A new look at conf realignment | Syracusefan.com

A new look at conf realignment

Clicks link...
Article written by Pat Forde...
UMc0.gif

;)

"Will it happen? Nah. But it’s fun to think about and argue about."

Fun to ponder. Won't happen, money for defences will not share revenue.

Serious question: How did Rutgers land a place in Forde's new alignment? They should be bounced from football. Period.

Slow news time.

Play 11 conference games and get 1 OOC game. Okay.

If he wants to have fun with this and try a scenario that people might actually enjoy reading (with increased access for teams and a realistic schedule approach) he should try an 8 X 10 model.

They could even keep the conf championship games. They’d all be rematches but who cares.

That should be our geographical conference if we're being honest with our neighbors. It would suit our ability to compete against most of the teams on any given year, Penn St notwithstanding.

Obviously money would prevent this but i do think with covid 19, colleges are going to look at how they do business. Look at the NESCAC shutting down sports next year, school by school. I suspect D3 could just go club sport route at some point.

I think the entire industry is ripe for a huge revamp

Didn't UConn start out in the Yankee Conference like 70 years ago?

SU, BC, UMASS, UB, Temple, Pitt, Cincy, WVU, Lville, ODU for all sports. Uconn and Navy, football only.

I’d like SU to be in an all-sports conference that makes more geographic sense.

I’d like SU to be in an all-sports conference day that competes at the highest levels of every sport.

Sadly, squaring these two desires is impossible with only northeast schools.

Personally, the answer may be to do away with all sports conferences. There’s really no need for SU to be playing schools in the Deep South for non-revenue sports. And vice versa. There are plenty of schools in the northeast that are viable to align with.

I would want to see that just to watch ND Fans’ heads explode. Actually I wouldn’t like it. We were in a conference with UCon once, never want to do that $#|* again.

I hope they call it something different than “yankee”. Some people might be offended

That should be our geographical conference if we're being honest with our neighbors. It would suit our ability to compete against most of the teams on any given year, Penn St notwithstanding.

Obviously money would prevent this but i do think with covid 19, colleges are going to look at how they do business. Look at the NESCAC shutting down sports next year, school by school. I suspect D3 could just go club sport route at some point.

I think the entire industry is ripe for a huge revamp
IMHO, 8x8 is ideal. The 65th team doesn’t have a strong case to be included, an 8 team playoff is great, and an 8 team conference race is a lot of fun.

SU should be in the same conference as BC, Pitt, WVU, ND, UMD, PSU, and Miami/VT.

Most games would be meaningful, the quality of play would be great, and the conference would be reasonably competitive. ND and PSU would be elite, and everyone else would fight for #3 (or to break into the club with a lucky year). Ohio, PA, NJ, DMV, and VA/FL would provide good recruiting, and NYC-Boston-DC would provide good venues for alumni.

This is what happens when you are quarantined, a college professor in the summer, and your kids are in bed. I also think Pat Forde is a poor writer who mails it in on his best of days, so I wanted to come up with something that was better than his BS excuse for conference realignment.

I reveal to you now the 8x10 conference realignment that consists of 80 teams. No team except for Oklahoma and UCLA travels more than 1,000 miles for any conference game. Even that game only checks in at 1100 miles. Since those two teams hold that special bond, we will call their annual game against one another ‘The Steinbeck Bowl’.

That’s not too bad when you consider that West Virginia is traveling close to 1,000 miles for just about every conference game in the Big 12.

Here is a link to the Google map I created that lays out the geography for each conference.

This would allow there to be a college playoff of 8 or 16 teams with 8 auto qualifiers if they win their league (no more league championship games).

I like the idea of 8 qualifiers and either 4 or 8 wild cards. 8 might be too many, but there are some conferences in this realignment that would be stacked and would deserve three teams in the playoff.

Anyway, here are the conferences laid out in geographic order from East to West. Let’s start in the Northeast.

The Yankee Conference
  • Syracuse
  • Boston College
  • Pittsburgh
  • Army
  • Temple
  • Rutgirls
  • Ped. St.
  • Navy
  • Maryland
  • West Virginia
So, West Virginia would probably fit better in a southern conference, but their biggest rival is Pitt and that game should be an annual event. I also had to have dividing lines somewhere and they were geographically the best fit. While not closer to Boston College than UVA, it works historically and the difference in mileage between BC and West Virginia and BC and UVA is only about 150 miles.

Sadly I felt the need to keep Rutgirls in the 8x10 but had no problem kicking UConn out. They don't plan on having a conference for football and are instead being driven by basketball, then they can drop down a level.

This is the conference I would dream of having.

The Moonshine Bourbon Conference
  • Virginia
  • Virginia Tech
  • Marshall
  • Wake Forest
  • North Carolina
  • NC St.
  • Duke
  • Kentucky
  • Vanderbilt
  • Clemson
This conference might be more fun for basketball than football. Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and Virginia. Wow. That’s a loaded basketball conference. It also holds together some old rivalries and would probably create a couple of new ones. Marshall might be a wild card here for football if they were in an auto qualifier football conference who knows what could happen for them.

I originally had Tennessee here, but it historically fits better in the Bible Belt Conference.

The Southern Comfort Conference
  • Miami
  • Central Florida
  • South Florida
  • Florida
  • Florida State
  • South Carolina
  • Georgia
  • Georgia Tech
  • Auburn
  • Alabama
Wow. This conference will probably be the best one for football. It is loaded. I love it because it also forces the uppity Florida schools to play the directionals on the field every year. I cannot imagine the football wars that would happen in this conference but it would certainly be fun and lively.

The Medium Ten Conference
  • Northwestern
  • Notre Dame
  • Michigan St.
  • Michigan
  • Illinois
  • Purdue
  • Ohio State
  • Indiana
  • Cincinnati
  • Louisville
Finally, the Big 10 has come back to having ten teams! Lots of fantastic games here that would completely energize these fan bases. Cincy and Louisville get a HUGE boost for being in the new Big 10. They will automatically be better than Indiana and Illinois, which is a lot more than you can say for Rutgirls.

The Bible Belt Conference
  • Tennessee
  • Ole Miss
  • Mississippi St.
  • Tulane
  • LSU
  • TCU
  • Baylor
  • Texas A&M
  • Houston
  • Texas
This conference is an amalgam of the SEC, and Big 12 with some Tulane and Houston thrown in there. Houston is a solid team, but Tulane would struggle mightily. I debated about kicking Tulane out of the 8x10 for Rice, but Texas already has enough teams and I hold a soft spot in my heart for New Orleans.

Vandy was originally here but I changed it based on a solid recommendation from 'ForCuseSake'. This makes Tennessee's path a lot tougher than it was in The Moonshine & Bourbon Conference but thy just fit better here given the teams in the conference.

The Fly Over States Conference (AKA the Corn Fed Conference, AKA The Fried Twinkie Conference)
  • Minnesota
  • Wisconsin
  • Iowa
  • Iowa State
  • Nebraska
  • Missouri
  • Kansas
  • Kansas St.
  • Arkansas
  • Oklahoma State
I love this conference because I feel like the populations in these areas are very representative of one another. They would have a lot more in common than their passion for their football. It may not be the most talented football conference top to bottom but there are some sneaky good teams there. Wisconsin would hate being ripped out of the Big 10, but they have a fairly easy path to the playoff each year.

This would also be a pretty fun basketball conference. Although any basketball conference with Nebraska in it shouldn’t really be considered “pretty fun.” I digress.

The Grapes of Wrath Conference
  • Oklahoma
  • Texas Tech
  • Air Force
  • Colorado State
  • Colorado
  • Arizona
  • Arizona State
  • BYU
  • Utah
  • UCLA
This was the most difficult conference to put together. My first and overarching theme was contracting conferences geographically because of the new world we’re living in. This conference is the most geographically disparate, but I think it could be a fun one.

The biggest problem for me here was separating two great college rivalries: Oklahoma-Ok. State, and UCLA-USC. With that said, all teams will have three OOC games a year and could certainly keep those games on the schedule each year. It also allows them to have a game very close to home that would offset the travel that UCLA and Oklahoma would have to make going to each other each year.

Oklahoma should be pleased overall though as they have a veritable cakewalk to the playoff each year.

The Surfer & Logger Conference
  • USC
  • Fresno St.
  • Stanford
  • Cal
  • Nevada
  • Oregon
  • Oregon St.
  • Washington
  • Washington St.
  • Boise St.
One of the fun parts of this exercise was seeing the new kind of rivalries that could pop up. I love that Boise State, Fresno State, and Nevada each have a chance to play teams that would rarely play them at home let alone on the road.

I would 100% stay up until 2 in the morning for Fresno State vs. Cal for instance.

---

So there you have it, the ultimate conference realignment that will never happen, but probably should. Teams would save money on travel and be more engaged because they are playing almost always against teams in their region. I know personally I would much rather play Penn State each year than Wake Forest. Maybe that’s just me.

Last edited:
I’d like SU to be in an all-sports conference that makes more geographic sense.

I’d like SU to be in an all-sports conference day that competes at the highest levels of every sport.

Sadly, squaring these two desires is impossible with only northeast schools.

Personally, the answer may be to do away with all sports conferences. There’s really no need for SU to be playing schools in the Deep South for non-revenue sports. And vice versa. There are plenty of schools in the northeast that are viable to align with.

I always laugh at how insecure some of
You are about our sporting neighbors. We should be in a conf w Rutgers UConn and Umass. Why this offends some is bonkers. We will be good or bad not because of some perceived prop up of our fellow neighbors by association. Playing NC State yearly is really illogical.

ACC was a marriage of financial necessity but it never ever made logical sense.

Scooch is right, the entire thing has become perverted when our non revs are down south playing a sport that won’t add to bottom line.

my gut says this will all be altered again in my lifetime. Schools are looking for nickels and dimes to save money to preserve tennis and other sports of minimal revenue. We aren’t alone here

This is what happens when you are quarantined, a college professor in the summer, and your kids are in bed. I also think Pat Forde is a poor writer who mails it in on his best of days, so I wanted to come up with something that was better than his BS excuse for conference realignment.

I reveal to you now the 8x10 conference realignment that consists of 80 teams. No team except for Oklahoma and UCLA travels more than 1,000 miles for any conference game. Even that game only checks in at 1100 miles. Since those two teams hold that special bond, we will call their annual game against one another ‘The Steinbeck Bowl’.

That’s not too bad when you consider that West Virginia is traveling close to 1,000 miles for just about every conference game in the Big 12.

Here is a link to the Google map I created that lays out the geography for each conference.

This would allow there to be a college playoff of 8 or 16 teams with 8 auto qualifiers if they win their league (no more league championship games).

I like the idea of 8 qualifiers and either 4 or 8 wild cards. 8 might be too many, but there are some conferences in this realignment that would be stacked and would deserve three teams in the playoff.

Anyway, here are the conferences laid out in geographic order from East to West. Let’s start in the Northeast.

The Yankee Conference
  • Syracuse
  • Boston College
  • Pittsburgh
  • Army
  • Temple
  • Rutgirls
  • Ped. St.
  • Navy
  • Maryland
  • West Virginia
So, West Virginia would probably fit better in a southern conference, but their biggest rival is Pitt and that game should be an annual event. I also had to have dividing lines somewhere and they were geographically the best fit. While not closer to Boston College than UVA, it works historically and the difference in mileage between BC and West Virginia and BC and UVA is only about 150 miles.

Sadly I felt the need to keep Rutgirls in the 8x10 but had no problem kicking UConn out. They don't plan on having a conference for football and are instead being driven by basketball, then they can drop down a level.

• Virginia
  • Virginia Tech
  • Marshall
  • Wake Forest
  • North Carolina
  • NC St.
  • Duke
  • Kentucky
  • Tennessee
  • Clemson
This conference might be more fun for basketball than football. Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and Virginia. Wow. That’s a loaded basketball conference. It also holds together some old rivalries and would probably create a couple of new ones. Marshall might be a wild card here for football if they were in an auto qualifier football conference who knows what could happen for them.

Tennessee loses its SEC affiliation but honestly, their path to the playoff is potentially easier than it was in the SEC.

• Miami
  • Central Florida
  • South Florida
  • Florida
  • Florida State
  • South Carolina
  • Georgia
  • Georgia Tech
  • Auburn
  • Alabama
Wow. This conference will probably be the best one for football. It is loaded. I love it because it also forces the uppity Florida schools to play the directionals on the field every year. I cannot imagine the football wars that would happen in this conference but it would certainly be fun and lively.

• Northwestern
  • Notre Dame
  • Michigan St.
  • Michigan
  • Illinois
  • Purdue
  • Ohio State
  • Indiana
  • Cincinnati
  • Louisville
Finally, the Big 10 has come back to having ten teams! Lots of fantastic games here that would completely energize these fan bases. Cincy and Louisville get a HUGE boost for being in the new Big 10. They will automatically be better than Indiana and Illinois, which is a lot more than you can say for Rutgirls.

• Vanderbilt
  • Ole Miss
  • Mississippi St.
  • Tulane
  • LSU
  • TCU
  • Baylor
  • Texas A&M
  • Houston
  • Texas
This conference is an amalgam of the SEC, and Big 12 with some Tulane and Houston thrown in there. Houston is a solid team, but Tulane would struggle mightily. I debated about kicking Tulane out of the 8x10 for Rice, but Texas already has enough teams and I hold a soft spot in my heart for New Orleans.

The Fly Over States Conference (AKA the Corn Fed Conference, AKA The Fried Twinkie Conference)
  • Minnesota
  • Wisconsin
  • Iowa
  • Iowa State
  • Nebraska
  • Missouri
  • Kansas
  • Kansas St.
  • Arkansas
  • Oklahoma State
I love this conference because I feel like the populations in these areas are very representative of one another. They would have a lot more in common than their passion for their football. It may not be the most talented football conference top to bottom but there are some sneaky good teams there. Wisconsin would hate being ripped out of the Big 10, but they have a fairly easy path to the playoff each year.

This would also be a pretty fun basketball conference. Although any basketball conference with Nebraska in it shouldn’t really be considered “pretty fun.” I digress.

• Oklahoma
  • Texas Tech
  • Air Force
  • Colorado State
  • Colorado
  • Arizona
  • Arizona State
  • BYU
  • Utah
  • UCLA
This was the most difficult conference to put together. My first and overarching theme was contracting conferences geographically because of the new world we’re living in. This conference is the most geographically disparate, but I think it could be a fun one.

The biggest problem for me here was separating two great college rivalries: Oklahoma-Ok. State, and UCLA-USC. With that said, all teams will have three OOC games a year and could certainly keep those games on the schedule each year. It also allows them to have a game very close to home that would offset the travel that UCLA and Oklahoma would have to make going to each other each year.

Oklahoma should be pleased overall though as they have a veritable cakewalk to the playoff each year.

• USC
  • Fresno St.
  • Stanford
  • Cal
  • Nevada
  • Oregon
  • Oregon St.
  • Washington
  • Washington St.
  • Boise St.
One of the fun parts of this exercise was seeing the new kind of rivalries that could pop up. I love that Boise State, Fresno State, and Nevada each have a chance to play teams that would rarely play them at home let alone on the road.

I would 100% stay up until 2 in the morning for Fresno State vs. Cal for instance.

---

So there you have it, the ultimate conference realignment that will never happen, but probably should. Teams would save money on travel and be more engaged because they are playing almost always against teams in their region. I know personally I would much rather play Penn State each year than Wake Forest. Maybe that’s just me.

Swap Vandy & Tennessee and I think you nailed it (although I don’t know if location forced your hand).

Enjoyed your conference nicknames and agree with everything else.

Swap Vandy & Tennessee and I think you nailed it (although I don’t know if location forced your hand).

Enjoyed your conference nicknames and agree with everything else.
It's interesting that you zeroed in on that one because I had a tough time placing Vanderbilt.
I think you're right that while not as geographically close as Tennessee they are a better fit in the Moonshine & Bourbon Conference. As a matter of fact, you've convinced me. I'm updating the original post to note the change.

All in favor? Aye. Opposed? Hearing no opposition, let it be written let it be so!

IMHO, 8x8 is ideal. The 65th team doesn’t have a strong case to be included, an 8 team playoff is great, and an 8 team conference race is a lot of fun.

SU should be in the same conference as BC, Pitt, WVU, ND, UMD, PSU, and Miami/VT.

Most games would be meaningful, the quality of play would be great, and the conference would be reasonably competitive. ND and PSU would be elite, and everyone else would fight for #3 (or to break into the club with a lucky year). Ohio, PA, NJ, DMV, and VA/FL would provide good recruiting, and NYC-Boston-DC would provide good venues for alumni.

I think if anything it have to be 8X9 for a couple reasons.

1. It’s easier politically and PR wise to add access than it is to remove it.

2. Assuming we still have 12 game schedules, schools would lobby to only have to schedule 4 OOC games vs 5.

I think the regional idea fails (mostly for us) in the northeast because NYS, MA, CT, RI, VT, NH, ME just aren’t HS football states at all. Solve that problem, at least in NYS, and the northeast could flourish.

Try this on for size:
DustinsPower6.png

see also Realignment by Dustin

The map is hard to read, but Cincinnati is our 12th.

I disagree with his divisions ... WVU should be in the North (with Pitt, PSU, Rutgers, SU, BC), and Maryland should be in the South (with Cinci, UVa, VT, WF, App St).

I think if anything it have to be 8X9 for a couple reasons.

1. It’s easier politically and PR wise to add access than it is to remove it.

2. Assuming we still have 12 game schedules, schools would lobby to only have to schedule 4 OOC games vs 5.

I think the regional idea fails (mostly for us) in the northeast because NYS, MA, CT, RI, VT, NH, ME just aren’t HS football states at all. Solve that problem, at least in NYS, and the northeast could flourish.
1. There are 65 power schools as is. Drop RU, and you have your 64. Give them a special payout, and I doubt they will complain about not getting their faces kicked in by tOSU, Michigan, PSU, and MSU every year. On the other side of the equation, the benefit from virtually every school playing mostly meaningful games + schedule flexibility more than offsets whatever RU’s price would be.

[ACC 14 + SEC 14 + B1G 14 + B12 10 + Pac 12 + ND 1 = 65]

2. More OOC games means more home games for big programs, and it means more schedule flexibility for everyone else. They’re a no way they’d push to limit it (esp the schools with OOC commitments - UF/FSU, UGA/GT, USC&Stanford/ND, etc.)

-NE: NJ, PA, DMV all produce talent. Sure, there isn’t a Texas, Florida, Georgia, California, or Louisiana, but there is enough talent to support good programs, and PSU and ND can recruit nationally.

The Yankee Conference
  • Syracuse
  • Boston College
  • Pittsburgh
  • Army
  • Temple
  • Rutgirls
  • Ped. St.
  • Navy
  • Maryland
  • West Virginia

• Virginia
  • Virginia Tech
  • Marshall
  • Wake Forest
  • North Carolina
  • NC St.
  • Duke
  • Kentucky
  • Vanderbilt
  • Clemson

I originally had Tennessee here, but it historically fits better in the Bible Belt Conference.

• Miami
  • Central Florida
  • South Florida
  • Florida
  • Florida State
  • South Carolina
  • Georgia
  • Georgia Tech
  • Auburn
  • Alabama

• Northwestern
  • Notre Dame
  • Michigan St.
  • Michigan
  • Illinois
  • Purdue
  • Ohio State
  • Indiana
  • Cincinnati
  • Louisville

• Tennessee
  • Ole Miss
  • Mississippi St.
  • Tulane
  • LSU
  • TCU
  • Baylor
  • Texas A&M
  • Houston
  • Texas

Vandy was originally here but I changed it based on a solid recommendation from 'ForCuseSake'. This makes Tennessee's path a lot tougher than it was in The Moonshine & Bourbon Conference but thy just fit better here given the teams in the conference.

• Minnesota
  • Wisconsin
  • Iowa
  • Iowa State
  • Nebraska
  • Missouri
  • Kansas
  • Kansas St.
  • Arkansas
  • Oklahoma State

• Oklahoma
  • Texas Tech
  • Air Force
  • Colorado State
  • Colorado
  • Arizona
  • Arizona State
  • BYU
  • Utah
  • UCLA

• USC
  • Fresno St.
  • Stanford
  • Cal
  • Nevada
  • Oregon
  • Oregon St.
  • Washington
  • Washington St.
  • Boise St.

---

This HAS to happen, if for no other reason than the conference names. :cool:

Kudos.