85 man workaround for the big boyz | Syracusefan.com

85 man workaround for the big boyz

While it’s probably possible to do this with the current set up, I don’t think you’re going to see many stud recruits wanting to be player 86+ for Bama or Georgia (where they are likely the least studly of the studs at their position), when they can go to Michigan, USC, Florida, etc. and be higher on the depth chart without the headaches.

When do they start adding studs as pwo’s and then pay them huge nil and then they funnel back to university to pay their own tuition a fees. Is there protection for this back door?
Never? Why would a stud agree to that?

The stud doesn’t need to be 86 on the depth chart. Just allows them to surpass the 85 limit

Meh now they aren't buried and redshirting to not play the whole time.

We might miss on the marquee kids out of HS but they might view their RS year at Bama as an internship and then transfer somewhere like us.

Obviously they will enter summer ball hoping to make the 2 deep but once they don't they start looking around these are 18 year old kids if the coach doesn't play them right away they want options. You didn't have options in the 70s being 120 on pedo states depth chart because Joe Pa whispered sweet nothings to you to be a PWO.

Meh now they aren't buried and redshirting to not play the whole time.

We might miss on the marquee kids out of HS but they might view their RS year at Bama as an internship and then transfer somewhere like us.

Obviously they will enter summer ball hoping to make the 2 deep but once they don't they start looking around these are 18 year old kids if the coach doesn't play them right away they want options. You didn't have options in the 70s being 120 on pedo states depth chart because Joe Pa whispered sweet nothings to you to be a PWO.
In the shower?

Definitely a loop hole that I would try to exploit especially for the State schools but I don't see any stud kids taking these deals. You'd be asking them to put their NIL money towards tuition room and board when they could just go someone where else, get their NIL money and still have school be free.

Definitely a loop hole that I would try to exploit especially for the State schools but I don't see any stud kids taking these deals. You'd be asking them to put their NIL money towards tuition room and board when they could just go someone where else, get their NIL money and still have school be free.
Just make tuition part of the NIL deal. If the sugar daddy is willing to add that expense, problem solved it would seem.

A scholarship + NIL is definitely preferable to the Franken-financing of their tuition proposed here.

A stud recruit will always have a comparable school to sign with that will simply give him a scholarship - a stud recruit will always take that option.

Circumventing the 85 limit with NIL is likely possible, but unlikely to be an option recruits ever go for.

SEC has stated it wants the 85 scholarship limit cancelled
That. Just. Ain't. Happenin'. Classic line from Darrell Royal the fabled coach at Texas when asked about whether a good prospect they just signed would see significant playing time - "I can't tell you whether he will play for the University of Texas, but I can guarantee he won't play against the University of Texas."

In the 60s, the power teams would have over 100 scholarship players. The only reason that the competitive edge in college football isn't any worse than it is now is the 85-scholarship limit. Does the SEC think that folks have forgotten about the Bad Old Days? If anything changes, I could see the limit being cut to 75 to get better Title IX compliance numbers.

As far as the OP is concerned, the number of players and schools that try to go the PWO route with the Transfer Portal will be insignificant. Onesies and twosies, at most. Will somebody try it? Sure. But it's hard to see very many schools trying to do that and it's just as hard to see a player taking a huge chance like that when another school will offer him a scholarship and a better chance at significant PT.

That. Just. Ain't. Happenin'. Classic line from Darrell Royal the fabled coach at Texas when asked about whether a good prospect they just signed would see significant playing time - "I can't tell you whether he will play for the University of Texas, but I can guarantee he won't play against the University of Texas."

In the 60s, the power teams would have over 100 scholarship players. The only reason that the competitive edge in college football isn't any worse than it is now is the 85-scholarship limit. Does the SEC think that folks have forgotten about the Bad Old Days? If anything changes, I could see the limit being cut to 75 to get better Title IX compliance numbers.

As far as the OP is concerned, the number of players and schools that try to go the PWO route with the Transfer Portal will be insignificant. Onesies and twosies, at most. Will somebody try it? Sure. But it's hard to see very many schools trying to do that and it's just as hard to see a player taking a huge chance like that when another school will offer him a scholarship and a better chance at significant PT.
In a few years we will see the players who redshirted, then didn't play much the second year at the big powers transfering out to get playing time.

In a few years we will see the players who redshirted, then didn't play much the second year at the big powers transfering out to get playing time.
Wait just one second! Are you trying to tell me that players can enter the Portal and the leave the Big Powers for more PT????? I've been told on message board after message board that players can only enter the Portal from lesser schools and go to the Big Powers who can have 185 players on scholarship because everyone is transferring in. I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night. ;)

This is another example of an OP identifying something that appears to be a problem, but would actually be a good thing for the student-athletes.

Could have easily been done under old rules just the same. Just call the University and offer to setup a scholarship and make the guidelines for the scholarship donation very rigid.

Syracuse has their own loopholes

Full tuition scholarships for Haudenosaunee

Full tuition scholarships for City of Syracuse Public School HS grads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom