's back next year, this will be a question for him. But as for this year, I still think there's a chance he becomes the go-to guy, which allows CJ to do a ton of damage as an extremely dangerous secondary option. If we get to this point, it's a very, very good thing.

Bottom line: Kid is fun to watch and still seems to be scratching the surface (or close to the surface) of his game. Even if he doesn't become the go-to guy we all envision, he can still have a huge year and a major impact if he is simply more consistent, especially defensively.

CJ Fair
What we know:
One of the most consistent players I can ever remember wearing Orange. Hasn't quite knocked down the 3 at the same rate this year but the release is noticeably quicker and, if he has the type of running mates he's had the past few games (Cooney and Grant with Ennis adding more each game), he's a really dangerous player. If we're stuck with CJ and lots of inconsistency around him, we're in trouble.

What we don't: Can he consistently knock down the three. He needs that as the go-to guy and it hasn't quite been there yet. Can he find ways to score against quicker defenders -- needs to be able to play a bit with his back to the basket. Probably the biggest 'if' for his game right now.

Bottom line: Love the guy and think -- regardless of what Grant/McCullough/Roberson bring -- he will be missed dearly next season. Enjoy him while we have him.

Michael Gbinije
What we know:
I can't spell or pronounce his name and he doesn't do enough for it to be called enough for it to stick in my memory. I'm perplexed with him b/c I like his skill. I don't even really think his handle is as bad as it's looked at times (yes, I realize that statement makes no sense). Not aggressive enough on either end to maximize his abilities.

What we don't: Can he be more aggressive and attack offensively while disrupting defensively. At this point he has a niche as the third guard but with Cooney and Ennis playing well, that PT will dwindle as the season progresses.

Bottom line: Needs to prove he can do at least one thing well to keep logging minutes. My guess is that it's defensively where he at least gives us a different look. Hope that happens because our bench is short enough as it is.

Trevor Cooney
What we know:
It turns out he really can shoot. Also has a passable handle, good athleticism and and good anticipation defensively. Overall thrilled with his game thus far even if the 47% from three is unsustainable.

What we don't know: Can Cooney contribute inside the 3-point line? He seems to have this ability and I don't think we'll see much of it b/c his hanging around outside is a huge factor in spreading defenses and letting Grant/Fair go to work. But it's an interesting thing to watch b/c with his athleticism and quick release a few pump fakes could make him an even more complete player.

Bottom line: Great use of a redshirt by JB and he's developed enough to contribute even when he inevitably hits a bit of a shooting slump at some point. Only downside is that he's not super long or super quick at the top which leaves us more vulnerable up there than we've been in a long time.

Tyler Ennis
What we know:
He's been far better than anyone has the right to expect as a frosh. So composed and creative that I don't even think his impressive stats (12 ppg, 5 apg, 40% from 3) tell the story of what he's given to this club. A bit of a liability defensively but I'd imagine that will improve with more time in the zone. Just a really good all-around player regardless of class, which is a high praise for a freshman.

What we don't: He's going to log a TON of minutes and you'd have to think there's a wall at some point. How much he has left late in the year is something of a concern, albeit a relatively minor one in the grand scheme of things.

Roberson/Patterson/Johnson
What we know:
Talented and promising.

What we don't: When we'll ever see them again.

Bottom line: Hopefully we see some good minutes in the next couple weeks, but ultimately these guys are prepping for 2014/2015.

Pretty good take, but I think you have Roc all wrong. He has become a formidable interior presence providing all the things that don't show up in the box score. I believe he has pretty decisively passed BMK as the best defender in the middle of the zone, and is also adequate in the minutes he plays on the wing.

Pretty good take, but I think you have Roc all wrong. He has become a formidable interior presence providing all the things that don't show up in the box score. I believe he has pretty decisively passed BMK as the best defender in the middle of the zone, and is also adequate in the minutes he plays on the wing.

Rak was a force defensively early on. Didn't get a ton of blocks (although one was nasty), but he altered a crazy amount of shots and had a monster rebound where he grabbed the ball over a player with one hand.

Completely agree with you.

I know I'm the lone man in the wilderness on this one, but I also believe that he could score more if given the opportunity.

I know I'm the lone man in the wilderness on this one, but I also believe that he could score more if given the opportunity.
I agree, but this team is filled with scorers so it's not a point of emphasis.
Rak was a force defensively early on. Didn't get a ton of blocks (although one was nasty), but he altered a crazy amount of shots and had a monster rebound where he grabbed the ball over a player with one hand.

Completely agree with you.
even when he's not getting blocks,it seems his physicality is causing opponents to set up and take shots away from their preferred spots.

I really wish our centers would learn to aggressively hit the offensive glass given their athleticism and size. Think of how many put backs they could get if they actually had that ability.

Last edited:
This should be a Syracusefan insider article

Trueblue25 said:
This should be a Syracusefan insider article

Then you wouldn't be able to read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Christmas is really close to becoming really good. But his hands are very poor. That's holding him back - and unfortunately will hold him back for the duration of his career.

Can Coleman dunk? Would love to see him set himself, power up and flush one in the face of a defender instead of trying to lay it off the glass.

Gbinije had a nice drive to the hoop last night - hope to see that more. I think when he gets comfortable playing at the D1 level and shakes off the rust he could be an X-factor.

Grant had a rough night overall but still made some key plays.

Most importantly, this team knows how to win. And with Ennis leading the way, I trust this team on offense more than any since the GMac era. Maybe even further back.

Christmas is really close to becoming really good. But his hands are very poor. That's holding him back - and unfortunately will hold him back for the duration of his career.

Can Coleman dunk? Would love to see him set himself, power up and flush one in the face of a defender instead of trying to lay it off the glass.

Gbinije had a nice drive to the hoop last night - hope to see that more. I think when he gets comfortable playing at the D1 level and shakes off the rust he could be an X-factor.

Grant had a rough night overall but still made some key plays.

Most importantly, this team knows how to win. And with Ennis leading the way, I trust this team on offense more than any since the GMac era. Maybe even further back.

If Rak has poor hands, Keita has hooves.

He can dunk, but he's undersized and it's not his game. How often does Zach Randolph dunk? Preseason I said our guards would have more dunks than him this year.

I made a post about G being the X factor last night, glad you agree.

Grant is longest since Warrick.

Ennis gets it done.

Fixed.

Edit: For the OP, why do you feel 47% is not sustainable? There are guys over 60%

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/143

Notice Cooney is #44. ; )

I hope it is sustainable but the odds are that it's not. Going back to 01-02 we've had three people shoot 100 3s and put up a percentage north of 40 (Wes Johnson, Rautins and Nichols). None came close to 45%. Also, shooting numbers tend to dip as the year goes on as guys log more minutes and/or deal with some bumps and bruises.

So where will Cooney end up? He certainly looks like he could be north of 40% but I'd be pretty surprised if he finished the year taking ~7 threes a game and was still pushing 50%.

You're not alone -- I actually think Rak has some nice attributes as an offensive player. I like him a lot in that capacity. But he just constantly seems to be trying to jump from under the rim or getting pushed from the block to the baseline. I also think he tries to beat his man to a spot when attacking the rim instead of simply attacking the rim and expecting contact. He has the talent but I just doubt he'll ever get there (which is OK, by the way).

Fair point -- I think he's been much more active defensively and I love it. His improvement on the wing is a pleasant surprise. But I still like Keita in there for now. I agree that at the very least Rak has closed the gap.

Great write-up.

Given the knowns and mostly knowns - I agree with Dakich that a Final Four largely depends on Grant stepping up (even a moderate amount) on consistent basis. And of course staying healthy.

So who's ready for another rambling post from me pretending I'm a basketball expert despite getting cut from my high school team as a sophomore?!?!?! Don't all answer at once. Anyway, thought it might be interesting to just take a little stock individually (since we all know the aggregate sum of what's gone on suggests this team is at least good, perhaps very good. Time will tell).

Anyway, here's my player-by-player breakdown of what we know, and what we are still waiting on at this point.

Dajuan Coleman
What we know:
He's logged more minutes against good competition this year than he did at any point in the second half last year. That's a good thing and speaks to some improvements in conditioning and confidence. He is easily our most (potentially) productive post player. He has one double-double to his credit (in just 19 mins) and another 14 pt/9 reb outing to his credit. Keita struggles to even dream of those numbers and Rak has moments but generally struggles to come close as well. DC is also, unfortunately, the most inconsistent of the bigs, putting up essentially no statistics (4 pts., 5 rebs combined in the past three games) for long stretches. He also remains a 'work in progress' (in quotes b/c I think that's being generous) defensively.
What we don't know: Can DC get to a point this season (I think he will next year) where we can consistently get him four or five touches in the post and get points or FTs on most of those possessions? I can't imagine teams will be doubling or even really sliding to him in the post very often with Cooney and Ennis outside and Grant and Fair roaming the floor. For me this is one of the biggest questions for this group b/c the occasional productive post feed would add another dimension offensively.

Bottom line: Improvement but no 'leap' from DC ... yet. Needs to relax when he gets the ball, something that tends to come with experience and a longer leash. Needs to improve his conditioning and quickness so he can handle the FT line and the baseline in the same defensive possession. He's not close to being able to do this right now.

Rak
What we know:
He's been a bit more active or at least a little more consistent (anecdotally of course) with his effort this season. HE's also essentially the same Rak. Never seen a guy with his combination of size and athletic gifts get stuck under the backboard or in inopportune spots more often. Desperately needs to develop more feel for getting himself into good spots and taking good aggressive angles to the hoop. Which leads us to ...

What we know: This development is unlikely. I like Rak -- seems like a good enough kid and obviously works hard physically to keep himself in that shape. I'm just not convinced he'll be more than a defensive presence at the 5 with decent rebounding and shot-blocking. That's OK, and he's a contributor.

Bottom line: Rak is what he is and I don't really see that changing. I could be wrong. It's certainly happened before and I'd love for it to happen again here.

Baye Keita
What we know:
Still the best communicator and defender of the group. Has worse hands than I do.

What we don't: Umm, nothing. We know Keita at this point.

Bottom line: My money is still on Keita to get the minutes that matter the most. Struggling a little now and simply cannot catch the ball cleanly but I'd be surprised if he's not the go-to guy when we get to Jan/Feb.

Jeremi Grant
What we know:
We love to overrate guys but Grant's abilities are tough to overrate. Hasn't made many jumpers and has an ugly looking shot, but the dude can truly play at this level and beyond. He can make mid-range jumpers with that form and even when he isn't he's a factor every team has to account for b/c he's simply dynamic. Shown more off the bounce this year as well. Got off to a weird start to the season with the suspension and some defensive lapses, but he got better every game in Maui.

What we don't: Just how good can he be? Has taken just 3 threes and has yet to make one, but he was 6 of 15 last year in limited time so it's not like he can't shoot from there. If he's back next year, this will be a question for him. But as for this year, I still think there's a chance he becomes the go-to guy, which allows CJ to do a ton of damage as an extremely dangerous secondary option. If we get to this point, it's a very, very good thing.

Bottom line: Kid is fun to watch and still seems to be scratching the surface (or close to the surface) of his game. Even if he doesn't become the go-to guy we all envision, he can still have a huge year and a major impact if he is simply more consistent, especially defensively.

CJ Fair
What we know:
One of the most consistent players I can ever remember wearing Orange. Hasn't quite knocked down the 3 at the same rate this year but the release is noticeably quicker and, if he has the type of running mates he's had the past few games (Cooney and Grant with Ennis adding more each game), he's a really dangerous player. If we're stuck with CJ and lots of inconsistency around him, we're in trouble.

What we don't: Can he consistently knock down the three. He needs that as the go-to guy and it hasn't quite been there yet. Can he find ways to score against quicker defenders -- needs to be able to play a bit with his back to the basket. Probably the biggest 'if' for his game right now.

Bottom line: Love the guy and think -- regardless of what Grant/McCullough/Roberson bring -- he will be missed dearly next season. Enjoy him while we have him.

Michael Gbinije
What we know:
I can't spell or pronounce his name and he doesn't do enough for it to be called enough for it to stick in my memory. I'm perplexed with him b/c I like his skill. I don't even really think his handle is as bad as it's looked at times (yes, I realize that statement makes no sense). Not aggressive enough on either end to maximize his abilities.

What we don't: Can he be more aggressive and attack offensively while disrupting defensively. At this point he has a niche as the third guard but with Cooney and Ennis playing well, that PT will dwindle as the season progresses.

Bottom line: Needs to prove he can do at least one thing well to keep logging minutes. My guess is that it's defensively where he at least gives us a different look. Hope that happens because our bench is short enough as it is.

Trevor Cooney
What we know:
It turns out he really can shoot. Also has a passable handle, good athleticism and and good anticipation defensively. Overall thrilled with his game thus far even if the 47% from three is unsustainable.

What we don't know: Can Cooney contribute inside the 3-point line? He seems to have this ability and I don't think we'll see much of it b/c his hanging around outside is a huge factor in spreading defenses and letting Grant/Fair go to work. But it's an interesting thing to watch b/c with his athleticism and quick release a few pump fakes could make him an even more complete player.

Bottom line: Great use of a redshirt by JB and he's developed enough to contribute even when he inevitably hits a bit of a shooting slump at some point. Only downside is that he's not super long or super quick at the top which leaves us more vulnerable up there than we've been in a long time.

Tyler Ennis
What we know:
He's been far better than anyone has the right to expect as a frosh. So composed and creative that I don't even think his impressive stats (12 ppg, 5 apg, 40% from 3) tell the story of what he's given to this club. A bit of a liability defensively but I'd imagine that will improve with more time in the zone. Just a really good all-around player regardless of class, which is a high praise for a freshman.

What we don't: He's going to log a TON of minutes and you'd have to think there's a wall at some point. How much he has left late in the year is something of a concern, albeit a relatively minor one in the grand scheme of things.

Roberson/Patterson/Johnson
What we know:
Talented and promising.

What we don't: When we'll ever see them again.

Bottom line: Hopefully we see some good minutes in the next couple weeks, but ultimately these guys are prepping for 2014/2015.

Love this post. Really great observations all around. Keep them coming.