A hypothetical question re: Boeheim, Hopkins and a "Plan B" | Syracusefan.com

A hypothetical question re: Boeheim, Hopkins and a "Plan B"

OttosBestFriend

2nd String
So let's say Jimmy B. decides he wants to stick around longer than expected, kick some ACC tail, hit 1,100+ wins and go for another NCAA title or (hopefully) two titles.

And let's say, Hopkins gets tired of waiting and finally takes on a head coaching position - that we all know he deserves - elsewhere.

In that future scenario where Jimmy finally wants to retire in (just guessing here) 2021 and Hop is locked in elsewhere, do you think Boeheim has or will have a "plan B" replacement coach in Autry or GMac?

I'd like to think Jimmy wants one of his guys that he knows/trusts running the program he's spent his entire life building. Especially since the identity of the program and it's players is so tied together with him.

I mean, in 2013, you could say "zone " or "long athletes" to most - if not all - college basketball fans and they'll immediately say "Syracuse."

If I'm being honest, I'd hate to just go after the hot "flavor of the month" coach at that time if only because I really like what we have with respect to our identity/style of play and, selfishly, don't wanna change it.

That said, I hope there's a plan B.

Thoughts???

Honestly, I think the next contract Hopkins signs will be a head coaching contract. I also think it's silly to have this conversation during the season. JB isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future and I don't know when Hops' current contract ends. But that said, I also don't think there is a plan B...the succession plan is Hopkins, period...

This was one of the things that Syracuse fans have been talking/worried about and will continue to do so until the day JB retires and the next coach is actually put into place.

That said, in the scenario you painted above, JB is what 78 in 2021? I can't see him being here that long, I just can't. In fact I would be utterly shocked if he is here beyond the 2016-2017 season necessary for him to coach the next Olympics.

I don't know if Gerry has the chops to be the guy if Hop moves on, but my god wouldn't that be fun, to see him take charge of the program, assuming of course over the next few seasons he proves to be the recruiter we hope he is. It's clear he has made some serious impact on Cooney out there on the floor these past couple of years.

Does Boeheim really have to be an active coach to be eligible to be an Olympic assistant? I've seen it mentioned a few times, but is that accurate?

Hopkins, maybe GMac, are the only two that would continue the zone as we know it. No one else knows it and can teach it like them. So if you are hoping for same product after JB retires it aint happenin. Only hope is Hopkins comes back (yes he is gone probably after this year) or GMac learning to be a head coach somewhere before then which will have to happen during off season as I don't see him leaving for another gig.

So let's say Jimmy B. decides he wants to stick around longer than expected, kick some ACC tail, hit 1,100+ wins and go for another NCAA title or (hopefully) two titles.

And let's say, Hopkins gets tired of waiting and finally takes on a head coaching position - that we all know he deserves - elsewhere.

In that future scenario where Jimmy finally wants to retire in (just guessing here) 2021 and Hop is locked in elsewhere, do you think Boeheim has or will have a "plan B" replacement coach in Autry or GMac?

I'd like to think Jimmy wants one of his guys that he knows/trusts running the program he's spent his entire life building. Especially since the identity of the program and it's players is so tied together with him.

I mean, in 2013, you could say "zone " or "long athletes" to most - if not all - college basketball fans and they'll immediately say "Syracuse."

If I'm being honest, I'd hate to just go after the hot "flavor of the month" coach at that time if only because I really like what we have with respect to our identity/style of play and, selfishly, don't wanna change it.

Thoughts???
If Hop were to move on...Imo, GMac gets the job. He'd at least get JB's endorsement. Watch JB on Michael Kay's show (YES network) and I think you'll understand why I suggest this.

Does Boeheim really have to be an active coach to be eligible to be an Olympic assistant? I've seen it mentioned a few times, but is that accurate?

i believe Coach K has said he only wants active coaches on his staff for the 2016 Olympics. Since JB is still part of the staff, it is assumed that will be his final season coaching.

Thoughts???
I think you always want to upgrade, so either Andy Enfeld
image.jpg

I think this is a legit topic to discuss (perseverate, obsess, chew upon, mull) from time to time. We have always had the security of knowing Hop was going to step up. But JB, perhaps to his own astonishment, is feeling much perkier and more interested in his job than anyone thought he would be at this stage. So, are we happy about this? Hell, yeah! But does it introduce some insecurity into the occasion? Uh huh.

Why aren't people thinking Autry could do the job? I am also wondering about all our former players who are now coaching. I can say that I want someone who used to play here to be the new HC.

I think this is a legit topic to discuss (perseverate, obsess, chew upon, mull) from time to time. We have always had the security of knowing Hop was going to step up. But JB, perhaps to his own astonishment, is feeling much perkier and more interested in his job than anyone thought he would be at this stage. So, are we happy about this? Hell, yeah! But does it introduce some insecurity into the occasion? Uh huh.

Why aren't people thinking Autry could do the job? I am also wondering about all our former players who are now coaching. I can say that I want someone who used to play here to be the new HC.

Having played in the system is not the same as teaching it and coaching with the architect. Unfortunately.

I think the recent activity may be a result of JB's thinking of a slightly extended time frame. The recruiting is the best it has ever been. The two and done model placed over an uptick of his program kids has resulted in a talent explosion. Just look conservatively ahead 2 years to 2015, it already looks like KJ2, Cooney, BJ, Roberson, and DC2. Who leaves with that on the table? Remember Calhoun couldn't leave after an NC because of the lure of a repeat, and he didn't have that core coming back.

So yes, I think everyone impacted has had to consider this. And it seems to me that both Hop may leave, and JB would see if GMac has the chops. Then when the time does come for JB to retire, SU can chose from bringing Hop back or promoting GMac.

I think if Hop does leave, SU should replace him with a good big man coach.

If TGD is still AD in this hypothetical scenario, I believe he will want a name coach. I think TGD viewed Hop as a special case, but won't have that same feeling for GMac.

Cheers,
Neil

If TGD is still AD in this hypothetical scenario, I believe he will want a name coach. I think TGD viewed Hop as a special case, but won't have that same feeling for GMac.

Cheers,
Neil
Neil, who's the boss, the AD or the Coach? I see what you're implying and it may be true, but I kinda picture Boeheim and Gross arm wrestling and Boeheim slamming his arm to the table!

I know Louis Orr is coaching at Bowling Green. If we go the route of former player would his name come up? Plus he was an assistant here in the 1990s if I'm not mistaken. On the flip side he is already 55, I don't know if I would want to hire a coach who could retire soon after he arrives.

Thoughts???
I am fine w Hop taking over because he is such a good recruiter and a high energy guy. But from a pure coaching perspective, look at the play of our forwards the last few yrs, look at the play of our guards the last few yrs, look at the play of our centers...who has done the best job bringing the young kids up at the position they are responsible for ......Red, Gmac or Hop?.....I have a feeling Gmac is going to make a great HC some day, prob Red too!

Cheers,
Neil
Didn't happen on last 2 FB hires. Just saying. Also, JB is underpaid by national standards. Would a name coach take less than the market.

Didn't happen on last 2 FB hires. Just saying. Also, JB is underpaid by national standards. Would a name coach take less than the market.

Didn't happen with Marrone supposedly because Holtz said 'No'. Word is TGD had to be convinced (some say pressured) to take a flyer on Marrone.

Then when Marrone left so late, there wasn't the time to do a full blown search.

As for market value, now that we are in the ACC, that is where some of the extra $$$ will go. Will we pay $3 million for Tuberville? Probably not. But I could see $2 million plus for next football coach, if Shafer doesn't work out. Same for basketball.

Cheers,
Neil

Didn't happen with Marrone supposedly because Holtz said 'No'. Word is TGD had to be convinced (some say pressured) to take a flyer on Marrone.

Then when Marrone left so late, there wasn't the time to do a full blown search.

As for market value, now that we are in the ACC, that is where some of the extra $$$ will go. Will we pay $3 million for Tuberville? Probably not. But I could see $2 million plus for next football coach, if Shafer doesn't work out. Same for basketball.

Cheers,
Neil

I don't see that happening. JBs salary is the watermark and we won't pay more. We are talking Syracuse, a small private school in CNY. The school cannot afford to pay $2M for a basketball coach. Those extra $$$ are already spent on the non revenue sports.

We need to figure out how to not let Hop leave. We've already invested too much in him to let him go. He is the succession plan.

I don't think that happening. JBs salary is the watermark and we won't pay more.

JB's salary is just below $2 million now and we have no idea what the incentive payouts in his contract are since private schools tend to keep those a secret. And that was with Big East money. When we start to see ACC $$$, I'd be very surprised not to see the reported salary raised to $2.25 to $2.5 million.

Cheers,
Neil

JB's salary is just below $2 million now and we have no idea what the incentive payouts in his contract are since private schools tend to keep those a secret. And that was with Big East money. When we start to see ACC $$$, I'd be very surprised not to see the reported salary raised to $2.25 to $2.5 million.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

I think the extra money you're taking about is already spent on non revenue sports.

I could be wrong...but really, JB won't get a huge raise. He's incredibly well off in Syracuse.

Neil,

I think the extra money you're taking about is already spent on non revenue sports.

I could be wrong...but really, JB won't get a huge raise. He's incredibly well off in Syracuse.

If he doesn't, it will because he himself chooses not to press the issue. If he were to even just a little, he'd get it.

As to your former point, I disagree. There is no way that money is already spent on the non-revenue sports. Not sure why so many fans on these boards seem to think it is.

Cheers,
Neil

If he doesn't, it will because he himself chooses not to press the issue. If he were to even just a little, he'd get it.

As to your former point, I disagree. There is no way that money is already spent on the non-revenue sports. Not sure why so many fans on these boards seem to think it is.

Cheers,
Neil

Because the athletic department is self funding. And, DG wants us to be competitive in all sports, not just BB and FB. Plus, it's in the University's best interest to not negotiate against itself. Should JB make a stink about salary, I would think the University would just As likely say no as to say yes. He is already the highest paid University employee..