82nd in ypp offense, 72 in ypp defense | Syracusefan.com

82nd in ypp offense, 72 in ypp defense

Millhouse

Living Legend
Turnovers are great and explain going 4-0 but since it makes people angry to call it luck, let's just say it's not predictive.

Use the whole clock, try to shorten games. We have the kicker and our QB comes through at the end of games - against good teams, try to get to that point with as few plays for the other team to pull way

thank goodness for this little lucky cushion.

When you run 20-30x a game like the last 2 weeks and get nothing your YPP is gonna take a big hit I suspect.

we threw for 8 ypp and ran for 2 ypp..

better than running 40 times for 5 ypp like last yr an passing for 4 ypp.

again the 2 trick plays went for zero.. the Half back pass if he throws to Shrader he has 1 man to beat and gains 30+ The reverse looked like it was gonna go big in the DB closed like a rocket and out ran our WR to the corner to shut it down.

No big plays ijn the running game at all is whats killing us.. Last yr we seemed to get 2-3 a game of decent chunk runs. thats like 50 yds we never see this yr.

teams every game on TV hitting 2-3 home run plays a game. But not us. maybe we are due.

Most teams have played more non P5 teams than we have. Here are the vs P5 only numbers

YPP Offense 53

YPP Defense 50

I’ll look at it later but I will guess a total rank 103 would put us near the top 30 overall

FYI we are 31 in passing Yards per attempt which is an equivilent metric for passing offense (vs P5 only)

Next week should be a nice stat compiling opportunity. Would be nice to get Tucker 200 on the ground and 100 through the air. Pitching a shut out would be nice too. Would be nice to rest some guys in the 2nd half who are banged up with the bye coming.

How many teams have played 3 P5s already and no FCSs? In FBS games we are ranked 70th and 50th.
I think only 4. That is why i listed the P5 only numbers.

The passing improvement is what really matters. We were so bad last year. Clemson and wake DBs are beatable as we saw yesterday.

Passing drives the bus in football these days.

Additional quick math with the offense-

Ville 6.8
UConn 6.1
Purdue 4.7
UVA 4.95

Amongst the team rankings- the ville YPP of 6.8 would rank 15th, UConn 38th, Purdue 102nd and UVA 94th.

On D:
Ville 6.1
UConn 4.3
Purdue 6.29
UVA 4.2

Defense operating from top 20 figures in games two and four... then around 100th for games 1 and 3.

Aren’t we something like 0 - 6 for trick plays? I love trick plays when they work - sometimes even when they don’t work just to keep the opposition on their heels. But cannot remember a time when we’ve come up empty on every single trick play.

Aren’t we something like 0 - 6 for trick plays? I love trick plays when they work - sometimes even when they don’t work just to keep the opposition on their heels. But cannot remember a time when we’ve come up empty on every single trick play.
especially when the D has not really defended any of them correctly

Most teams have played more non P5 teams than we have. Here are the vs P5 only numbers

YPP Offense 53

YPP Defense 50

I’ll look at it later but I will guess a total rank 103 would put us near the top 30 overall

FYI we are 31 in passing Yards per attempt which is an equivilent metric for passing offense (vs P5 only)
thanks for that. Good point. That does sound more like what we've seen. That is enough to have a good year if it holds.

YPP Offense 53

YPP Defense 50

some of the difference might be me pulling those numbers after friday night before most teams played their saturday games

ignoring ranking, just averages
vs p5
offense 5.48 ypp
defense 5.59 ypp

if that holds, you'll be middle of the pack, plus or minus some good luck.

As others have alluded, a nice 66-7 game with 600 yards of offense this week would go a long ways to making us feel better
Rutgers with their utterly inept offense did just that so it’s basically a name your score game. Just no more injuries please

ignoring ranking, just averages
vs p5
offense 5.48 ypp
defense 5.59 ypp

if that holds, you'll be middle of the pack, plus or minus some good luck.
ok so we are only ranked 50 if you add offense and defense YPP BUT there is a huge caveat

There are 20 teams out of the top 50 that have only played 1 P5 game, so sample size is a huge issue.

Only 2 teams besides CUSE (ND/FSU) in the top 50 had 3 games against P5 so 94% of the teams in the top 50 of combined YPP have played 2 games or less vs P5

All in all, I think we are playing solid, not great with room to have a realistic 8-10 win season. Also our 3 games against P5 means we’re probably more beat up than most and ready for a couple week rest.

This bye and FCS game are just what the doctor ordered. Let’s hope we look like we did to start the year (or better) on the other side.

Last edited:
ok so we are only ranked 50 if you add offense and defense YPP BUT there is a huge caveat

There are 20 teams out of the top 50 that have only played 1 P5 game, so sample size is a huge issue.

Only 2 teams besides CUSE (ND/FSU) in the top 50 had 3 games against P5 so 94% of the teams in the top 50 of combined YPP have played 2 games or less vs P5

All in all, I think we are playing solid, not great with room to have a realistic 8-10 win season. Also our 3 games against P5 means we’re probably more beat up than most and ready for a couple week rest.

This bye and FCS game are just what the doctor ordered. Let’s hope we look like we did to start the year (or better) on the other side.
yeah, that's why in the post you replied to i said to ignore the ranks and just look at their averages

8 wins, FWIW, I don't think so. I'm guessing 7 and that would be a big improvement. Our injuries are costly given that we are never deep. The important thing is to continue improving, year by year. Injuries happen, we need depth to remain competitive.

I'm not sure we even need the qualifiers, really. I think we have a defense that can make some plays even though they're not dominant. We haven't really figured out our running game, which limits our offense, but we've improved enough passing the ball to be a competent offense. Our specials aren't incredible, but Szmydt has made 9 of 10 FGs and Von Marburg has been OK punting the ball, while Pena had one well-timed big KO return.

All in all, it's a team that can be solid in all three phases, with pretty solid coaching. That's enough to make you pretty competitive. Add a little luck in there and it explains where we are.

Dino calls them 'special' plays because they work on them all the time. he says trick plays are ones you work on only occasionally.

I'd say they are trick plays when they work and disasters when they don't. :cool:

Dino calls them 'special' plays because they work on them all the time. he says trick plays are ones you work on only occasionally.

I'd say they are trick plays when they work and disasters when they don't. :cool:
Most offensive coaches will tell you not to call them trick plays. The excitement of it can cause a player to panic, try too hard and mess up. So just treat it like another play in your play book.

asking people who never throw the ball to have the judgment to not throw it is begging for a special result

practice time is too precious

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom