a personal observation from last night | Syracusefan.com

a personal observation from last night

stuckinbig11

All American
I went to the game with an old friend from my college years long ago who is now an optometrist in Geneva. On the drive to the game, he asked who was my favorite player on this year's team. My answer was confirmed some time in the second half when I realized that I am much more excited when Trevor Cooney is on the floor. I guess it could be described as anticipation. Although I surely enjoy the whole game, anticipating his next made 3 always has me on the edge of my seat.

Gosh, remember not long ago when there was some talk about whether Cooney would ever pan out and that he was perhaps even a lost cause. Those days, so close behind, now seem so long ago. Thank goodness. So next time the kid has a bad game, it's just the way it is. Here's to TC for his patience, practice, perseverance, and passion.

Gosh, remember not long ago when there was some talk about whether Cooney would ever pan out and that he was perhaps even a lost cause. Those days, so close behind, now seem so long ago. Thank goodness. So next time the kid has a bad game, it's just the way it is. Here's to TC for his patience, practice, perseverance, and passion.
That talk never came from me. I said three years ago that he was the most important recruit in his class. I hope he keeps on proving it.

With you fellas. My favorite player on the team right now. Excited and pretty positive it's going in when I see him shoot the ball.
I was mildly disappointed when his last 3-attempt last night did not go in. He had just made one, and a repeat would have brought the house down.

That talk never came from me. I said three years ago that he was the most important recruit in his class. I hope he keeps on proving it.
No, I never meant that it did. But being a TC fan yourself and not a TC-come-lately fan, you well know there used to be some talk to this effect.

We can't help but root for him because of how hard he's worked and how long he's taken to get to where he is. First, red shirt. Second, highly anticipated debut. A "flop." Imagine what that was like for him! And then you hear the stories of his work ethic. We saw what happened to him after that terrible foul where his head crashed against ... against ... damn it, what do they call that thing that wraps around the basketball post? ... and how he stayed in and in the next 5 minutes dunked the ball. He actually dunks!

I adore CJ (see cat) and Ennis, but they are quieter people. Trevor has the "it" factor AND he will be with us for 2 more years after this one! So, we will get to know him better and better. When I see Trevor, I see GMac during the 2003 NCAA's, white gauze on his forehead covering stitches, and clapping his hands with that fierce look in his eyes.

Gbinije and Ennis are my favorites.

Trueblue25 said:
Gbinije and Ennis are my favorites.

No offense, but Gbinije...Why him if I can ask?

We can't help but root for him because of how hard he's worked and how long he's taken to get to where he is. First, red shirt. Second, highly anticipated debut. A "flop." Imagine what that was like for him! And then you hear the stories of his work ethic.
Remember the reports of seeing a lone SU player working on his shot in the Melo Center in the past off season?
Mr. Cooney...

Early dibs on BJ being the next Cooney. He looked absolutely awful last night and yet you know in the next 2-3 years he will be a favorite because of his abilities.

OrangeCrush22 said:
He was my favorite player since last season. Couldn't believe all the hate he got from people, and now all the love he gets from those same people. It's just like Fab Melo, except many fans are back to hating him for dumb reasons.

Being one of Fabs biggest fans and a huge believer in Cooney last season my like for this post wasn't enough. They didn't have a love button!

He's on par with Andy Rautins' senior year right now, if he can keep it up. That's freaking amazing to think about.

I went to the game with an old friend from my college years long ago who is now an optometrist in Geneva. On the drive to the game, he asked who was my favorite player on this year's team. My answer was confirmed some time in the second half when I realized that I am much more excited when Trevor Cooney is on the floor. I guess it could be described as anticipation. Although I surely enjoy the whole game, anticipating his next made 3 always has me on the edge of my seat.
My favorite is CJ, the senior and the face of this team. Perhaps because he is so smooth he is overlooked.

Wait for it...

So you prefer Shaky Potatoes to Salt Potatoes?

Its really too bad more of us couldn't take this attitude with respect to all of our players. They don't all hit their full potential at the same time......DC II comes to mind at the moment. I sat in front of a 20 ish kid and his dad at the game on Saturday and I listened to them talk about how DC sucks, is a huge bust and only plays because "he" (assume JB) doesn't want to admit his mistake. Really pissed me off listening to it. If you want to criticize elements of his game, that seems like fair game, but just don't get why people want to rush to label one of our own a bust.

Its really too bad more of us couldn't take this attitude with respect to all of our players. They don't all hit their full potential at the same time......DC II comes to mind at the moment. I sat in front of a 20 ish kid and his dad at the game on Saturday and I listened to them talk about how DC sucks, is a huge bust and only plays because "he" (assume JB) doesn't want to admit his mistake. Really pissed me off listening to it. If you want to criticize elements of his game, that seems like fair game, but just don't get why people want to rush to label one of our own a bust.

Part of being a fan for many is thinking they everything and more then the coach. College offers different challenges to different kids and therefore their maturation time varies. Dc2 is a product of iffy competition in HS. I believe he matures well in the next 2 years.

That said there are a lot of dumb fans out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom