A little help with colleges: I will be looking at schools | Syracusefan.com

A little help with colleges: I will be looking at schools

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
next week with my HS freshman, just to get a start. (His idea.) He wants to study genetic engineering. We will be looking at U Penn and Princeton. He does not want to stay in NY (at this time.) Anybody got any recomendations that are reasonable driving distance from Syracuse that won't kill the whole vacation? (I already told him that UCLA would have to be sight unseen, because I am not taking him out there for a visit.)

My daughter works for Princeton. They have tons of money. Ask about financial aid, as their policy is that nobody going to Princeton ever needs to get a college loan.

Johns Hopkins. 5 hours from Syracuse. Excellent engineering school.

Am I allowed to recommend Virginia Tech on this board? I really liked that campus. It is 10 hours, but there are a lot of good schools on that route.

Clarkson University - Excellent engineering school

Edit - oh wait you said outside of NY nevermind :oops:

William & Mary. Beautiful campus, historic area, close to the ocean, and highly rated.

My daughter works for Princeton. They have tons of money. Ask about financial aid, as their policy is that nobody going to Princeton ever needs to get a college loan.
I heard NJ residnets may soon get free (or almost free*) tuition soon?

ND must have a good generic engineering program. They've been cloning Harongody for years now.
Ask Duke about cloning. MP8 is on the way to Durham

plumlee-brothers.jpg

next week with my HS freshman, just to get a start. (His idea.) He wants to study genetic engineering. We will be looking at U Penn and Princeton. He does not want to stay in NY (at this time.) Anybody got any recomendations that are reasonable driving distance from Syracuse that won't kill the whole vacation? (I already told him that UCLA would have to be sight unseen, because I am not taking him out there for a visit.)

I know you said he is looking away from NY, but if you want to look at an in-state school for comparison, try Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy NY. Small school, but great tech & eng programs. Their bio-engineering program is supposed to be good.

Living in the midwest, I have a bunch of friends that are engineers from B10 schools. While it is incredibly annoying to hear about their research consortium, their programs really are very, very good. Michigan isnt THAT far. Outside of your travel zone, UChicago has a very good program (James Shapiro Research Center). Also, Wiscy's genetic engineering program is one of the best in the country (their strength, however, focuses on genetically-altered crops (disease/drought resistance)). UW's program gets big-time federal dollars since the benefits of their research directly impact the world's food supply/demand ratio.

I know you said he is looking away from NY, but if you want to look at an in-state school for comparison, try Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy NY. Small school, but great tech & eng programs. Their bio-engineering program is supposed to be good.
My pops is a proud RPI graduate. Very good engineering programs and a fun hockey program (well, not so much the last couple years).

Helo all my resident 'Cuse grads...did not Capt Tuttle say Genetic Engineering..that is a health science, not generic engineering...of Schools listed Johns Hopkins is very good...may want to look at
Recommendations near Syracuse:
Fredonia (NEW YORK State)
Univ Md
Johns Hopkins
Rutgers
Penn State

it also depends on whether we are looking at medical geneic engineering like for people or agriculture...that changes where you go...
Hopkins best for people
State univ for agriculture...

As an alum two words of advice: Cor nell
Weil Medical Center in NY is part of it plus the new research campus in NYC should be going by then.

Helo all my resident 'Cuse grads...did not Capt Tuttle say Genetic Engineering..that is a health science, not generic engineering...of Schools listed Johns Hopkins is very good...may want to look at
Univ Md
Johns Hopkins
Rutgers
Penn State

it also depends on whether we are looking at medical geneic engineering like for people or agriculture...that changes where you go...
Hopkins best for people
Is the RU program at New Brunswick or another campus

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

It's not even remotely my field, but I would think MIT warrants a look.

Univ Md
Johns Hopkins
Rutgers
Penn State

Hopkins best for people
like I said, Hopkins bro

Georgia Tech and MIT.

You would get to see Cuse play FB and BB in the former.

I'd also suggest Carnegie Mellon. Excellent school w/genetic engineering. And, Pittsburgh's really a nice city for college students.

I took my little brother (HS Junior) to see Georgia Tech while we were in Atlanta visiting family during winter break. Really nice school, and their engineering is top notch. Obviously that's a bit of a hike though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk