A Few Late Game Thoughts... | Syracusefan.com

A Few Late Game Thoughts...

newmexicuse

All Conference
I did not necessarily think that we would beat Maryland, but I thought it should have been a close game that could have gone either way.

1. Williams did a really nice job at the X, too bad we couldn't take advantage of xtra possessions.

2. They looked more athletic than we did.

3. They outplayed us in the goal. I very much appreciate Malloy's role in turning the season around. Up until this game he really played clutch, always getting the big save. In this game he was off, not only failing to make big saves, but letting in three or four that should have been blockable. If he had blocked the three or four that he should have and made just two big saves it might have been entirely different, but don't get me wrong, even though he failed to be a hero I am not putting this one on the goaltender.

4. The D just couldn't stop Rambo and Maltz. They were too quick and they had great interior passing.

5. We just don't have any super athletes on attack. No game changers. Donohue is best setting up in front of the crease, not trying to create from outside. The fact that we have no big time creator to set him up really hurt us. I still like what I see of Solomon, he could be big for us next year. He is the one guy we have with legit speed on attack. Lane is an interesting player with his size. He needed better judgment on some of his man up shots, but as he gets experience it will be interesting to see how his game evolves.

6. We kept shooting ourselves in the foot in the man-up situations by taking early low percentage shots. We didn't even make them work hard to defend.

Bottom line, I think these guys salvaged what could have been a really tough season, gave us some excitement, and in the end accomplished what was in line with their skill level.

The announcers seemed to make a big thing about how both SU and UMd play on turf and that this grass field was a lot different and could have been affecting shooting. Did the players/coaches mention anything about that? The announcers were trying to say SU kept shooting low and the field was killing them.

The announcers seemed to make a big thing about how both SU and UMd play on turf and that this grass field was a lot different and could have been affecting shooting. Did the players/coaches mention anything about that? The announcers were trying to say SU kept shooting low and the field was killing them.
I was sitting in front of some former players and they were saying that SU scouting must have said the goalie was weak up high. I think syracuse took some questionable shots.

Also, did anyone notice that after maltz scored a goal, he was pumping his chest and looking up at the cuse fans. Must be some bad blood with the family after Randy came in and took Derek's spot on attack.

Also, did anyone notice that after maltz scored a goal, he was pumping his chest and looking up at the cuse fans. Must be some bad blood with the family after Randy came in and took Derek's spot on attack.
Or the fact that Jordan Evans (freshman seasons for both) was getting playing time and he wasn't.

Or the fact that Jordan Evans (freshman seasons for both) was getting playing time and he wasn't.

Evans only played in 11 games that year, mostly as a 2nd Mid.

Starting attack in 2014 was Donahue, Rice, Staats, with the older Maltz and Galasso mixed in.

As I recall Evans was only playing d middie as a freshman.

No way was Maltz going to take the place of anyone on our attack the past few years. Can't blame him for transferring.

I never played so I can't comment on any of the lacrosse stuff. I can second the opinion that they looked more athletic than us at pretty much every position. We were slow this year. No burners who could win one on one match ups. Lack of speed is not good in any sport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom