A Huge Year from Shrader | Syracusefan.com

A Huge Year from Shrader

FRANKIEFAN

Hall of Fame
If we can get this a lot of other problems go away. Trucking DBs making good reads he has a strong arm being in tune with the WRs. Not limping and being injured.

He’s done a lot of good things for us. He also has more playing experience than pretty much any returning QB. Max Duggan was just another qb and had to fight for his job last off-season Garrett can similarly step it up and just be really good.

If we can get this a lot of other problems go away. Trucking DBs making good reads he has a strong arm being in tune with the WRs. Not limping and being injured.

He’s done a lot of good things for us. He also has more playing experience than pretty much any returning QB. Max Duggan was just another qb and had to fight for his job last off-season Garrett can similarly step it up and just be really good.
Yeah I agree. I feel good about him as our QB. I feel (no disrespect) about 5x more confident in him winning us games than our previous QB. He has an edge you can’t teach, he’s a big guy, and I really think he is developing every year as a passer and I expect him to improve next year as well. He needs to be healthy and not limping that’s the most important thing with him.

Yeah I agree. I feel good about him as our QB. I feel (no disrespect) about 5x more confident in him winning us games than our previous QB. He has an edge you can’t teach, he’s a big guy, and I really think he is developing every year as a passer and I expect him to improve next year as well. He needs to be healthy and not limping that’s the most important thing with him.

Bingo.

We saw what happens last season when he gets injured and how we play when he is not

Yes, but he's been injured to the point of drastically reduced effectiveness in both his seasons at Syracuse. For a big, straping guy, doesn't seem like he can make it through a full schedule. Now, I realize that poor blocking plays a part in this, but it is what it is. That Duke qb we just missed out on, Riley Leonard, looks like a twig compared to Shrader, but he got through their season completely intact. And, he ran a ton for the Blue Devils too.

I think Shrader will need to have a big year because he’s currently starting at QB, TE and WR2 out of necessity. At the same time. :)

We need a healthy Shrader for an effective offense. When he's healthy he plays well. When his ankle isn't good he is not effective running it and opponents then focus on the RB almost entirely shutting that down more. And then in the passing game he is not a major scrambling threat and not quite as mobile avoiding pressure in the pocket. Seems we may be use him too much in the run game quite often. We can't have him run it as much as he does some games. I think we need to have that run threat from him but just use it much less often in hopes he can stay healthy. The RPO is going to have to go the RB mostly and then him occasionally for big runs. Then he will still have the ability to scramble in the passing game.

Which ankle does he have problems with...Is it his plant leg when throwing that also effects his passing a bit?

I do feel good about Shrader but not so good about his support around him wr, te not that we use the te much anyway...lol

May want to lower your expectations. He has a terrible arm. If he can’t run anymore he will be useless.
I’m hoping he will be healthy so he can use his legs.
I do believe we’ll get the best version of Shrader with Beck at the helm.

I really liked what I saw from CDRW, but he needs more seasoning. Very strong arm, but decision making definitely showed his inexperience. If Shrader is able to make it through a full season healthy, it’s a moot point for 2023, but I’d really like to see CDRW get more aptly prepared to step in just in case.

We need a healthy Shrader for an effective offense. When he's healthy he plays well. When his ankle isn't good he is not effective running it and opponents then focus on the RB almost entirely shutting that down more. And then in the passing game he is not a major scrambling threat and not quite as mobile avoiding pressure in the pocket. Seems we may be use him too much in the run game quite often. We can't have him run it as much as he does some games. I think we need to have that run threat from him but just use it much less often in hopes he can stay healthy. The RPO is going to have to go the RB mostly and then him occasionally for big runs. Then he will still have the ability to scramble in the passing game.

Which ankle does he have problems with...Is it his plant leg when throwing that also effects his passing a bit?
Think it was his right ankle. Makes sense for the lost power on the throws later in the year.

Shrader is a stud. When health he we can compete with almost anyone. Unfortunately like Dungey his style inevitably leads to injury. We need a backup that can step in for a game or two and we still compete like Tommy did in 2018. That really was the difference that year.

It's a catch-22 because most of Shrader's value is in his running, but it's his running that often leads to him getting dinged up and becoming less effective.

I wonder if Beck will want to have less designed runs for him in 2023, knowing that our perpetually sketchy OL is going to necessitate a lot of scramble opportunities anyway? Maybe that's the way to balance things?

It's a catch-22 because most of Shrader's value is in his running, but it's his running that often leads to him getting dinged up and becoming less effective.

I wonder if Beck will want to have less designed runs for him in 2023, knowing that our perpetually sketchy OL is going to necessitate a lot of scramble opportunities anyway? Maybe that's the way to balance things?
That's why I think LeQuint is going to be a monster. He's going to catch A LOT of short passes that are an extension of the running game.

I'm here for it. I think it'll be exciting and he'll shine.

Let’s hope. I’d advise Beck to find a second RB to balance the load.
I think Daniels might surprise. He might be our top offensive player coming in next year.

Let’s hope. I’d advise Beck to find a second RB to balance the load.
Yeah Allen looked great in the bowl but man he looked gassed at the end. It will be interesting to see how well he holds up and how Beck manages his snaps. Another RB will be needed. Allen needs more muscle.

He was incredible in the beginning of the season, we need to protect him with a better line end of story!

We can only hope next years OL protects Shrader as well as this years did. As much as people want to blame the OL for everything, we were graded the 4th best pass blocking team in the ACC. And this will really shock people but the ACC QB that had the best average time to throw was Shrader. In fact he even had more time to throw than all but a few starting NFL QBs too. Shrader is often his own worst enemy.

He has to run. Without it, extremely lower ceiling. If he could get better at avoiding contact, that would be ideal. But bottom line- 100% need his involvement via running.

Bingo.

We saw what happens last season when he gets injured and how we play when he is not
Most times he would run it was always a keep running zone. Now that he has been injured a bit thru the year, maybe he lets his rb have some Carrie’s so he is able to keep playing. Here’s to hoping.

We can only hope next years OL protects Shrader as well as this years did. As much as people want to blame the OL for everything, we were graded the 4th best pass blocking team in the ACC. And this will really shock people but the ACC QB that had the best average time to throw was Shrader. In fact he even had more time to throw than all but a few starting NFL QBs too. Shrader is often his own worst enemy.
This is an interesting metric, thanks for sharing. Question, is the grading cumulative on an individual player basis or does it measure total time to throw including the quarterback escaping the pocket?

My perception (which is not based on data obviously) is that our OL struggled with blitz pickups on obvious passing downs but Shrader often rolled towards the pressure as well….I think we will be better on both counts next year.

This is an interesting metric, thanks for sharing. Question, is the grading cumulative on an individual player basis or does it measure total time to throw including the quarterback escaping the pocket?

My perception (which is not based on data obviously) is that our OL struggled with blitz pickups on obvious passing downs but Shrader often rolled towards the pressure as well….I think we will be better on both counts next year.

I don’t think it includes anything after leaving the pocket just looking at the numbers. Shraders average time to throw on dropbacks was 3.06 seconds.

3,100 total yards and 26 tuddies in ‘22
2,200 total yards and 23 tuddies in ‘21

He will be one of our most productive QB’s ever.

In 3 full years, he’ll land near top-5 in every major statistical category at Syracuse. Likely only behind guys like McNabb, Dungey & Nassib. He will also be top-10 in career rushing TD’s.

He’s been a very productive QB. And he’s developed tremendously.

I think he’s undervalued on our all-time fandom totem pole. Not terribly, but Garrett’s fine, and he can lead this offense to a very good place.

3,100 total yards and 26 tuddies in ‘22
2,200 total yards and 23 tuddies in ‘21

He will be one of our most productive QB’s ever.

In 3 full years, he’ll land near top-5 in every major statistical category at Syracuse. Likely only behind guys like McNabb, Dungey & Nassib. He will also be top-10 in career rushing TD’s.

He’s been a very productive QB. And he’s developed tremendously.

I think he’s undervalued on our all-time fandom totem pole. Not terribly, but Garrett’s fine, and he can lead this offense to a very good place.
tuddie?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom