8 teams still in play for a #1 seed | Syracusefan.com

8 teams still in play for a #1 seed

2-3zone

2nd String
The selection committee is doing their mock selection with members of the media this week and Lunardi is tweeting from it and 8 teams were debated as far as a #1 seed (Arizona, Duke, Florida, Kansas, Michigan St., Syracuse, Villanova and Wichita St.)

They selected the 4 in this order 1.) Syracuse 2.) Arizona 3.)Wichita St. 4.)Florida

Villanova and Florida are the biggest threats for the 1 seed in the east, but even if we ever fell to a 2 seed, or gasp a 3, we would still get Buffalo and MSG

Villanova and Florida are the biggest threats for the 1 seed in the east, but even if we ever fell to a 2 seed, or gasp a 3, we would still get Buffalo and MSG

IMO, 'Cuse would have to lose AT LEAST one game more than 'Nova loses for them to snag the East #1 - especially when you consider the schedule SU has coming up. (@Duke, @UVA, @FSU, @Maryland & the ACC Tourney)

Meaning if they end up with 3 losses, we'd have to have 4 losses for them to leap us on the #1 line.

Beating them head-to-head was huge.

It bought SU a lot of wiggle room as we head toward the finish line.

IMO, 'Cuse would have to lose AT LEAST one game more than 'Nova loses for them to snag the East #1 - especially when you consider the schedule SU has coming up. (@Duke, @UVA, @FSU, @Maryland & the ACC Tourney)

Meaning if they end up with 3 losses, we'd have to have 4 losses for them to leap us on the #1 line.

Beating them head-to-head was huge.

It bought SU a lot of wiggle room as we head toward the finish line.
I agree, but I think those are the biggest threats. I guess you could add Duke if they ran the table which included 1 possibly 2 wins over us

I feel like a loss to anyone but us for Duke eliminates them from the 1 seed line

The selection committee is doing their mock selection with members of the media this week and Lunardi is tweeting from it and 8 teams were debated as far as a #1 seed (Arizona, Duke, Florida, Kansas, Michigan St., Syracuse, Villanova and Wichita St.)

They selected the 4 in this order 1.) Syracuse 2.) Arizona 3.)Wichita St. 4.)Florida

I'd have to think with that, then the 2s should be 5) Duke 6) Michigan St. 7) Kansas 8) Villanova

Love this mock selection exercise, but we all know there is still some movement that can happen between now and Selection Sunday.

Cheers,
Neil

Looking at the Bracket Matrix here are the teams that are potential 1-2-3rd opponents:

Projected 16 seeds

Davidson
Utah State
Southern
VMI
NC Central

Projected 8 seeds

VCU
Okie St
Kansas St
North Carolina

Projected 9 seeds

New Mexico
GW
Colorado
SMU

Projected 4 seeds

Iowa State
Wisconsin
Kentucky
Virginia

Projected 5 seeds

St. Louis
Iowa
Louisville
Texas

Looking at the Bracket Matrix here are the teams that are potential 1-2-3rd opponents:

Projected 16 seeds

Davidson
Utah State
Southern
VMI
NC Central

Projected 8 seeds

VCU
Okie St
Kansas St
North Carolina

Projected 9 seeds

New Mexico
GW
Colorado
SMU

Projected 4 seeds

Iowa State
Wisconsin
Kentucky
Virginia

Projected 5 seeds

St. Louis
Iowa
Louisville
Texas

I'd hate to see Wisconsin in a sweet 16 matchup. Don't get me wrong, we're much more talented, but their style of play just drives me nuts. You get behind by 2 or 3 possessions and it feels like you're down 12-15 pts. I'll take ISU all day there. Kane & Ejim can go off, but I think they'd have a tough time handling the zone and getting them the ball in the right spots.

I'd hate to see Wisconsin in a sweet 16 matchup. Don't get me wrong, we're much more talented, but their style of play just drives me nuts. You get behind by 2 or 3 possessions and it feels like you're down 12-15 pts. I'll take ISU all day there. Kane & Ejim can go off, but I think they'd have a tough time handling the zone and getting them the ball in the right spots.

That round is unlikely to be a cakewalk. L'ville & Iowa as #5s? Yikes. They are Top 8 right now in kenpom.
MSG could be huge for us.

I believe the only true threat we would have of not getting placed in the East would be if Duke ends up with a better resume than us. If they end up with a better resume they would get placed higher on the “S-Curve” than us and would get preference of location. If they end up in the East there is no way that the committee will place us in the same bracket. They would never put a 1 seed and 2 see in a bracket from the same conference.
So even if Nova ends up with a better “S-Curve” rating than us we could still be the 2 seed in their bracket, which would be the East.
Duke has a long way to go before they jump us on the S-Curve, but if they beat us next week, and if we lose to Virginia, some other game that we shouldn’t… and lose again to Duke again in the ACC tourney it could happen… Duke would have to win out as well. So that is a lot of “ifs” but I supposed it could happen? Other than this, we should end up in the East. (Even if we are not the overall number 1 seed, we should be the highest rated team that could be a 1 seed in the East)

That round is unlikely to be a cakewalk. L'ville & Iowa as #5s? Yikes. They are Top 8 right now in kenpom.
MSG could be huge for us.

I think the name Louisville scares us a little more than the actual team. With Ware sidelined & Behanan no longer there, I'm not as concerned with them as I normally would be. But to see them as a 5 seed surprises me a bit. Give me St. Louis or Texas all day there!

With the win at Pitt I don't think Duke can surpass us unless we have a What loss. If we split @Duke, @Maryland, @Virginia, @Florida State then win the home games at 29-2 we would be a 1 seed. Florida is geographically closer to Memphis, TN then New York, NY so I don't see them as a threat.

Come selection here is how I see the 1/2 seeds looking

East
1. Syracuse
2. Villanova
Midwest
1. Wichita State
2. Michigan or Michigan State
West
1. Arizona
2. Kansas
South
1. Florida
2. Duke

Florida has virtually no shot at the #1 in the East. If they are a #1 seed, they will be #1 in the South.

Cheers,
Neil
Totally agree.
Distance from Gainsville, FL to Memphis (South Regional) 659 miles
to NYC (East Regional) 1, 013 miles

Florida is likely going to the South Regional.

Have you watched them this year? It is the anti Wisconsin, which is why they have struggled more than usual in Big 10 play

Isn't it a little ridiculous that we can be 24-0 and still not have a 1 seed locked up. They put too much emphasis on how you finish.
I disagree, there is still almost a 4th of the season left. If you lose 4 of the last six or 5 of 8 it should be considered as much as games in November and December.

Do you think Wichita St should be locked into a 1 seed even if they lose one or 2 games?

The only team I don't want to see before arlington is Duke again or creighton. Those are the two most dangerous 3 pt shooting teams in my eyes.

I disagree, there is still almost a 4th of the season left. If you lose 4 of the last six or 5 of 8 it should be considered as much as games in November and December.

Do you think Wichita St should be locked into a 1 seed even if they lose one or 2 games?

No because Wichita State isnt in a power conference. They almost need to win out for a 1 seed, and that is understandable.

What is not understandable is how it could even be possible that Duke leap frogs us for a 1 seed, barring us losing out (not happening) and Duke winning out (not happening)

I realize the OOC was awful, but if UVA finishes 17-1 and wins the ACC tourney, it would seem they'd be deserving of consideration. I think even then they'd max out at 2 but its close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom