8 years ago today JB at Duke | Syracusefan.com

8 years ago today JB at Duke

Alsacs

Living Legend

I appreciated he fought for his team and just didn’t take that.

The memories. I forgot Dick Vitale defended JB and Bilas kinda said he ended the game when the game was decided.

College refs suck on block/charge calls.

1) That call was atrocious.

2) Coaches should wear suits. The ath-leisure look is emabrassing.

3) Our five on the floor at that moment was Cooney, Ennis, Fair, Grant and Christmas. They'd beat our current team by 20, easily.

That moment, right there, may have been the precise down turn of the 8 year slide to where we are now.

I was sitting behind the Syracuse bench at that game. We were packed in so tightly that Jeremy Grant's perspiration was actually falling on me whenever he sat in his seat in front of me. That whole thing happened so quickly that we weren't sure what we were watching. Folks who saw it on TV got a much better view of it, plus all the replays and commentary.

Last edited:
That moment, right there, may have been the precise down turn of the 8 year slide to where we are now.
i.e. my post above

Edit: One could certainly argue the precise downturn point actually occurred with the prior blue-shorts BC calamity

Last edited:
Two top 5 teams couldn't crack 70 points.

Not to say they weren't talented but some games back then were rock rights.

Terrible call

Two top 5 teams couldn't crack 70 points.

Not to say they weren't talented but some games back then were rock rights.

Terrible call
35 second shot clock and with Ennis we played a slow pace.

That first Duke game was among the best played games in the history of the Dome.

The JT ejection game I was a young kid and best game ever at the Dome.

3) Our five on the floor at that moment was Cooney, Ennis, Fair, Grant and Christmas. They'd beat our current team by 20, easily.
Our 13-14 second unit would win most of the time against our current team... Even if they weren't allowed any substitutions and Coleman was injured. The Boeheim brothers and Girard would be locked down hard by the length and athleticism of Johnson Roberson Keita and Gbinije.

F Keita
F Roberson
C D. Coleman
G BJ Johnson
G Gbinije

Damn that 13-14 team was good.

Our 13-14 second unit would win most of the time against our current team... Even if they weren't allowed any substitutions and Coleman was injured. The Boeheim brothers and Girard would be locked down hard by the length and athleticism of Johnson Roberson Keita and Gbinije.

F Keita
F Roberson
C D. Coleman
G BJ Johnson
G Gbinije

What’s even crazier is that second lineup would then get demolished and embarrassed by our 11-12 second lineup of MCW, Dion, CJ, Southerland, and Keita. That team was so stacked and deep that Cooney redshirted even though he was a top 50 recruit.

F Keita
F Roberson
C D. Coleman
G BJ Johnson
G Gbinije

Now I'm just sad.

1645556268553.jpeg

I was sitting behind the Syracuse bench at that game, packed in so tightly that Jeremy Grant's perspiration was actually falling on me whenever he sat in his seat in front of me. That whole thing happened so quickly that we weren't sure what we were watching. Folks who saw it on TV got a much better view of it, plus all the replays and commentary.
One of the most amazing things about JB s that he sees things that it take most of us ten replays from ten angle to recognize . He knew immediately that the call was BS and most of us were not sure until we saw all of the replay angles.

Jay wright looks like a regular guy now, my wife was appalled at his aging and his clothes, she's moved on to tony Bennett, wright is yesterday's news to her

I'll get killed for this but never understood the rage about this call. It was a 50-50 call, we're on the road, what do you expect? At best it just means OT.

I'll get killed for this but never understood the rage about this call. It was a 50-50 call, we're on the road, what do you expect? At best it just means OT.

70-30, at worst.

Fair makes a decisive basketball move, the secondary defender (secondary defender, mind you) is pretty clearly late to the spot, Fair still manages to contort himself to both get the shot off cleanly and avoid contact, and the guy flops in spite of this effort.

OK, I'm worked up all over again.

Seriously, I and a small bunch of not-your-usual-whiners on this board had been pretty frustrated by some aspects of SU's play for four or five weeks before this game. They were coming off that total nightmare against BC that ended the winning streak. But then they went to Duke and played legitimately very well. Boeheim put together a great game plan, had them right there, and they executed. So he was right to blow his top.

After that, the season was over. And based on what we've seen since (but didn't know at the time), that loss really represented the end of the era of Great Syracuse Basketball.

So, yeah. Rage over the call is totally justified.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom