8 team playoff | Syracusefan.com

8 team playoff

There aren’t 8 worthy teams. At most cap it at 6. Plus the top team should be rewarded with a bye.

If you are a P5 conference champion and in the Top 10 you get in. If you are a G5 team and in the Top 10 you get in. Whatever spots are leftover go to the highest ranked teams.

BTW they should go back to a BCS like formula for rankings.

Bama vs winner of Ohio State/Washington
Clemson vs winner of Oklahoma/UCF
Too bad ND join a conference

Clemson vs Bama/Ohio State winner
Oklahoma vs Georgia/USC winner

Bama vs Washington/Penn State
Clemson vs Ohio State/Oklahoma

Clemson vs Oklahoma/Iowa
Bama vs Michigan State/Stanford

Bama vs Ohio State/Baylor
Oregon vs FSU/TCU

would love an 8 team playoff, don't love an automatic bid for conference champs. take the top 7 Power 5 teams along with the top G5 team. committee ranks and seeds them (basically, the G5 team will be the 8th seed pretty much everytime). play the quarterfinal round at team sites, top 4 get home field for the quarters, then the final 4 play in neutral stadiums using the rotating bowl sites

Commish White all over the radio today pushing for 8 teams.

I dont think it means auto bid for the G5. though.. had memphis not screwed up the 2nd half UCF is ranked no higher than 15 and they wouldnt deserve a bid

would love an 8 team playoff, don't love an automatic bid for conference champs. take the top 7 Power 5 teams along with the top G5 team. committee ranks and seeds them (basically, the G5 team will be the 8th seed pretty much everytime). play the quarterfinal round at team sites, top 4 get home field for the quarters, then the final 4 play in neutral stadiums using the rotating bowl sites

what if there are no worthy g5 teams. throw them in for the heck of it? what if two g5 teams are deserving?

Just realized the last three years we have seen an undefeated G5 team.

It's really very simple. The P5 conference champs get in. With so little crossover competition you have to reward the teams that win their conference, that's who everyone plays for the most part. Plus, that adds the possibility that someone could "play their way in" by upsetting the regular season 1st place team. Then the next best 3 teams. Sorry, no auto bid for the G5 schools. If they want in they have to earn it. UCF this season imo has not earned it and should not be in an 8 team tournament. (Non Conf they beat SC St, Pitt and FL Atlantic). They had a game scheduled against UNC which is at least another P5 team but it was rained out. And then UCF (Like WVU) decides not to make that game up.
Add in GA, MI and WA and there's the 8 for this year. GA, MI and ND get the at large bids.

Top team doesn't deserve a bye. Even this year, Alabama has proven nothing other than they are the best team in the SEC and better than Louisville, LA- Lafayette, Arkansas St and The Citadel. :vomit: That does NOT deserve a bye. Also, you can't set the tournament up to satisfy one season's results. That's how we ended up where we are by short sighted people deciding there's only 4 teams that deserve a shot so let's make it 4.

I really don't see why it is so hard.

What's this mean for ND. If they want in they better join the ACC full time.

It's really very simple. The P5 conference champs get in. With so little crossover competition you have to reward the teams that win their conference, that's who everyone plays for the most part. Plus, that adds the possibility that someone could "play their way in" by upsetting the regular season 1st place team. Then the next best 3 teams. Sorry, no auto bid for the G5 schools. If they want in they have to earn it. UCF this season imo has not earned it and should not be in an 8 team tournament. (Non Conf they beat SC St, Pitt and FL Atlantic). They had a game scheduled against UNC which is at least another P5 team but it was rained out. And then UCF (Like WVU) decides not to make that game up.
Add in GA, MI and WA and there's the 8 for this year. GA, MI and ND get the at large bids.

Top team doesn't deserve a bye. Even this year, Alabama has proven nothing other than they are the best team in the SEC and better than Louisville, LA- Lafayette, Arkansas St and The Citadel. :vomit: That does NOT deserve a bye. Also, you can't set the tournament up to satisfy one season's results. That's how we ended up where we are by short sighted people deciding there's only 4 teams that deserve a shot so let's make it 4.

I really don't see why it is so hard.

Auburn last year had three losses but had the ability to win three in a row. Why in the hell would you give them a chance?

Why in the hell should Pitt have made it for beating Clemson?

Bama beat the #5, #11, #18, #19, and #23 ranked teams. No one even compares.

playing 2 extra games is insane. agree with up above 6 with 2 byes but play the semis on christmas day and wrap this present up by new years. there aren't 8 contenders ever.

Auburn last year had three losses but had the ability to win three in a row. Why in the hell would you give them a chance?

Thats the tricky thing. a team like pitt beating Clemson or northwestern beating OSU in the tourney after an 8-5 year.

Commish White all over the radio today pushing for 8 teams.

I dont think it means auto bid for the G5. though.. had memphis not screwed up the 2nd half UCF is ranked no higher than 15 and they wouldnt deserve a bid

Very true the 8 make alot of sense, but a Clemson or OSU getting beat by a Pitt or NW would be total BS. the template of 5 conference champs, 2 at large teams, and 1 G5 squad makes all the sense in the world...

Auto bid will be an interesting development to follow. If Delany is for it, it means that he thinks this is another way to screw ND. If he isn't for it, then he sees it as a way to screw the ACC. Either way, he wins.

There aren’t 8 worthy teams. At most cap it at 6. Plus the top team should be rewarded with a bye.

If you are a P5 conference champion and in the Top 10 you get in. If you are a G5 team and in the Top 10 you get in. Whatever spots are leftover go to the highest ranked teams.

BTW they should go back to a BCS like formula for rankings.

Bama vs winner of Ohio State/Washington
Clemson vs winner of Oklahoma/UCF
Too bad ND join a conference

Clemson vs Bama/Ohio State winner
Oklahoma vs Georgia/USC winner

Bama vs Washington/Penn State
Clemson vs Ohio State/Oklahoma

Clemson vs Oklahoma/Iowa
Bama vs Michigan State/Stanford

Bama vs Ohio State/Baylor
Oregon vs FSU/TCU

I disagree with conference champs. Can you imagine Pitt and Northwestern being in the playoff this year? I want the best teams. I’m not sure there should be any criteria, just pick the best teams.

I disagree with conference champs. Can you imagine Pitt and Northwestern being in the playoff this year? I want the best teams. I’m not sure there should be any criteria, just pick the best teams.

IMO they should only get in IF they are in the Top 10. Had Pitt won they wouldn't be Top 20 so they get left out. Also I think making that Top 10 rule would force conferences to scrap divisions. They want to make sure they have a Top 10 conference champ. Hello 3-5-5 for the ACC.

i would be fine if a league winner was top 15 and got in. i mean in a solid year you could be top 15 in the SEC and still have 2-3 losses to pretty good teams and deserve to get in if you win out.. in no world should Pitt beating clemson get them in.

Why is everyone so knuckle dragging about an auto bid. I think the conf championships need to go away which eliminates wily nily winners.

Those guys serve their masters only. The ratings boost for first round games has to be that much more than rubbish acc championship games.

Very true the 8 make alot of sense, but a Clemson or OSU getting beat by a Pitt or NW would be total BS. the template of 5 conference champs, 2 at large teams, and 1 G5 squad makes all the sense in the world...

Another reason to ditch the divisons. It would have been SU vs Clemson for the title.

Why is everyone so knuckle dragging about an auto bid. I think the conf championships need to go away which eliminates wily nily winners.

Those guys serve their masters only. The ratings boost for first round games has to be that much more than rubbish acc championship games.

In a conference over 10 how do you pick a champion fairly? Even in the B12 would it be fair that #1 beat #2 at home while #2 never had #1 at home? For the CCGs just scrap divisions and we are all good.

The SEC, like the Big Ten is largely overrated. 18, 19, 23 would not have been ranked if in another conference

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom