A Look at Stats to Date | Syracusefan.com

A Look at Stats to Date

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
We are far enough through the season that the stats are starting to be really meaningful.

Some thoughts...

Quincy is leading the team in scoring with 15.7 ppg. Who would have thought that? Alan and Buddy are just behind. Looks like it will be a 3 man race for leading scorer honors.

We have all 5 starters currently in double figures. If Sid were healthy, we would likely have 6 players averaging double figures. Kadary isn’t that far off either. When was the last time we had all 5 starters average double figures? When is the last time we had 6 players average double figures? Good to see.

We have three players tied for the team lead in blocks with 8. First, it is pretty shocking that our leading shot blocker is only averaging a block a game. Second, one of those players is Kadary. Unbelievable that Kadary is tied for the team lead in blocks playing guard and not playing a ton of minutes.

Similar situation in steals. Kadary leads with 20. JGIII is second with 17. Amazing achievement for a player who is playing a lot less minutes than the starters.

Marek leads the team in average minutes played with 35.3. Buddy is second with 34.5. JGIII, Alan and Q all have right about 32. I think Marek will drop behind Buddy if Sidibe ever starts playing again. One thing that has historically prevented Marek from playing big minutes is foul trouble. He is actually second on the team in personal fouls right now...Quincy is leading him by 2. I would say that is a big surprise. Sidibe is normally a sound bet to finish 1st or 2nd in this category. So far, Kadary is averaging 23.0.

Our leading 3 point shooters so far are Quincy and Woody. They are tied at 42.9%. Pretty impressive. Pretty shocking. Buddy has struggled greatly and is only at 27.9%. The long absence due to the COVID quarantine surely played a role in this. Alan is at 35.9% and JGIII is at 34.4%. A little disappointed with Alan so far on this, pretty happy with JGIII’s improvement here.

Quincy leads the team in FTs by a good margin (a measure of fouls drawn) with 47. Marek has 34 and Kadary has 31. Quite impressive given his relative lack of playing time,

JGIII leads the team in assists with 41. Marek is doing great here for a big with 36. Kadary has 31, which is solid for his minutes played.

In rebounds, Quincy leads the team with an average of 9.3 per game. Alan is doing well with 7.3 and Marek is struggling some with 6.3. Kadary is fourth on the team in rebounds per game with 3.8. Again, the kid has a way of stuffing a box score.

Alan leads the team in turnovers with 26. Alarming for a guy who doesn’t handle the ball much. JGIII has 25, which is solid for a starting PG. Marek is third on the team with 22. The offense often runs through him so this isn’t awful. But it could be better.

Gonna be interesting when Bourama comes back. I hope it happens soon. We could use him against UNC.

I mean... the takeaway is that Kadary does everything but shoot a high percentage from outside, and many of those things better than anyone on the team.

Exactly this.

Which is amazing, given he plays less than half the minutes of the starters.

Also - I disagree w Marek’s rebounding being called “struggling”.
A - he’s not a 5
B - he’s got 2 elite rebounders in Q & AG on the floor with him 90+% of the time.

Everybody is pining for a C like AO or Otis Hill.
Big, burly, hold down the middle, rebound.

AO’s career rebounding average was 6.1.
Otis’ was 5.4.
Marek is at 6.3 for this season to date
AO stats
Otis Hill stats

I think this shows what a player we have in Kadary in the future. Which is great news for the Syracuse basketball program as a whole.

honestly, the stats aren’t as bad as I was expecting.

I mean... the takeaway is that Kadary does everything but shoot a high percentage from outside, and many of those things better than anyone on the team.
By that logic Kadary can’t shoot so
he shouldn’t play then Ben Simmons is a terrible NBA player.

Kadary is 2 for 13 from 3.
He is taking less than 2 attempts per game.
For the record Buddy is only shooting 27.9% from 3 maybe he should shoot less as well.

Also look at the better stat of Player efficiency rating( PER) this evaluates everything a player does.
An average basketball player gets PER of 15.0 and it calculated based on every minute you play and the score of the games while you play. So garbage time is factored in.

C52D5C7F-8A73-4034-9F64-2CCADB4C9978.jpeg
[/QUOTE]

I think it shows what a player we have in Kadary right now. He should never play less than half the game every time out.
You don't think opposing coaches have this stat sheet? Why wouldn't they play soft D on him and try to force him to shoot the 3?

You don't think opposing coaches have this stat sheet? Why wouldn't they play soft D on him and try to force him to shoot the 3?
They would. And they will pay sooner than later.

Because he can actually beat his opponent off the dribble with ease.
Penetration gets other players open shots.
Soft D means playing off the ball, making it very difficult to drive past a defender, especially the much better defenders he will see in the ACC league games. I'd have to see his mid-range shooting percentage, but it probably drops as he gets further from the rim. He finishes in the paint very well, I think that's where the majority of his points have come from. He gives a lot of energy on D and his legs probably aren't quite use to it yet which is hurting his jump shot, which is why he is riding the bike during the game.

Soft D means playing off the ball, making it very difficult to drive past a defender, especially the much better defenders he will see in the ACC league games. I'd have to see his mid-range shooting percentage, but it probably drops as he gets further from the rim. He finishes in the paint very well, I think that's where the majority of his points have come from. He gives a lot of energy on D and his legs probably aren't quite use to it yet which is hurting his jump shot, which is why he is riding the bike during the game.
You realize in the Pitt game when Kadary was playing in the second half with Joe that JG was running point and Kadary was in the corner.
In what universe did that make sense.
When KR plays he should have the ball in his hands. If JG was in the corner then maybe he gets those corner 3’s.

KR is not Brycen Goodine on offense. He hasn’t started the season making 3’s but his offensive efficiency has been solid. He has found ways to help.

He is our best PG.

It’s pointless to complain I am realizing so enough on this. The stats i posted above show how our players have played thus far.

So none of the starters have offensive weaknesses that the opposing coaches are aware of?

Noted.
That's a glaring weakness. Maybe the coaching staff is trying to protect him some until he gets stronger instead of putting him in a pressure position where he could make mistakes and his confidence could be hurt.

We had a truncated pre-season. Looks like they are bringing him along slowly. I’m no JB apologist but I’m willing to trust the staff. Hopefully Richmond’s role expands as the season goes on.

Lean on the vets early, get in the tourney. Hope our younger guys develop enough to give us what JB feels we need. Make some noise in the tourney. I’d probably be happy with that this year.

Exactly this.

Which is amazing, given he plays less than half the minutes of the starters.

Also - I disagree w Marek’s rebounding being called “struggling”.
A - he’s not a 5
B - he’s got 2 elite rebounders in Q & AG on the floor with him 90+% of the time.

Everybody is pining for a C like AO or Otis Hill.
Big, burly, hold down the middle, rebound.

AO’s career rebounding average was 6.1.
Otis’ was 5.4.
Marek is at 6.3 for this season to date
AO stats
Otis Hill stats
Disagree with your definition of elite. Quincy is close to elite. When he gets to where he is averaging in double figures for rebounds, I would call him elite.

Marek isn't remotely close. That is not to say he isn't a good player and I think he is a good, not great rebounder when he plays forward. But he is a liability rebounding playing in the middle. That said, props to him for having one of his best rebounding days against the Hoyas.
Of course, he was playing mostly against forwards, which made it easier for him.

Think a couple of things are going on above and beyond JB's stubborn insistence on never playing the bench.
1) I think he has been good and needs double digit minutes every game. However I also think we have put Kadary on a higher level than he has earned. He needs minutes as his D offsets his shooting woes, but there are games where Joe and Buddy is better than Kadary and whoever. We need all 3 guards and just fear JB will JB Kadary to no time.
2) I think JB knows that this year especially every win is going to be a dogfight and we will need every win we can scrape together. That makes his short bench tendency even greater.
3) I think our strength and conditioning is being further exposed by the Covid breaks. Cardio goes when you take long breaks but strength should hold up better and I see no evidence, that Marek, Braswell, Ajok or anyone else on the program has gotten stronger during their time here.

He does a lot of things well.

That said, if you pay attention to the games, you can see there is film out there on Kadary and it is affecting the way teams are playing him. Teams are leaving him alone on the perimeter, filling in the paint, taking away his ability to drive and daring him to shoot.

This makes it harder for our offense to work as designed. It is harder to get the ball inside, it is harder for players to slash to the basket, etc. Marek and Quincy can get the ball in the paint and get great looks when we pair them with 3 shooters because teams are so concerned with keeping those shooters covered.

College basketball is all about adjustments, and reacting when teams start to take things away from you. JB kept the shooters in because that lineup made it a lot harder for Georgetown to defend Syracuse.

Kadary will get a lot more run in games where SU is getting more transition baskets. I think if Sidibe comes back and establishes himself as a low post threat, it will likely lead to more PT for Kadary as well, as he appears to be our best guard at making entry passes to the post.

Hoping the UNC game is a wild, high scoring, run and gun game. They tend to play that style. If it goes that way, I think Richmond is going to end up with a lot more playing time.

Think a couple of things are going on above and beyond JB's stubborn insistence on never playing the bench.
1) I think he has been good and needs double digit minutes every game. However I also think we have put Kadary on a higher level than he has earned. He needs minutes as his D offsets his shooting woes, but there are games where Joe and Buddy is better than Kadary and whoever. We need all 3 guards and just fear JB will JB Kadary to no time.
2) I think JB knows that this year especially every win is going to be a dogfight and we will need every win we can scrape together. That makes his short bench tendency even greater.
3) I think our strength and conditioning is being further exposed by the Covid breaks. Cardio goes when you take long breaks but strength should hold up better and I see no evidence, that Marek, Braswell, Ajok or anyone else on the program has gotten stronger during their time here.
If we have elite players not playing the bench isn’t the issue.
Hakim Warrick should play the whole game.
CJ Fair should play the whole game.
MCW etc.

That isn’t the issue.
To your second point, what was the last season every game wasn’t a dogfight to get wins?
That point doesn’t mean anything.
If we are going to grind to mediocre when does it end? When is the team good enough to be a good team the entire season?
It’s going to rinse, repeat and wash.

If the expectations for the program need to be recalibrated I will recalibrate I won’t pretend we are supposed to be a really good program.

MCW etc.

That isn’t the issue.
To your second point, what was the last season every game wasn’t a dogfight to get wins?
If we are going to grind to mediocre when does it end? When is the team good enough to be a good team the entire season?

If the expectations for the program need to be recalibrated I will recalibrate I won’t pretend we are supposed to be a really good program.
You're the man - don't think I addressed any of that but..... and for the record you are not alone in calling out the state of the program. Your last paragraph evoked an image of you alone with an SU flag at Iwo Jima.

MCW etc.

That isn’t the issue.

If Sidibe didn't get injured, the team would likely be 9-0 right now. Don't let that affect your agenda to attack Coach Boeheim.

If Sidibe didn't get injured, the team would likely be 9-0 right now. Don't let that affect your agenda to attack Coach Boeheim.
Or maybe I am looking at the stats and asking why the most effective guard in a 3 guard rotation is playing the least.

It’s not like the guards playing more are having great seasons.

You take not being a mindless worshiper as an attacker. I love JB and think he is a HOF coach. I also don’t think he is above criticism. The program trajectory isn’t exactly above question.

Lol.
If I'm coaching against a team that has a guy shooting .154 from 3, I tell my players to make him shoot. Sag back, let him have open looks, shade to the other players. Not some super advanced coaching strategy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom