A Little Project I Have Been Working on Regarding Depth | Syracusefan.com

A Little Project I Have Been Working on Regarding Depth

anomander

Living Legend
Hey there. Does anybody know how to attach excel files? It is telling me i don't have an extension? Thanks.

I was all excited and ready to read your depth chart and then to be denied by technical issues...:(
Hope you get your answers soon anomander.

I am not sure if these outlets can be shared to everyone easily, but attaching the document to a google docs or dropbox, etc. site may allow you to just post a link where people can click on it to find the document. It is essentially a document sharing website.

It is true you can't attach Excel documents in posts on this board.

However, if you have an Excel spreadsheet you want to include in a post, you have a couple of options.

The site supports BB code, which includes support for tables. In theory, you could save your Excel spreadsheet as an html document, then copy and paste that html code, which should essentially be a table, into your post and voila, the data would be there, nicely formatted.

Unfortunately, you have to do some work to get the format changed to bb code standards. First thing is to replace all instances of < with [, then all instances of > with ]. BB code doesn't understand sizing, column spanning, and some other stuff you get when you turn an Excel spreadsheet into an html page, so you will have to remove that (I just used replace with nothing) or figure out what the BB code syntax is and use that.

The table below is what I got playing around for 5 minutes. It isn't pretty but it could be with a few more minutes of tweaking.

I think the easier path is to save your spreadsheet as a pdf file and attach that. The newest version of Excel has a save as option that allows you to do this directly. This is what I do with the NYS football prospect posts I make,

If you are working with an older version, you can use one of the free pdf conversion programs or if the data all fits on the screen at the same time, copy your Excel window into MS Paint and save it as a png, jpg or gif.

SU Football Depth Chart
Offense
QuarterbackDungey-SR
Running BackStrickland-SR
Outside WRN Johnson-SO
Outside WRButler-SR
Inside WRCustis-SR
Inside WRRiley-JR
Tight EndPierce-SR
Offensive TackleConway-SR
Offensive GuardRoberts-SR
CenterServais-SO
Offensive GuardHeckel-SO
Offensive TackleMartin-SR
Defense
Defensive EndRobinson-JR
Defensive TackleSlayton-SR
Nose TackleWilliams-JR
Defensive EndColeman-JR
LinebackerWhitner-SR
LinebackerGuthrie-SR
NickelCordy-SR
CornerbackFrederick-JR
CornerbackBradshaw-JR
Strong SafetyFoster-JR
Free SafetyCisco-FR

Last edited:
It is true you can't attach Excel documents in posts on this board.

However, if you have an Excel spreadsheet you want to include in a post, you have a couple of options.

The site supports BB code, which includes support for tables. In theory, you could save your Excel spreadsheet as an html document, then copy and paste that html code, which should essentially be a table, into your post and voila, the data would be there, nicely formatted.

Unfortunately, you have to do some work to get the format changed to bb code standards. First thing is to replace all instances of < with [, then all instances of > with ]. BB code doesn't understand sizing, column spanning, and some other stuff you get when you turn an Excel spreadsheet into an html page, so you will have to remove that (I just used replace with nothing) or figure out what the BB code syntax is and use that.

The table below is what I got playing around for 5 minutes. It isn't pretty but it could be with a few more minutes of tweaking.

I think the easier path is to save your spreadsheet as a pdf file and attach that. The newest version of Excel has a save as option that allows you to do this directly. This is what I do with the NYS football prospect posts I make,

If you are working with an older version, you can use one of the free pdf conversion programs or if the data all fits on the screen at the same time, copy your Excel window into MS Paint and save it as a png, jpg or gif.

SU Football Depth Chart

Offense

Quarterback

Dungey-SR

Running Back

Strickland-SR

Outside WR

N Johnson-SO

Outside WR

Butler-SR

Inside WR

Custis-SR

Inside WR

Riley-JR

Tight End

Pierce-SR

Offensive Tackle

Conway-SR

Offensive Guard

Roberts-SR

Center

Servais-SO

Offensive Guard

Heckel-SO

Offensive Tackle

Martin-SR

Defense

Defensive End

Robinson-JR

Defensive Tackle

Slayton-SR

Nose Tackle

Williams-JR

Defensive End

Coleman-JR

Linebacker

Whitner-SR

Linebacker

Guthrie-SR

Nickel

Cordy-SR

Cornerback

Frederick-JR

Cornerback

Bradshaw-JR

Strong Safety

Foster-JR

Free Safety

Cisco-FR

Thanks a lot Tom. I had originally tried to export it and save it as a pdf to upload, but it looked like some stuff was missing. I will play around with it later and see if I can get it attached. Thanks again!

Save your spreadsheet to Microsoft Office Online, then create a "view only" link to it.

Thanks a lot Tom. I had originally tried to export it and save it as a pdf to upload, but it looked like some stuff was missing. I will play around with it later and see if I can get it attached. Thanks again!
Just print to pdf. Way easier to format than exporting. CutePDF is a good free pdf printer available online that interfaces with excel nicely.

Unfortunately, i'm not going to get this to the work. It has several different tabs and i admittedly am not very tech savvy.

In short what I wanted to do was try to show the depth Babers has finally built into the program and how that extends out from 2018 - 2021. I used the starting point as the depth chart as we know it now, as well as some young guys were are hearing good things about, which should get them on the field. I also used worst case scenario. Meaning guys who haven't reached the public depth chart yet were kept as reserves. I also broke down that years recruiting needs, strengths, weaknesses, and overall conclusions. The one thing that stood out to me after doing this was a possible answer to what's going on in this years recruiting class. imo we have a lot of high risk, high rewards guys that are going to need some development. The way the depth chart looks now, with so many young guys locked into positions for years, it allowed Dino to take some chances on high upside kids he has seen in person. Other than a few positions we don't really need immediate impact recruits, which are tough to get anyways.

If anybody has any interest in seeing my spreadsheet and want to talk about some of the opinions I have feel free to DM me and I can email you what I did.

Unfortunately, i'm not going to get this to the work. It has several different tabs and i admittedly am not very tech savvy.

In short what I wanted to do was try to show the depth Babers has finally built into the program and how that extends out from 2018 - 2021. I used the starting point as the depth chart as we know it now, as well as some young guys were are hearing good things about, which should get them on the field. I also used worst case scenario. Meaning guys who haven't reached the public depth chart yet were kept as reserves. I also broke down that years recruiting needs, strengths, weaknesses, and overall conclusions. The one thing that stood out to me after doing this was a possible answer to what's going on in this years recruiting class. imo we have a lot of high risk, high rewards guys that are going to need some development. The way the depth chart looks now, with so many young guys locked into positions for years, it allowed Dino to take some chances on high upside kids he has seen in person. Other than a few positions we don't really need immediate impact recruits, which are tough to get anyways.

If anybody has any interest in seeing my spreadsheet and want to talk about some of the opinions I have feel free to DM me and I can email you what I did.

I'm very interested -- the reconstruction of the roster / depth chart [now, and on a go-forward basis] under Babers and staff has been fascinating -- would love to see what you've worked on.

Everyone try this link:

Let me know if you have any issues with it.

Looks great. Thanks a bunch!!

Again, i based my roster construction based on worse case scenario. I actually think our depth will be even better than it looks now. If a quarter of the current group that is redshirting and redshirt freshman turn into contributors this will make it look that much better.

Looks great. Thanks a bunch!!

Again, i based my roster construction based on worse case scenario. I actually think our depth will be even better than it looks now. If a quarter of the current group that is redshirting and redshirt freshman turn into contributors this will make it look that much better.

You are welcome!

Went back to find this from anomander to try to get a feel of the future depth charts with the new commits. Thought others on the board might be interested in doing the same. Thanks again for doing this Ano!

Just use google sheets in the future and just make it public, and share the link

Went back to find this from anomander to try to get a feel of the future depth charts with the new commits. Thought others on the board might be interested in doing the same. Thanks again for doing this Ano!

I came across this link in one of the PS articles yesterday and found it helpful. Saved it since it looks like it will continue to update.

Scholarship Chart

I came across this link in one of the PS articles yesterday and found it helpful. Saved it since it looks like it will continue to update.

Scholarship Chart

Tisdale is a sophomore? That's what the link says. Interesting.

would be interesting to see how this looks now in 2020, as I agree with Bears dad... depth is continuing to improve. It may not show at the moment watching games but it is.

would be interesting to see how this looks now in 2020, as I agree with Bears dad... depth is continuing to improve. It may not show at the moment watching games but it is.
Google Doc is still active you can always update it ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom