A pretty fair review | Syracusefan.com

A pretty fair review

“…..and the veteran kickers are better than they played in 2021.”

I think this is an important point. For whatever reason, our kicking/punting game became atrocious last season. It hurt us repeatedly, and probably cost us a game and maybe two.

I do not expect a repeat of last season’s kicking/punting problems. That alone would be a huge positive in 2022.

“…..and the veteran kickers are better than they played in 2021.”

I think this is an important point. For whatever reason, our kicking/punting game became atrocious last season. It hurt us repeatedly, and probably cost us a game and maybe two.

I do not expect a repeat of last season’s kicking/punting problems. That alone would be a huge positive in 2022.
I think Dino learned last year about Special Teams.

Fair except he didn’t know about Lamson and I think maybe noting his injury, even if it hadn’t yet been announced that he was going to miss the season, would have shown he was following the team closely

I think Dino learned last year about Special Teams.
Bees pointed out that Dino went with a combination of coaches last year which ended up being a total disaster. In JW post season press conference he spoke about special teams. Thank goodness Dino followed directions and by all accounts landed a heck of a coach.
Hopefully our All American gets his form back and we find a punter. The return and coverage teams for both punt and kick were ok last year. It is the actual kicking that needs significant improvement.

Fair except he didn’t know about Lamson and I think maybe noting his injury, even if it hadn’t yet been announced that he was going to miss the season, would have shown he was following the team closely
That's about where I lost interest in the article and decided to skip ahead and read comments here, as they're more informed actually.

There’s 130 teams, he’s not a Syracuse beat writer.

You don’t need to be a coach to see their were issues.
KC is implying that Dino hiring a ST coach was a mandate from Wildhack, based on Wildhack mentioning poor special teams play in a late season presser.

ADs don't get involved in staff decisions beyond the head coach, unless they want to run off coaches.

If a former TV executive is dictating staff decisions to a career football coach, we got big problems.

So dead on! It's why I dumped my Dino stock quite a ways back. Clearly, IMO, an impersonator at the high(er) P5 type/level football coach. He can certainly talk the talk though...

So dead on! It's why I dumped my Dino stock quite a ways back. Clearly, IMO, an impersonator as a high(er) level P5 type football coach. He can certainly talk the talk though.
We kinda hired Dino for his offense, didn't we? Turned out, it was Sean Lewis' offense.

We kinda hired Dino for his offense, didn't we? Turned out, it was Sean Lewis' offense.

Indeed. He was brought to the Hill for his alleged "offensive guru" stature/reputation. Ha, what a joke! We took the bait and swallowed the hook, line and sinker.

Moreover, how many coaches get to clean house twice on their offensive staff, still not produce and fail miserably and survive?

What's that old saying? Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice... ;):mad:

So dead on! It's why I dumped my Dino stock quite a ways back. Clearly, IMO, an impersonator at the high(er) P5 type/level football coach. He can certainly talk the talk though...
You’re completely missing my point. Wildhack isn’t dictating staffing decisions to any of his head coaches.

You’re completely missing my point. Wildhack isn’t dictating staffing decisions to any of his head coaches.

Perhaps, not front and center, etc. However, undoubtedly (in my opinion) behind the scenes JW was strongly advising you better not only swing for the fences this time (an unheard of 3rd time around) you better clear it!

Perhaps, not front and center, etc. However, undoubtedly (in my opinion) behind the scenes JW was strongly advising you better not only swing for the fences this time (an unheard of 3rd time around) you better clear it!
That’s not how Athletic Directors operate.

If a former TV executive is dictating staff decisions to a career football coach, we got big problems.
Alternatively, Dino may have said “Hey I’d love to get back to having a dedicated top notch specials coach, but under the current budget, I couldn’t afford to keep Lustig (or replace him) and also bring on these upgraded defensive coaches”.

Then we have a disastrous ST season and ADJW has pretty stark evidence to go get more money for Dino’s staff (not to mention the necessary upgrades on the Offensive side)

There is evidence that Dino already saw the value of having a dedicated top notch specials coach given he hired one right after his first year here.

It almost always comes down to money and my guess is Dino built the staff he could with the resources afforded to him (We lost Justin Lustig to VANDERBILT!!!)

KC is implying that Dino hiring a ST coach was a mandate from Wildhack, based on Wildhack mentioning poor special teams play in a late season presser.

ADs don't get involved in staff decisions beyond the head coach, unless they want to run off coaches.
I am not so sure. Given Dino's status I would guess a properly worded suggestion or even a question would be enough to send the message without demanding anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom