a full court... | Syracusefan.com

a full court...

BillSU

All American
press, is IMHO, going to be necessary when we play our next game and be very aggressive on the offensive glass. MState has played one exhibition game and one regular season game averaging 100 points so they can shoot. They're 1- AA out of Kentucky playing UConn Thursday night before us on Saturday. I'm going to wait to see the results of that game before making my fearless prediction. Everyone so far has us winning by 20 – 30. This will be the biggest test for us so far – think what you will of State. They are guard heavy with 9, count 'em, 9 guards on a roster of fifteen and they also have forwards that are taller than 6'6” unlike the EWU team we played Tuesday night.

I don't care who it is, if you can shoot 98 points and 102 you do have an offensive game. We shot poorly in our first regular season game but our D was outstanding. They have not faced a D like ours so I feel we will severely limit their offense. And they've never played in the DOME against talent like ours. We'll win but maybe not by the 30+ points we're used to so far into this years schedule. Should be a good, interesting game. GOSU

Last edited:
This will be the biggest test for us so far – think what you will of State.

Appreciate the insight into their team, but I had to chuckle at this line. It's our second game of the season and we won the first game by 30, so yeah, I suppose it will indeed be our biggest test so far!

They were picked to finish 10th in the Ohio Valley. They finished dead last in the league last year, finishing 8-21.

Unless this was satire, I don't really know what you are so concerned about...If we don't win by 25+, it'll be a surprise.

I will think State is trash. Thanks for allowing me to do so ;)

KenPom has us as a 23 point favorite. We were 18.5 the other night. This team is worse.

In years past a team like this might hang around.

But this season we're going to press, and it's going to really suck for teams like this.

So Pitino’s influence here is definitely noticeable, right? Seems like there is a lot of face-guarding and more organization behind whenever they are using this 2-2-1? Does anybody know how this evolved those days Pitino was here? Did JB just let Pitino coach it up and install it? Or at least communicate the blueprint of it?

I’m loving it. I think it will be a vital weapon. Some posters think we’re Golden State now with Hughes/Carey/Buddy additions. Good players for sure but this team was historically bad on offense last year. Now we’re at more of a level playing field offensively, IMO, for a major college basketball power. Can’t just expect to simply win on D with the zone and pray we squeak by on offense. Plenty of teams have equal talent. I personally don’t really view Battle as a 1st round type of NBA talent. I just think the offense will still really struggle at times and if we can turn defense into offense with this press then so be it. We’ll need it. It’s a nice weapon so far!

So Pitino’s influence here is definitely noticeable, right? Seems like there is a lot of face-guarding and more organization behind whenever they are using this 2-2-1? Does anybody know how this evolved those days Pitino was here? Did JB just let Pitino coach it up and install it? Or at least communicate the blueprint of it?

Gotta be. So much resemblance to Pitino's press. It's fun to watch.

Helps to have 4 athletic guards on the roster to do the Pitino thing.

our guards have the ability to pressure. as we have had in the past. but does the coach have the inclination ?

Gotta be. So much resemblance to Pitino's press. It's fun to watch.

I really don’t remember us playing a 2-2-1 much, if at all before.

When we’ve pressed it’s always been an all out 1-2-1-1, gambling press because we’re down and need to gamble and speed the game up.

I like it.

In years past a team like this might hang around.

But this season we're going to press, and it's going to really suck for teams like this.
oshae at the tip of the spear was devastating. he's gonna get a lot of easy points off steals this year

Watching Morehead St. @ UConn currently on WatchEspn. Alterique Gilbert is a carbon coby of Flynn in terms of speed and size. Smaller but sturdy guy who is super quick and with those huge calves like Flynn had. Carlton and Polley look much improved. Hurley has them playing really aggressive D. If we sleepwalk then it will be trouble. Their backcourt will be a big test. So far we’re 1-1 against pretty much this same sqaud.

I don’t think we’ll have much trouble with MSU. They got back into this game because of some ball sticking 1-on-1 stuff from UConn which resulted in turnovers and a last second 3 to close the 1H.

Watching Morehead St. @ UConn currently on WatchEspn. Alterique Gilbert is a carbon coby of Flynn in terms of speed and size. Smaller but sturdy guy who is super quick and with those huge calves like Flynn had. Carlton and Polley look much improved. Hurley has them playing really aggressive D. If we sleepwalk then it will be trouble. Their backcourt will be a big test. So far we’re 1-1 against pretty much this same sqaud.

I don’t think we’ll have much trouble with MSU. They got back into this game because of some ball sticking 1-on-1 stuff from UConn which resulted in turnovers and a last second 3 to close the 1H.

They playing that overplay the passing lanes style of man to man?

If so, we need our guard to get in the lane. And some postups wouldn’t hurt. Liked seeing Brissett do that early in the LeMoyne exhibition. Hope it wasn’t just because they were so much smaller. He should be able to score on bigger players and draw fouls in there, if the defense is aggressively overplaying everything on the perimeter.

They playing that overplay the passing lanes style of man to man?

If so, we need our guard to get in the lane. And some postups wouldn’t hurt. Liked seeing Brissett do that early in the LeMoyne exhibition. Hope it wasn’t just because they were so much smaller. He should be able to score on bigger players and draw fouls in there, if the defense is aggressively overplaying everything on the perimeter.

Right. Hopefully we make those adjustments quicker than usual. UConn will force some bad shots and Vital makes a lot of dumb decisions but they have talent. I also see Akok behind the UConn bench.

Right. Hopefully we make those adjustments quicker than usual. UConn will force some bad shots and Vital makes a lot of dumb decisions but they have talent. I also see Akok behind the UConn bench.
Hopefully Akok is there when we play UCONN. :D

Hopefully Akok is there when we play UCONN. :D

Ha, I’d rather just lock up Stewart somehow and not have to worry about potentially lighting a fire under this kid a la Robey.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom